Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Le Son Continu - ?mel-meet?  (Read 4663 times)

Maggie

• Regular debater
Le Son Continu - ?mel-meet?
« on: June 18, 2017, 05:41:44 PM »

Perhaps this has been posted already and I have missed it.

The wonderful festival, Le Son Continu is on the 13th to 17th July, at Château d'Ars.  Brilliant music, endless dancing and lots of melodeon makers and sellers - (and other instruments!).  I bought my melodeon there two years ago, this year my husband is looking to buy a Cornemuse du Centre - I need to learn to play louder!

It would be good to meet up with any mel-net folk who are planning to be there ......

Maggie  :|||:
Saltarelle l'elfique 19+2 in G/C - and a wee Hohner Lilliput in D/G

La Creuse, France - the land of calm and of brillant traditional music 🎶

Roger Howard

Re: Le Son Continu - ?mel-meet?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 04:38:52 PM »

I can't quite make it. But have a great time. I know of a small group of NSP players going, so you could keep an eye open for them. Need to be able to play in F, though ....  ::)

Roger
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Barry M

• bmelodeon
  • Good talker
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 11:27:01 AM »

Hi Maggie
My wife and I will be going to the festival this year for the first time
We are booked into the Notre Dame Hotel in La Chatre
Looking forward to the music and lots of dancing
We are there for all of the four days
Any hints or tips about how to get the best from the festival would be appreciated
Would be good to meet up with you and any other mel-net folk there

Cheers

Barry

robotmay

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »

Last year security was tighter due to the Paris attacks, so if you carry a penknife (which I normally do) you may have to check it in at the gate (:) Or English it up a notch until they get fed up and let you through anyway.

You will almost certainly fall asleep in the evening concerts. The music is great but the organisers seem to think that what everyone needs on a warm summer's evening is very soft and easy-going music, to lull the entire audience off into a late evening nap.

Make sure to take a look around the château! It was occupied by George Sand and features a lot of early photographs.

It'll probably be hot but it's lovely in the shade of the trees. Plenty of opportunity for lounging about.

Barry M

• bmelodeon
  • Good talker
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 11:26:52 PM »

Very useful info
Sounds great
Thank you
Barry

BJG

• Regular debater
    • Magicfolk
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 08:24:19 AM »

Was looking at this but can't make it this year - maybe next time...enjoy!

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 03:48:22 PM »

In all likelyhood, i will be there :-)
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Maggie

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 07:20:21 AM »

Hi Maggie
My wife and I will be going to the festival this year for the first time
We are booked into the Notre Dame Hotel in La Chatre
Looking forward to the music and lots of dancing
We are there for all of the four days
Any hints or tips about how to get the best from the festival would be appreciated
Would be good to meet up with you and any other mel-net folk there 

I do love this festival, even 'though it is getting bigger each year, there is still a relaxed and friendly feel to it - once you have got through the security at the entrance.  Be prepared for queues as everyone has their bags etc checked.
Comfy shoes, sun protection and a cup holder - you buy a plastic beaker with your first drink and re-use it.  There is lots going on.  I would recommend the trad dance workshops and the various 'less well known' groups who play in the chateau courtyard.  Always loads of loose sessions around the instrument makers' stands; a veritable cacophony of sounds!
We don't go into the evening concerts because we find the crowded, bench seating just too restrictive.  Instead, we sit outside and listen.  More relaxed and easy to dance or wander off to see what else is happening.
I suppose my best advice is to just dive in - so much more fun to be dancing and playing rather than always a spectator.
It would be fine to meet up, but difficult to organise - my melodeon bag has a Scottish flag on the back, so you might spot me.
Maybe see you there

Maggie :|||:

Maggie

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 07:25:14 AM »

I can't quite make it. But have a great time. I know of a small group of NSP players going, so you could keep an eye open for them. Need to be able to play in F, though ....  ::)

Roger

Excuse my ignorance, but what is NSP?
Playing in F ...... I am a G/C girl, but will still look out for them even if we don't play in the same language!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 07:49:53 AM »

NSP = Northumbrian Smallpipes
They are traditionally in F (though also traditionally not quite at A=440 concert pitch, which can be a problem, but I think modern makers have fixed that)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 07:59:04 AM »

I think it would be true to say that modern pipmakers are starting to fix it,  but there is still no well established pitch for NSP chapters.  Concert F, concert G and traditional F+20cents are all still common. 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 08:32:17 AM »

My pipes made by David Burleigh are in D.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Roger Howard

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 09:12:15 AM »

Apologies for the shorthand, Maggie ... My lame excuse is habit.

Playing with others can be an issue for nspipers, but it can be done. The multi-instrument sesion which my wife (hammered dulcimer) and I have started going to actually asked two of us to bring our pipes, so that we could play a few tunes. Everyone else went down to F, while we played in G. I'm told it sounded good, but I was too busy trying to play the right notes! No melodeons were present, however.  ;)

Roger
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 09:21:16 AM by Roger Howard »
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 09:19:34 AM »

Back to topic! 🙄

My main holiday is August this year but I've done Ch.D'Ars 3 times and St Chartier (predecessor) …though most of the 90's. The "big thing" of this festival is its internationalism. It began as a festival for "musical instrument makers" and remains that. They come from all over Europe, bringing their instruments, culture, families, and usually a musician or two ("demonstrators" get in free).

So a great melting pot (even if the sun doesn't blaze all 4 days) 😉

BtW Gooikoorts festival 7,8,9 July is unusually well placed as an "en route" festival this year. Excellent music, soft camping, cheap! super Belgian beers and another instrument maart. Gooik is a bit south of Brussels, in S Brabbant. If you get there with kids the new Waterloo museum is a MUST. I'll be getting to that one.
  _       _    _      _ 

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 09:23:16 AM »

As for "meet" … back in about 1998 our friends in the Bagpipe Society (back OFF topic!) announced their AGM as:-

"St Chartier, on the Thursday, about 2pm, by the church in the field"  :o
  _       _    _      _ 

Barry M

• bmelodeon
  • Good talker
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 11:03:48 AM »

The "big thing" of this festival is its internationalism. It began as a festival for "musical instrument makers" and remains that. They come from all over Europe, bringing their instruments, culture, families, and usually a musician or two
Interesting thank you for that Chris

You will almost certainly fall asleep in the evening concerts. The music is great but the organisers seem to think that what everyone needs on a warm summer's evening is very soft and easy-going music, to lull the entire audience off into a late evening nap.

Make sure to take a look around the château! It was occupied by George Sand and features a lot of early photographs.

It'll probably be hot but it's lovely in the shade of the trees. Plenty of opportunity for lounging about.

Sounds great
Thanks for that robotmay

I would recommend the trad dance workshops and the various 'less well known' groups who play in the chateau courtyard.  Always loads of loose sessions around the instrument makers' stands; a veritable cacophony of sounds!
We don't go into the evening concerts because we find the crowded, bench seating just too restrictive.  Instead, we sit outside and listen.  More relaxed and easy to dance or wander off to see what else is happening.
I suppose my best advice is to just dive in - so much more fun to be dancing and playing rather than always a spectator.
Maybe see you there
Useful info we will do our best to dive in  (:)
Will look out for the Scottish flag 
Thank you Maggie

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 11:07:17 AM by Barry M »

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 11:34:40 AM »

Doesn't seem much point in making NSPs in concert F - incompatible with everybody.

The original pitch is actually G at A=405 or thereabouts - a common old French baroque pitch.  Some recorder makers use it, particularly for instruments modelled after Debey.  So there are some instruments that can play along with the F-off crowd.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 01:44:59 PM »

Doesn't seem much point in making NSPs in concert F - incompatible with everybody.
Sorry, I don't agree. I have two chanters for my Small Pipes, one in concert G and the other in concert F. The latter sounds particularly sweet and is totally compatible with just about any other instrument - fiddle, flute, recorder, clarinet, concertinas, C/F melodeons (especially!) and in fact a chamber orchestra - I once performed a short concerto for NSP and string orchestra.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2017, 11:53:35 AM »

Looks like I'll be able to make it this year ;D

I'll be camping on site in me tin tent (the one with the fridge and freezer) ...any info on the Melnet meet?

Might be able to co-ordinate arrival time to pitch up with other melnetters (nsp-ers) ...pm or e-mail

Still some loose ends to tie up but hoping to cross via the tunnel on the 10th (or maybe the 9th at a push)
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Maggie

• Regular debater
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2017, 07:29:49 PM »

I would like to meet with some melnet folk if possible, so I intend to be at the wee bar, opposite the conference entrance to the Château at 7 pm ish on Thursday 13th.

Hope to see you there

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal