Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon beginners who play other instruments  (Read 2812 times)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
Melodeon beginners who play other instruments
« on: July 27, 2013, 10:32:34 AM »

Picking up on skyflyer's post on Beginner's Showcase.......

As Anahata correctly said, having "a fully formed map of musical scales and chords - from playing guitar" definitely helped me from a musical standpoint but I have to say I've never struggled so much with a new instrument as I did with the melodeon.  From the physical aspect, being a guitarist gave me no help at all and at first, I might as well have been trying to play a toaster!!

Skyflyer, don't be discouraged by people's videos if they say they are a beginner and yet seem to be very proficient on the instrument.  Usually these videos are the results of many "takes".  You should see the rubbish that never makes it to You Tube on my videos!!  The only rule I make is that I never edit a performance only individual parts of a tune I'm discussing.

Playing a musical instrument should be enjoyable and sometimes that enjoyment gets sucked out as we worry about the "other stuff" that gets in the way, viz. : "Am I any good?"  "What do other musicians think of my playing?"  "What if I make a mistake?" etc.  This often happens to me when I'm rehearsing or recording my videos - it's a nasty little gremlin that creeps into your brain.  Recordings of any kind can fall foul of what I call the "NOWness".  This is when you start saying to yourself while you're playing - "I've got to get this right NOW or else I've got to start again." This can be a real curse!!  All I can say is the only way round this is to rehearse like crazy before you go for that red button and eventually you will get a take that's worthy of sharing with others.

Don't lose sight of your ultimate goal.  The problem I have is always trying to run before I can walk.  I'm currently teaching myself to play the Chromatic Button Accordion (alongside the melodeon) and I've had to give myself a sharp talking to in the last few days because I was trying to play some pretty hard pieces both hands together instead of approaching it from a "one hand at a time" method.

I have to say that I have learnt so much from all the truly excellent players' videos on here as well as the lesser mortals' efforts (like myself.)  One thing is for sure, on this forum you will never find a nicer bunch of guys and girls who will help you along your way at whatever stage you're at.

Sorry to ramble on - hope all this makes sense!! (:)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 10:44:13 AM by Daddy Long Les »
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Re: Melodeon beginners who play other instruments
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »

The problem I have is always trying to run before I can walk.  I'm currently teaching myself to play the Chromatic Button Accordion (alongside the melodeon) and I've had to give myself a sharp talking to in the last few days because I was trying to play some pretty hard pieces both hands together instead of approaching it from a "one hand at a time" method.

This is the problem with being an experienced musician approaching an alien instrument, you know exactly what you want to achieve but lack the reflex and mechanical skills needed to carry it off which can be very frustrating! There's nothing for it but to go back to basics and start practising rudimentary skills all over again. I'm still struggling to make any real progress bringing the left hand in to play after several years.  :(
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

mory

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 12:07:15 PM »

Obsession and compulsion. It's all you need and I reckon you have those in spades Les   ;) (have you considered the wonders of the British Chromatic Accordion) (:) All the Best mory

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:12:38 PM »

Obsession and compulsion. It's all you need and I reckon you have those in spades Les   ;) (have you considered the wonders of the British Chromatic Accordion) (:) All the Best mory

Thanks mory!  BCC#??!!! - this might be the end of my brain as we know it.  Yes I have considered it and am planning to programme my Roland FR-18 to give it a try.  Perhaps I should change my forum name to "Jack Of All Trades (Master Of None)".  Ha ha!! ;D
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 02:24:57 PM »

Agree with your theory completely, Les.  My background in wind instruments taught me to "speak music" and that really helped tremendously.  But my experience is different:  starting melodeon was ... not easy, but ... it really suited me.  Like, "Oh, yeah, this is what I was meant to do."  As opposed to wind instruments, which was like, "This is really uncomfortable blowing all the time."  Before getting my three-row, I did consider CBA.  Was that really what I wanted?  I have a feeling I'll be wondering about it until I actually take the plunge some time in the future.

I might as well have been trying to play a toaster!!

I actually play a mean toaster.  Ask my kids.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »

Do you play anything by Bread? ;D ;D

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 04:01:06 PM »

Before getting my three-row, I did consider CBA.  Was that really what I wanted?  I have a feeling I'll be wondering about it until I actually take the plunge some time in the future.

The CBA is great for those Russian songs/tunes.  I don't know if you know "Those Were The Days"? - this is what I'm trying to teach myself.  Although it was a hit for Welsh singer Mary Hopkin in 1968 it is actually an old Russian song from the early 20th century.  I play B system CBA which is perfect for all those "next-door-neighbour" chromatic runs which are a bit trickier on the melodeon (possibly not on a semitone box - but I don't have one of those?).  Don't get me wrong Gary - I still love my other boxes but it's very much "horses for courses".  To be honest - the CBA is so alien from the melodeon that I don't tend to get mixed up when I jump from one instrument to the other.  Anyhew - I'll be posting some CBA blogs soon so you can see for yourself! ;)

arty

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 04:14:27 PM »

Do you play anything by Bread? ;D ;D

I can do OB LA DI OB LA DA by Marmalade....perhaps we should get together!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 04:56:36 PM »

"I get up in the morning at six am
Have a little jelly have a little jam
Take a piece of bread put it in the slot
Press down on the button and the wires get hot
YEAH TOAST"

http://youtu.be/SHptn_3RyYE

You can get tab in Toaster Player magazine.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 04:59:09 PM by Gary Chapin »
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »

"I get up in the morning at six am
Have a little jelly have a little jam
Take a piece of bread put it in the slot
Press down on the button and the wires get hot
YEAH TOAST"

http://youtu.be/SHptn_3RyYE

You can get tab in Toaster Player magazine.

This is great Gary.  I've spread the word on Facebook! (:)

dunlustin

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 05:51:35 PM »

They are definitely having more fun over there!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal