Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For learning by ear: The Redesdale, The Hesleyside and The Lincolnshire Polka  (Read 1905 times)

gmatkin

• Gavin Atkin
    • Julieandhersqueeze.com

I've made some more videos for the Horsmonden workshop and thought it might be useful to share, especially who play by ear because I play the tunes slowly for that purpose - many of the Horsmonden lot either choose to learn tunes by ear (having developed the technique) or don't read.

The Redesdale Hornpipe https://youtu.be/ODl8ZabWwPY

The Hesleyside Reel https://youtu.be/H8TStsxe3ws

The link to the third tune will be in a following post in a moment.

Gavin

gmatkin

• Gavin Atkin
    • Julieandhersqueeze.com

The Lincolnshire Polka https://youtu.be/hd9tl5Sle-I

Cheers! Gavin

PS - if you enjoy these or find them useful, do drop me a line. This forum has a way of being very silent...

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield

It's great that you're doing these, Gavin. i hope it is paying off! Unfortunately I am not near enough to get to your sessions. If you ever get to Sheffield though...
Mike

gmatkin

• Gavin Atkin
    • Julieandhersqueeze.com

It pays off very nicely down here in Kent thanks! What's happened is we now have a bunch of players going to workshops and sessions that know lots of tunes and play them together well. The result is some cracking little sessions and it's added to the fun of living where we live, just south of Maidstone.

We were in Sheffield for the Sessions Festival, though I was on fiddle duty...

Gavin

Jonathan Arnett

These are great. Thanks for sharing. Really like the Lincolnshire Polka. Must give that a try. I can read the dots but watching and listening helps to know I'm on the right row for the basses. Kids in bed now so will have to try that another day.

Ken Watson

• Good talker

The Lincolnshire Polka https://youtu.be/hd9tl5Sle-I
PS - if you enjoy these or find them useful, do drop me a line. This forum has a way of being very silent...

This is actually "The Burton-upon-Stather Broom Dance Tune" from The Burton-upon-Stather Plough Jags.
It was collected by Mo Ogg and Robert Pacey from Osbourne Readhead (then living in Ashby) on 28th Dec. 1978.

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C

This is actually "The Burton-upon-Stather Broom Dance Tune" from The Burton-upon-Stather Plough Jags.
It was collected by Mo Ogg and Robert Pacey from Osbourne Readhead (then living in Ashby) on 28th Dec. 1978.

Too many years ago I used to dance a Broom Dance to that tune.  Unfortunately the original dance had been lost so it was a fairly generic dance (could also be done to the Keel Row).  Maurice Ogg was one of the good guys, great bloke and fully in tune with Lincolnshire traditions and culture.  Him and Brian Dawson were two of my heroes when I first got into folk song and music.

Steve

gmatkin

• Gavin Atkin
    • Julieandhersqueeze.com

Thanks - that's good to know Ken. I'll add a note to that effect to the YouTube.

Gavin

WestOz

• Regular debater

Hi Gavin,
As previously mentioned, I find your instructive videos very useful. Many of the tunes are now played at the English session here in Perth - just moved from The Moon and Sixpence English pub (being demolished) to Rosie O'Gradies Irish Pub. If you happen to be out here (like Roland Carson), come along!
Will visit your session next time in the UK.
Cheers
Terry
Castagnari Dony, DB Oakwood, Hohner Pressedwood,Liliput,Preciosa,Octoput,etc.

Gary

• Respected Sage

I really like your videos Gavin as i learn by ear and appreciate the breakdown(not that Kind) of the tune . Recently I made a short escape to England Oxfordshire and had my training validated at the Bell Inn before returning to the sparsely populated Highlands of Scotland where Dg button boxes are not breeding well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal