Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An Ear Worm - solved!  (Read 1487 times)

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
An Ear Worm - solved!
« on: June 10, 2018, 10:35:46 PM »

Hello, I have a run of notes stuck in my head! I was talking with someone I don't get to see super often and it feels weird to contact him (Sam Horlock who works at Hobgoblin Southampton) at Wimborne Folk Festival, and he showed me a couple of bits of tunes he was working on learning, as one sounded a bit like a tune I'd played. But, the latter, dissimilar tune he played a bit of, I thought I recognised it but couldn't place where, and, neither of us could remember the name.

Needless to say, it's now now stuck in my head! I have ABCed out as best I can the rough out as maybe a bar or two? I know he lamented that his 2 row lacked something the tune really wanted, a high D#, so, maybe that fits in somehow?

Code: [Select]
X:1
T:Gena's Ear Worm
C:I would love to know
M:6/8
L:1/8
K:Em
Ee E^d E=d |E^c E=c z2|

Basically: dropping chromatically from a higher e, bouncing off low E each time. I imagine the phrasing/bar position is all wrong, and maybe it hits the E twice either side? Maybe it's not a jig? I dunno. Sadly, though, I've listened to a lot of melodeon tune videos, as well as a lot of classical violin stuff. This could easily be a recent really obvious tune, but I wasn't able to find it through the routes I could think of and I've been a bit pressed for time this weekend. Anyway, I dunno if anyone instantly recognises this, but if they do then it would be cool because then I'll be able to sleep tonight! If not, you have my apologies, and I'll try to ask Sam next time I see him as he'll probably remember the actual tune in question based on the 'lack of high D# comment'.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:36:30 AM by Gena Crisman »

george garside

Re: An Ear Worm
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 10:38:46 PM »

I don't do abc . perhaps a youtube vid of the bits you refer to would enable some light to be thrown on thematter

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 12:30:56 AM »

Danbury Hill, perhaps? (second tune in the set, second half of the tune)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 10:35:50 AM »

Danbury Hill, perhaps? (second tune in the set, second half of the tune)

Yep, that's the one exactly, or at least, the one I was thinking of (and doubtless where I heard it). I'd thought I had the following two bars as well, but I wasn't certain send didn't want to distract from the rather more characterful ones. Anyway, what a fun tune!

Thank you both for your interest and responses!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: An Ear Worm - solved!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 10:55:33 AM »

You'll find the book with the tune in it (in original key of A minor) here: http://hedinghamfair.co.uk/hedingham_fair_book3.htm
I got it from Greg Trice himself decades ago when he and I were both in Chelmsford Morris.
There's a few other gems there, some of which are playable on melodeon (he played PA!)

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
Re: An Ear Worm - solved!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 12:52:57 PM »

..I got it from Greg Trice himself decades ago when he and I were both in Chelmsford Morris...

Thank you - I was going to ask about the composer as there are a couple of ABC renderings
out there where the composer is listed as 'trad'...
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal