Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seattle area - vintage 3 row  (Read 590 times)

catty

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
Seattle area - vintage 3 row
« on: February 14, 2018, 03:41:22 AM »

Here's a smart looking box.  I'm not in the area so I can't go see it.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/msg/d/accordion-venezia-vintage/6495664256.html

[[ADMIN]]
edited to add a photo from the Craigslist advert
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 02:03:29 PM by Theo »

triskel

• Learning all the time...
Re: Seattle area - vintage 3 row
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 03:46:57 AM »

It was made by Koch, in Trossingen.

catty

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 04:06:00 AM »

I never tried one of those.

My first box was like this only old brown hohner / sounded quite lovely.

triskel

• Learning all the time...
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 01:41:38 PM »

Koch were Hohner's only competition in Trossingen, and the more go-ahead firm. Hohner took them over on 1st January 1929, though they continued to build Koch models for a while after that.

Koch reeds are usually stamped with the head of a chamois (mountain goat-antelope).

Rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 02:12:33 PM »

Faint writing on the bottom of the keyboard shows FBEs which is F-Bb-Eb.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

pgroff

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »

I have this exact model, also in FBEs (FBbEb).  Not bad with a few caveats: sharp left rear corner which can make such a wide box uncomfortable to play, small buttons which are not everyone's taste, bass buttons in a diatonic layout but with the columns staggered as if a stradella system, and a fully enclosed wooden keyboard housing that interferes with adjustments and repairs.

It's interesting to compare this model with the Recording King models made by Hohner for Montgomery Wards. Grille is similar, but different, and there are many other differences despite an overall cosmetic similarity.

PG

KLR

• Kevin Rietmann
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 11:58:43 PM »

I have this in GCF, it's the sweetest sounding thing; I like it even more than my pre-Corona.

boxcall

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 12:52:23 AM »

I have this exact model, also in FBEs (FBbEb).  Not bad with a few caveats: sharp left rear corner which can make such a wide box uncomfortable to play, small buttons which are not everyone's taste, bass buttons in a diatonic layout but with the columns staggered as if a stradella system, and a fully enclosed wooden keyboard housing that interferes with adjustments and repairs.

It's interesting to compare this model with the Recording King models made by Hohner for Montgomery Wards. Grille is similar, but different, and there are many other differences despite an overall cosmetic similarity.

PG

Agreed, that sharp corner is uncomfortable. It does have a lot of similarities to the R King model.
This box would have a wood treble mechanism I guess?  Treble layout is different with 11, 10, 10 where the recording king and most other 31 button three rows ( I've seen) have 10, 11, 10 .
I don't have another box with 2 rows of bass buttons but the staggered buttons are taking some getting use to.

Edit: Paul does your recording king have the same air button? it is similar to the one I made for mine.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:23:25 AM by boxcall »
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

hickory-wind

• Respected Sage
  • Live in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellinger's Button Boxes
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 02:35:50 AM »

18 bass in FBbEb in much rougher shape. Same wonderful grill.

Scott

BellingersButtonBoxes.com
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

boxcall

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 03:21:10 AM »

They must have stamped out a lot of those grills (:)
Yours has the more standard treble layout for the buttons and a extra row of bass buttons.
It just needs a little love.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 08:34:08 AM »

Is there somebody from this area who can buy the Venezia and send to Lithuania?
Sadly it's really too far for me  :'(
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

pgroff

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »

PG

Agreed, that sharp corner is uncomfortable. It does have a lot of similarities to the R King model.
This box would have a wood treble mechanism I guess?  Treble layout is different with 11, 10, 10 where the recording king and most other 31 button three rows ( I've seen) have 10, 11, 10 .
I don't have another box with 2 rows of bass buttons but the staggered buttons are taking some getting use to.

Edit: Paul does your recording king have the same air button? it is similar to the one I made for mine.

Hi boxcall,

My Venezia 3 row FBbEb (from memory, it's in my parents' basement I think) is the identical model to the one for sale in Seattle - same air button. Reminds me of the "lipstick tube" pickups on Danelectro guitars (but made differently - the dano pickups really were housed in metal lipstick tubes!). A very comfortable feel under the thumb. You see these in some pre-war Hohners too, I think there was one on a rare 4-voice 1930s BC Hohner and on some fancy clubs and Hohner Organola BC / stradella boxes. I remember having to solder the metal thumb-touch back on to the metal rod of the air-key on my Venezia when I first got it.

My Recording King looks to be the same model as yours, but in ADG. Long bar for the air key. Again, often found on Hohner pre-war boxes with 3 rows and 12 - 16 basses. I actually like those air valves also - very handy, you just have to learn to manage them.

PG

catty

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 04:20:26 PM »

Yes, I liked that long air button.  Features like that - and the sweet sound - are why I'm attracted to these old boxes.

Penny Player

• New Starter
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 04:11:37 PM »

This box is now in the hands of a friend that lives in the Seattle area. She picked it up for us last night. I showed my husband the advert and he arranged for our friend to make the purchase. The seller played a few tunes on it for her. She said it sounded lovely. It is obviously in nice condition. This is my first post on melodeon.net. When I have a bit more time, I will introduce myself and my young son in the “Teaching and Learning” forum (because the learning section is where we mostly belong). And, at some point in the future, I’ll give you an update on this box as well.

Regards,

Adriane
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 05:17:12 PM by Penny Player »

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 08:11:29 PM »

If you don't like it, sell it to me, please  :||:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:13:14 PM by Andrius »
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

hickory-wind

• Respected Sage
  • Live in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellinger's Button Boxes
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 08:19:52 PM »

This box is now in the hands of a friend that lives in the Seattle area. She picked it up for us last night. I showed my husband the advert and he arranged for our friend to make the purchase. The seller played a few tunes on it for her. She said it sounded lovely. It is obviously in nice condition. This is my first post on melodeon.net. When I have a bit more time, I will introduce myself and my young son in the “Teaching and Learning” forum (because the learning section is where we mostly belong). And, at some point in the future, I’ll give you an update on this box as well.

Regards,

Adriane

Welcome!

Since your first two boxes came from me you can legitimately claim I infected you with MAD. I'll let you poke around to find out what that stands for...

The proof being there's now a third box on the way.

Scott

BellingersButtonBoxes.com
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

catty

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 08:51:44 PM »

This box is now in the hands of a friend that lives in the Seattle area. She picked it up for us last night...

Congrats!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.