Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anahata layout and 4th button start  (Read 4397 times)

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
Anahata layout and 4th button start
« on: June 25, 2014, 10:44:35 AM »

Thinking about a microbot purchase with the above...

Question...I'm used to a standard 3rd button start...how difficult will it be to change my old ways or am I "too red in the nose"?

I play a lot of 1 row, so I'm used to different fingerings..

advice, cautionary tales and veiled insults welcome...

On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Anahata layout and 4th button start
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 11:00:58 AM »

Aged 60 I went 4th button on my 3row 18 months back, got used to it very quickly. My difficulty comes (eg in our session on Friday) in going back to 3rd on the Gaillard!

I also got Theo to Anahata/4th my old Lilly in 2012, intending it for a daughter. It's recently come back (she won't be a melodeonista!) … just had a go, really intuitive, despite being "clubbed". Anahata's 2nd button choices are excellent and chords just fall under your fingers. I chose to keep accidentals on both buttons (1); I think he has one accs, one low notes.

Do it! ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 11:34:02 AM »

Do it! ;)
That's what I have and I recommend it.  Not 60 yet though.  ;)
Mike

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 01:31:44 PM »

Having learnt to play the box with Ed Rennie, I still think of the G/A button as Button 6 and top G/F as button 12 etc. So playing a 4th button start box now, I still have this mental picture in my head and I just think of the top buttons as Button 0. It helps that playing a 2 1/2 row box means that the G button (on G row) is just physically diagonally above the 1st button of accidentals, so start position is obvious. Actually I now find that my sight reading skills have improved so that I have moved on from "play by numbers" to grown-up proper note names, but old habits die hard.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 01:32:54 PM »

Got my Tommy changed..... took  few tunes and that was that.
It's not an issue Baz, really, just get on with it!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 01:37:47 PM »

I went from 3rd button Pokerwork to my 4th button Oakwood. I don't remember having to go though a long hermit-like phase of adjustment before being safe to use it in public, but it was a long time ago now.

* It will take a very short  time to adjust to everything being 1 button further along, helped by the fact that it's a new box and will feel different anyway. Stretching the right amount for accidentals might be the worst part of that learning process.
* If you are used to 3rd button start, you don't have any previous "low note" habits to unlearn.
* Your first two buttons of the low scale work exactly like the first two buttons of the next octave up, and the next 4 notes of the scale (from D to G) are unchanged anyway, so it's not all that revolutionary. (and as Chris says, it means all the basses/chords work the way you expect)
* The only thing that's "odd" is the G scale starts on the D row, but it lies very comfortably under the hand as your 1st finger is shorter than your second (mine is anyway...) It's worth getting used to using your little finger for the 5th note of the scale.

Things you might miss, but only if your previous box had low notes instead of accidentals.
- low D on pull
- low F# on the D row, if you ever used that...

I might be biased, of course  ;)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 01:44:17 PM »

I was referring to right hand chords! Your low B-push, low A-pull particularly welcome. The basses are surely the same?  I'd observe that "Anahata layout" is to some extent optimised for playing in G, but you have a nice pull true A7 chord on the right
  _       _    _      _ 

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 02:12:50 PM »

I know it's kind of evading the issue, but a small club box will do the job.  I've never learnt to manage 12 basses, my little hands slide up to the top of the strap so a de-clubbed club layout gives me all the advantages of low notes and accidentals without the complication of the extra basses.  The smaller Hohners (excluding Preciosas and Liliputs) are only a tad bigger than a Pokerwork and built to a higher standard.  They're really nice after a rebuild.  I'm sure Mr Rowbotham could advise.

Rob.

Prestidigitator

• Respected Sage
  • Saltarelle, Hohner, Oakwood Baffetti
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 03:19:28 PM »

I have a mix of 3rd and 4th button starts on various boxes; Hohners, Italian and French ones. I don't find any problem in switching between them now, and I don't recall any major upsets in getting used to 4th button, after years of 3rd.

I much prefer 4th button anyway, especially on a straight 2-row, and my only regret is that I still haven't had them all changed to that.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 03:51:19 PM »

I swap regularly between my one- and two-row boxes, which all have a third button start, and my three-row boxes, which both have a fourth button start. I have never had any difficulty in doing so, even when I acquired my first box with a fourth button start. A player of your ability won't have any problem either, Baz.

If you want to dispel any doubts, approach somebody at a festival who has a box with a fourth button start and ask to have a practice with it. You would be welcome to try one of mine at Sidmouth or Whitby if you are going to either of those festivals this year.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 04:12:23 PM »

It's a quick learn.

You will miss it when you go back to the "old system" on someone else's box and your low notes aren't there!
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 06:05:41 PM »

It's a quick learn.

You will miss it when you go back to the "old system" on someone else's box and your low notes aren't there!

Yep, exactly what I found! (Cured by thinking about the tune choice, before starting to play it!!!)

.... and the increased stretch to the accidentals.

Go for it, Baz!!
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 06:30:42 PM »

As someone with small bands, I don't find making the accidentals one button further away much more of a stretch.
My other box is a Hascy, my main instrument of choice and a full sized keyboard. I seem to be currently learning tunes with accidental runs and stretching gets easier with practice and no problem even with small hands.
It shouldn't be a problem for you Baz.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

EastAnglianTed

• The wise wearer of the onesie
  • Castagnari Hascy-East Anglia for the win!
    • My Youtube account
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 09:50:58 PM »

As someone with small bands, I don't find making the accidentals one button further away much more of a stretch.
    Small bands eh?  :P

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 09:56:20 PM »

so what's a 'b' or an 'h' missed between friends?  ;)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 10:28:29 PM »

Definitely agree with all that's written above ... I've found Anahata's the most versatile 4th button start with accidentals layout for most kinds of music - you should definitely go for it - I can't think of any cons.

Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 10:40:14 PM »

A player of your ability won't have any problem either, Baz.
:|bl :|bl :|bl

I thought you were a man of taste and discernment Bob...you're too kind...

looks like I have my answer...thanks all...

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 10:45:19 PM »

arrived today...a thing of beauty...played straight away :||:...didn't really notice the difference, as you all said...cheers all...
 :|glug
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal