Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Meet Gloria  (Read 11209 times)

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
Re: Meet Gloria
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 08:04:20 PM »

To my ear it's the best key for a melodeon! All the notes from high to low are playable. It's warm in the lower register without being murky the way a GC can be.

100% Agreed - even the low F row in the Vallenato and F/Bb/Eb/Ab steirishes is crystal clear and rich - though these boxes ARE 3 voice MMM . a lovely key
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 06:40:40 AM »

I can't really see the attraction of this totally obscure key (Bb Eb). Would it enable you to play alongside a clarinet or so?

"Totally obscure" is an odd way to describe two of the most widely used keys in brass band & big band music, not to mention a lot of vocal music, church music and jazz.........

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 09:45:22 PM »

I can't really see the attraction of this totally obscure key (Bb Eb). Would it enable you to play alongside a clarinet or so?
"Totally obscure" is an odd way to describe two of the most widely used keys in brass band & big band music, not to mention a lot of vocal music, church music and jazz.........
Graham
:|bl  oops

well I'm not overly keen on brass bands and modern church music - that might explain things. I like clarinets - but they'll just have to buy one in C.

It's warm in the lower register without being murky the way a GC can be.
I'm still ruminating on how to reply diplomatically, Airtime, murky... what are you talking about >:E >:E >:E >:E >:E >:E >:E >:E >:E

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 10:16:02 PM »

It's warm in the lower register without being murky the way a GC can be.
I'm still ruminating on how to reply diplomatically, Airtime, murky... what are you talking about >:E >:E >:E >:E >:E >:E >:E >:E >:E

Well you know, like this. I need to play in murkier keys!  :|glug
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 10:26:45 PM »

Gloria has disgraced herself today. She's spent the last 24 hours in cramps having new bellows frame corner blocks and such like glued in place. Result? leaks like sieve. Old bellows pin holes to be filled in, brand new bellows gasket to be scraped off and discarded and we start again from scratch.

Now out of bellows gasket so a Theo order is pending. I have a tin of lighter fuel and I know how to use it!
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 10:28:41 PM »

I have a tin of lighter fuel and I know how to use it!

(:)

AirTime

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2013, 10:50:43 PM »

That sounds a bit excessive. Sometimes, all a recalcitrant box needs a good, old-fashioned thrashing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

AirTime

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2013, 11:11:34 PM »

I'm still ruminating on how to reply diplomatically, Airtime, murky... what are you talking about

Personally, I spend quite a bit of time playing my GC boxes, but I was trying to make a case for BbEb in a way that might appeal to an anglo-centric player with a fixation on the ... err ... higher end of human auditory capabilities.  ;) 

1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2013, 11:18:34 PM »

That sounds a bit excessive. Sometimes, all a recalcitrant box needs a good, old-fashioned thrashing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78b67l_yxUc

Basil was an excessively patient man, something I've never really understood don't you know? I'm a great fan of sledgehammers and flame-throwers, terribly good at dispensing piles of crap to Room 101 innit?
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 11:33:48 PM »

I'm still ruminating on how to reply diplomatically, Airtime, murky... what are you talking about

Personally, I spend quite a bit of time playing my GC boxes, but I was trying to make a case for BbEb in a way that might appeal to an anglo-centric player with a fixation on the ... err ... higher end of human auditory capabilities.  ;)
???
Well you know, like this. I need to play in murkier keys! 
???

Is it me or is this some kind of surreal weird British humour?  ;)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 11:45:39 PM »

is this some kind of surreal weird British humour?  ;)

Yes. :-[

Heaven:   Where the French do the cooking, the Germans make the cars, and the English do the humour
Hell:    Where the French make the cars, the English do the cooking and the Germans do the humour ;D ;D ;D
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 11:49:14 PM »

???
Well you know, like this. I need to play in murkier keys! 
???

Is it me or is this some kind of surreal weird British humour?  ;)

Did you follow the link? It led to a lovely tune that I love to bits! Played really well (in my opinion) on a G/C box. "Is it me or is this some kind of surreal weird British humour"? Not that I'm aware of but Theo's reply takes the sting out of the tail!
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

boisterous budgie

• Regular debater
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 11:57:48 PM »

Did you follow the link? It led to a lovely tune that I love to bits! Played really well (in my opinion) on a G/C box.
But the lady wasn't even playing in the lower octave?  ??? 

Heaven:   Where the French do the cooking, the Germans make the cars, and the English do the humour
LOL by the way, you obviously didn't watch the documentary about hygiene in French kitchens.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 07:28:25 AM »

I can't really see the attraction of this totally obscure key (Bb Eb).

Oh dear!  :o

In & of itself, to my ear, it's the best key for a melodeon! All the notes from high to low are playable. It's warm in the lower register without being murky the way a GC can be.
  Couldn't agree more with Airtime. When I first picked up a Bb Eb I  was astounded by the richness of sound.
I just wonder why D/G became the "social key" for English folk music
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 07:44:25 AM »

Hell:    Where the French make the cars, the English do the cooking and the Germans do the humour ;D ;D ;D

Fantastic Theo  ;D - but what all three have in common is they all make superb Folk music  ;D

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 07:45:31 AM »

No idea , it should be C/F like it is in a large portion of Europe and the Americas

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 07:53:49 AM »

No idea , it should be C/F like it is in a large portion of Europe and the Americas

Exactly what I thought Adam
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 08:51:59 AM »

I think we may have been here before, though I haven't time at the moment to search for the relevant thread. If I recall correctly, we largely have Peter Kennedy to blame thank for the dominance of the D/G in English music; apparently he had a batch of Hohners made in D/G for the EFDSS Folk Shop in the belief that it would make it easier for fiddlers & melodeon players to play together.  Personally I can't see what the problem would have been with a readily available G/C (or a selection of 1-rows!), but there you go......

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 10:10:59 AM »

With regards D/G being the standard tuning for English playing - I think the boat has gone!  People who play them are just starting to catch up with the fact that richer notes are available below that tuning and slowly converting to 4th or even 5th button starts to compensate.

Peter Kennedy was kind of right too - a lot of folk fiddle (although definitely not all) was played around open strings with D/G/A being the 3 favoured keys for a lot of players.  I presume that along with ease of fingering for the fiddlers it was also about getting the loudest brightest sound from their instruments in an unamplified world.

Cheers

Squeezy
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 01:32:57 PM »

Peter Kennedy was kind of right too - a lot of folk fiddle (although definitely not all) was played around open strings with D/G/A being the 3 favoured keys for a lot of players.  I presume that along with ease of fingering for the fiddlers it was also about getting the loudest brightest sound from their instruments in an unamplified world.

Cheers

Squeezy

He also published the Fiddler's Tune Books back in the fifties (first tune books I ever had in the early seventies) and most of the tunes were in G or D with odd excursion into A which helped cement the idea of the D/G box being the one to go for.

Steve
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal