Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanted Second Hand Giordy preferably with case and straps  (Read 490 times)

Yvonne

Wanted Second Hand Giordy preferably with case and straps
« on: March 18, 2017, 03:47:50 PM »

Wanted in good condition
Second Hand Giordy preferably with case and straps

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
Re: Wanted Second Hand Giordy preferably with case and straps
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:02:12 PM »

Wanted in good condition
Second Hand Giordy preferably with case and straps

me too! i dont need a case, but i want one in BC (or something else half tone) :-)

W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

jonm

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:45:16 PM »

I've not been able to find a hardshell case which would fit it comfortably, apart from one of those waterproof, shockproof, everythingproof bright yellow cases for technical instruments which would cost more than the Giordy. Unless anyone knows different...

They fit a variety of squashy camera bags very well.

Also, the strap bracket size and location precludes easy fitment of a second strap.
Castagnari Tommy and Giordy D/G, Hohner four-stop in G

Helena

• The joy of Streb
  • Nine-box Nelly
    • Dorking Tune Sessions
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 06:33:33 PM »

I've not been able to find a hardshell case which would fit it comfortably, apart from one of those waterproof, shockproof, everythingproof bright yellow cases for technical instruments which would cost more than the Giordy. Unless anyone knows different...

Also, the strap bracket size and location precludes easy fitment of a second strap.

Hi Jon

Mine came with a small flight case. It fits the Giordy fairly well but I rarely use it as I have the camera bag I generally use.  Now, do I want to sell my Giordy?  Not sure.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Dorking Tune SessionsForty Foot Sword | Taylor's Men | Nellodeon on Soundcloud| Melodeon Playgroup | Kingston Morris | Spring Grove MM

DCB

• Morris: Castagnari Tommy D/G, Giordy D/G
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 03:37:34 AM »

I got a Pelican 1300 - fits perfectly, took out all the foam in the middle and just left the top and bottom
about NZ$120, around $60 in UK
https://peliproducts.co.uk/index.php/cases.html

If the plane goes down, the box will be found bobbing around in the ocean!

Castagnari Tommy D/G, Castagnari Giordy D/G, Dino Baffetti Black Pearl D/G, and a number of other elderly boxes

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 10:15:40 AM »

i am not using a case either, and indeed a camerabag works. But usually i just put it in whatever i carry, it just fits with everything. And 1 strap seems plenty to me ;-)

W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

DCB

• Morris: Castagnari Tommy D/G, Giordy D/G
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 06:33:17 PM »

just one strap is fine, especially given the tiny size and weight of the Giordy
I found I changed the way I hold the box, with it tilted pretty much down and using my left arm straight down beside me with the bellows pretty much extended all the time.
This lets gravity do much of the work and gets round the way the box can jiggle about a bit

I've subsequently found myself playing my Tommy, which I also use with just one strap, in the same way - much more relaxing than holding it up and playing horizontally. And that's after playing that for 20 years!

Using just one strap lets you move a box about more (bit of a show!) and is a lot quicker to get on and off
does take a bit of getting used to if you've always had it clasped firmly under your chin, but it is a lot better.
I brace it with my thumb on the edge of the keyboard (nicely grooved on the Castagnari boxes)
Also, holding it lower down with your right arm less bent is always going to help blood flow to your fingers.
Castagnari Tommy D/G, Castagnari Giordy D/G, Dino Baffetti Black Pearl D/G, and a number of other elderly boxes

RogerT

• can't walk past a box w'out picking it up...
    • Jolly Roger Accordions
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 07:27:40 AM »

I recently acquired a DG Giordy and carry it in an old gas mask back, wrapped in a sheet of bubble wrap. I was mocked relentlessly, however, at a session recently. Someone suggested it might be suitable as a fashion accessory for Victoria Beckham, and christened it a Beckham. But...it is *extremely* loud, piercing even, and I have baffled the right hand inside the grille to quiet it down a decibel or two. The action is super fast, due to the hand finished reeds and excellent Castagnari keyboard, so it's great for playing fast reels/jigs. Probably the lower pitched ones (say in GC or BC) are not quite as penetrating sound wise.
....later...I should also add that you can do some really nice things with the 'bass' side on a Giordy, that you cannot really do on a full size melodeon, which  makes it a unique little instrument. There are all sorts of three finger combinations that sound very lovely, if you play with delicacy, which is probably the best way to play a Giordy.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:07:00 AM by RogerT »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.