Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Excelsior mini-any experience of this?  (Read 2528 times)

WendyG

• Good talker
  • Castagnari Clovis DG
Excelsior mini-any experience of this?
« on: March 13, 2009, 08:40:59 PM »

Hi
I went into one of the Hobgoblin stores to have a look at melodeons.  I have a Stephanelli but am looking for something a bit smaller, they had an Excelsior Mini, which was quite a bit cheaper than the same sized Castagnari Lily.  The chap in the store played a quick tune on it and it sounded alright and didn't appear to have a clackity keyboard, although it was rather loud (it was a flying visit as I had a train to catch, so didn't have time to have a go myself).  Has anyone had any experience of this make?

Wendy

jonm

• Regular debater
Re: Excelsior mini-any experience of this?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 10:17:33 AM »

I've played one in Hobgoblin back-to-back with a Lilly. Giving it some welly, I think the
Excelsior was a little louder and more strident, although these things can change for new instruments over time. It was also perfectly capable of sweeter tones if played gently, as per the Castagnari. Both can be very loud and cutting, ideal for outdoor use.

I'm not expert enough to comment on build quality, except I could find no flaws. The Excelsior is made by Pigini, who make utterly brilliant piano boxes.

I am very taken with these little one-voice boxes and am desperately saving for a Mini or Lilly.

Has anyone tried the Saltarelle one, I think it's the Epsilon?
Castagnari Mory and Giordy D/G, Hohner Erica, four-stop in G, two-stop in G

TomB-R

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 12:37:22 PM »

The one-reeders are great little devices judging by the Lilys I've met.

Concelodeons or Melotinas ? ;D

Tom

emrock

• Regular debater
  • Busker, based in Southern Germany
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 05:27:54 PM »

I've got a Excelsior Mini, and although I am no expert am very pleased with it. I tried both the mini and the lilly in the London hobgoblin and decided on the mini as i preferred it to the lilly. I would definitely recommend it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal