Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: History of Saltarelle?  (Read 41565 times)

Joel Summers

History of Saltarelle?
« on: October 18, 2017, 03:36:38 PM »

Does anyone have any history or background on the company?  I see that they started in 1984.  Are they a French company where the accordions are made in Italy?  I'll be starting on a B/C Saltarelle and would just like to know where my instrument came from.  Thanks!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: History of Saltarelle?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 03:41:06 PM »

They are a design and marketing business based in France. They have instruments made in Italy and have used different makers over the years.  Information on which Italian firms are the actual makers is not easy to find.  Likewise the makers of the reeds they use has varied over time, and the reeds are never marked with the red makers name.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

triskel

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 06:21:36 PM »

Are they a French company where the accordions are made in Italy?

They are indeed, and I guess (actual French makers) Maugein's slogan "Le fabricant qui fabrique" was aimed squarely at them! 

I'll be starting on a B/C Saltarelle and would just like to know where my instrument came from.

If it's an early model of Nuage it would have been made by Serenellini (who still build them as their 233 De-Luxe) and those are considered the best of them, but most have been made by Dino Baffetti who've built most Saltarelles - though some models these days look similar to Mengascini ones.

Edited to remove s from Nuage - I must remember it's not the Django Reinhardt tune of that name...  ::)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 08:33:32 PM »

Mine - 30-odd years old now - is definitely a Serenellini,and I was assured by the reputable dealer who sold it to me that the reeds are Binci. I have no proof of that - as Theo says, there's no maker's name on them - but they're sweet and loud and have given me no trouble in all the time I've owned the box.  I've played later Saltarelles, but never found one as nice as my old Pastourelle II.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 08:35:37 PM »

UK history:
I brought Saltarelle to the UK in 1985 to compliment the Castagnari range which I began importing in 1984.
The quality control was rather dubious so I handed the dealership to Rod Stradling who then invented the Sterling range. Nuage, etc.
Later it passed into the hands of what became The Music Room.
I'm not sure who has it now.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 09:58:31 PM »

Saltarelle is, as you say, a French company who design and market mainly diatonic accordions that are made in Italian factories.  The man who started and ran the company for most of its life was George Roux ... for the main part the melodeons have been produced by Dino Baffetti who will still not produce their own range of similar looking models or 2.5 row boxes because of their agreements with Saltarelle.  For a time - they used Serenellini for the main ranges and it was about this time that Serenellini began to make their own branded very similar models - probably one of the reasons Saltarelle went back to Baffetti!

For some other special models Saltarelle have used various other Italian makers.

George Roux passed the leadership of the company on to his son a little while back ... his attitude, at least in the UK, is that having an exclusive dealership with one company is not for them ... consequently any company can import Saltarelles to order, but no-one is committing to stocking a good selection of their range any more.

Saltarelles have always been pretty solid boxes with innovative designs in their time, but they have never had the same consistency or degree of finish found in many other similarly priced boxes.  If you try one out that feels and sounds great ... grab it with both hands!  Ordering sight unseen is a slightly more risky affair and always has been - that's when you need a good dealer!
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Joel Summers

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 08:00:11 PM »

The model I decided on is the Saltarelle Awen, which according to their website, looks to be a new model.  I wonder if Dino Baffetti or Mengascini made it.  I heard it played and it sounds amazing, so I guess at the end of the day. it doesn't matter who made it.  Thanks for the history lesson!   

triskel

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 09:30:23 PM »

The model I decided on is the Saltarelle Awen, which according to their website, looks to be a new model.  I wonder if Dino Baffetti or Mengascini made it.

To my eyes, used to dealing with Italian accordion makers, and the modifications they make for different customers, in different markets (as long as you buy enough of them like it!) that Saltarelle Awen looks the same as Baffetti's Art. 85 LCGB lusso model, only made in 23-key/flat-keyboard format (for the Irish market), along with some different trim and fretwork.

mory

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 09:50:07 PM »

Box keyboard bellows etc hmmm see your point triskel very similar ::) 

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 08:53:33 AM »

How very interesting. I've tuned a couple of 2v 2.5 row Salterelle (pastourelle) and really didn't like either of them, which surprised me, because my Nuage is marvellous and I'd never sell it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 01:08:56 PM by RogerT »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 08:59:54 AM »

Roger, if you come across the early black Connemara II 2.5 row they are almost always very sweet players.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Ellisteph

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 11:01:54 AM »

Some Salterelles have a Butterfly badge on them, including my own Connemara III 2.5 row. Does this indicate anything about their origin or reed type? I really like mine and it has served me well for over 20 years. I bought it from Rod Stradling after trying several models at his house; even though he advised me that a 2 row row with accidentals was all I would ever need I have found the extra notes really useful!
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 11:28:46 AM »

I've got an older Connemara II (dark brown stained wood) with the butterfly raised badge and it plays like an absolute dream.  I also have a newer mid-2000s black one in C/F with the larger "etched out" saltarelle name and logo and it is an absolute dog of an instrument!

They are like chalk and cheese.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 11:37:59 AM »

I've got an older Connemara II (dark brown stained wood) with the butterfly raised badge and it plays like an absolute dream.  I also have a newer mid-2000s black one in C/F with the larger "etched out" saltarelle name and logo and it is an absolute dog of an instrument!
Brian Peters has the equivalent Connemara III and it has the sweetest sound I've ever come across in a Saltarelle.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 11:38:12 AM »

How very interesting. I've tuned a couple of 2v 2.5 row Salterelle and really didn't like either of them, which surprised me, because my Nuage is marvellous and I'd never sell it.

I had a Nuage. It was marvellous. I sold it, regretted it .... *time passes*... I bought another one. That is marvellous too :)

Actually, just realised that by buying the second Nuage my avatar is accurate once more.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 11:53:43 AM »

I'd really love to get my paws on another Pastourelle 2, just like my old Serenellini one, bought from Rees thirty or so years ago. It's getting a bit cranky and creaky -now I wonder if Serenellini have kept the design specs !
The only change I'd make would be five rather than the four extra buttons I have.
I've tried one or two of the recent Saltarelle Pastourelles and suffice it to say   
one wouldn't be on my Christmas list. But as has been pointed out - they do vary.

J
Old Bones Dance Band

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »

I had a Berry with no badge or butterfly, just the "fag packet" inlay...I liked it a lot but some low life nicked it.

I still have a 4 stop in D (model called Cajun, I think..mine has metal stops. but I have seen them with plastic ends.). It's fast, loud and has served me well for 25 years

I would still like my Hohner back mind, if the person who "borrowed" it would like to get in touch...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

pbsalt

• Respected Sage
  • Location NE Fife
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »

This is a fascinating thread - I bought my Nuage ( with butterfly)  from Rod Stradling in the early 1990's and wouldn't swap it for anything.
However, I've often wondered what I'd get as a replacement should anything happen to it . From this thread sounds like I should look at Serenelliis .
thanks all ... 
Paul
Location NE Fife

mselic

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 01:30:44 PM »

I still have a 4 stop in D (model called Cajun, I think..mine has metal stops. but I have seen them with plastic ends.). It's fast, loud and has served me well for 25 years

I would love to hear this! Any sound or video clips?
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

mory

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 01:49:39 PM »

This is a fascinating thread - I bought my Nuage ( with butterfly)  from Rod Stradling in the early 1990's and wouldn't swap it for anything.
However, I've often wondered what I'd get as a replacement should anything happen to it . From this thread sounds like I should look at Serenelliis .
thanks all ...
That would be Serenellini pbsalt, serenelli is a different thing altogether. The Serenellinis I checked out when Triskel still had his shop in Dublin were a very different feel to the Saltarelle that they are reputed to have made and that I have owned for years.  I'd still be inclined to check out Saltarelle though, there's often a lot of disdain spoken about them but when you start to check it out it often comes with little back up. I have three eras of Saltarelle and have had one other 2 row and the one row as well, they have all been and are great boxes. All the Best mory
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal