Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: One row tunes  (Read 11776 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: One row tunes
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2020, 02:08:24 PM »

Are there any  recordings of Oscar Woods (easily) available, at a reasonable cost?
I have read a lot about his playing, but never heard it.

John and Katie Howsons; Veteran Music is a goldmine...Pigeon on a Gate features 18 examples of Oscar's playing and sundry other goodies in similar vein. www.veteran.co.uk/VTDC11CD.htm £13 25 double CD
Probably make an excellent accompaniment t0 Before the Night WAs Out... :|glug
(I should say no connection to the seller,but that would be a blatant lie....)
The archive recordings on that particular CD formed the source material for many of the tunes in 'Before the Night Was Out'. I spent many happy hours transcribing the tunes for the book.  :Ph
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

kenakordeon

• Regular debater
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2020, 02:08:44 PM »

Cajun and Quebecois.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2020, 02:10:05 PM »

...but I am looking forward to much rumpy-bumby, up-and-down-the-rowsy, not-having-to-care-about-which-chordsy playing.  ...
I know. Isn't it lovely!  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2020, 02:13:08 PM »

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2020, 02:20:39 PM »

...but I am looking forward to much rumpy-bumby, up-and-down-the-rowsy, not-having-to-care-about-which-chordsy playing.  ...
I know. Isn't it lovely!  (:)

Steve - I will tell you if Colin ever puts the thing down.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2020, 02:56:25 PM »

Could you play Cajun tunes on a 1 row?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncOQACVViyk

I thought all cajun was played on one rows.

Not played on 1040 one rows though, it wouldn’t be tuned right or sound right.
You wouldn’t play it on a four stop that is not Cajun tuned either for the same reasons.

I love my 1040! ( my first box and junker ;) ).
Enjoy it!
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2020, 04:34:28 PM »

Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2020, 06:56:21 PM »

Hey, well done!

Can I leap in to ask for advice about the thumb strap -- I HATE the thumb strap. I find it very uncomfortable. So I attached a shoulder strap to my one-rows -- but I would still like to come to peace with the thumb strap.

Thanks
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2020, 07:38:03 PM »

This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt4DjASIHbM  uses all buttons if I remember well.  If nothing else, it will help you find if your thumb strap is well adjusted (so that all buttons can be reached comfortably).  But I find it's fun to play too.
I won't be using a thumb strap as I like thumb freedom, but thanks for the tune.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2020, 07:47:20 PM »

Hey, well done!

Can I leap in to ask for advice about the thumb strap -- I HATE the thumb strap. I find it very uncomfortable. So I attached a shoulder strap to my one-rows -- but I would still like to come to peace with the thumb strap.

Thanks

I've come to peace with all the ones I've ever had; somewhere (with any luck I won't remember where!) I have a boxful of the wretched things.........      :D

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

playandteach

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2020, 08:16:53 PM »

This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt4DjASIHbM  uses all buttons if I remember well.  If nothing else, it will help you find if your thumb strap is well adjusted (so that all buttons can be reached comfortably).  But I find it's fun to play too.
Maybe in a year or two.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2020, 08:35:44 PM »

Are there any  recordings of Oscar Woods (easily) available, at a reasonable cost?

John and Katie Howsons; Veteran Music is a goldmine...Pigeon on a Gate features 18 examples of Oscar's playing and sundry other goodies in similar vein. www.veteran.co.uk/VTDC11CD.htm £13 25 double CD...

Thanks Baz

[Pigeon On A Gate downloaded. Just what I was after.]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 11:43:33 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2020, 11:04:57 PM »

John and Katie Howsons; Veteran Music is a goldmine...Pigeon on a Gate features 18 examples of Oscar's playing and sundry other goodies in similar vein. www.veteran.co.uk/VTDC11CD.htm £13 25 double CD...

Highly recommended as is book Before The Night Was Out, also available from Veteran.

Thanks Baz
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2020, 04:00:41 AM »

I found the four-stop one-row quite excitingly liberating in that I didn't have to spare any mental energy towards "which chord should I play here?" or "which row should I play this part on?" All that extra brainpower ;) could be devoted towards playing with dynamics and flair. But with the 1040 you have a 4th chord, don't you, so I suppose you won't be able to benefit quite as much. At least you won't be tempted by substituting relative minors anymore.

As to the thumbstrap, I keep trying it both ways. I don't mind it on the one-row like I would on a two-row, and for some tunes it seems to work well, and even helps give a certain type of sound in the playing. But I haven't settled into using it consistently (or not).
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

playandteach

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2020, 12:41:18 PM »

Thanks to all of you helping out, from new springs to the instrument in the first place, and of course to the tunes. I've decided just for now to pretend it's in D and play D tunes. I'm practising some exercises Stiamh suggested and building my own from that starting point. Still very early days. The box I'm using only has notes from the scale, so I'm wondering how Lester and of course all of the rest of you play tunes in G on a D box. Do most of them have a C natural as an accidental chin button?

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2020, 12:57:03 PM »

The box I'm using only has notes from the scale, so I'm wondering how Lester and of course all of the rest of you play tunes in G on a D box. Do most of them have a C natural as an accidental chin button?
No - normally there are no accidental notes at the chin end. Here's the basic layout for a one-row four-stop box.
http://www.forum.melodeon.net/files/site/keyboards/1%20Row%204%20Stop%20-%20C.jpg

Do you mean playing in G on a C box? That's the cajun way of playing, with the F natural flattened seventh, which gives cajun music its flavour.
The equivalent on a D box would be playing in A.

Here's the equivalent layout of a D box:
http://www.forum.melodeon.net/files/site/keyboards/1%20Row%204%20Stop%20-%20D.jpg
There is sometimes an option to have the chin end pull note tuned to B instead of A. One of my D instruments is like this, but I have another tuned conventionally (like the layout diagram) so there is duplication of pull A and push A, which I actually prefer. It makes drone playing possible!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

playandteach

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2020, 01:07:58 PM »

Thanks, Steve
Just spotted two things in Lester's G tunes (on a one row D box), firstly is that he avoids the Cs - replacing them with alternate options, secondly is that some of his tunes (e.g. Tune 381 - Branle du Rat) have abc notation in G, but he's playing them transposed to D. Solves that problem.
I don't think I'm going to get used to using whatever chords come to hand, so just sticking to right hand only for this little foray, which of course opens the can of worms that if I'm not going to use the basses, perhaps I should find a semitone box...aargh what's happening?

playandteach

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2020, 01:17:01 PM »

Another fingering question:
The A section of Mockingbird Hill - can I have some suggestions? Here's the problem... I'm taking my two row approach using my little finger to the one row - which I don't want to do, but it seems so appropriate for the arpeggio sections of the tune. If I'm not careful I'll end up making the one row sound too smooth, in which case the only point to learning it is for bellows control - so can I have some fingering options.
Second problem is the triplet upbeat. It sounds like a clown car. Is that because I'm not lifting my finger between the C# and the D?

EDIT In fact I'm finding this problem on every tune I'm reading through. I can play them, but I don't know if I'm building the right habits.
Is there anyone willing to pick some tunes (any style at all) in D and finger them for me? I'm really after people who consider themselves one row players - or at least dyed in the wool on the row players. I don't at all mind if you are from a 2 or 3 finger standpoint - I can probably work out my own 4 finger versions - but that might be too close to the way I already play, and I'm looking to learn.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:45:51 PM by playandteach »

mselic

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2020, 02:49:00 PM »

If you find that a particular section of a tune works best for you using four fingers instead of three, then just do that. My earlier suggestion of favouring three fingers over four is certainly not a hard and fast rule. There isn’t really a right or wrong way or a ‘correct’ fingering for any particular tune. Different players will play the same tune on the same box with different fingerings. It takes a bit of experimenting and even mapping out when deciding how to best approach a tune. I mess around until I find something that feels comfortable and ‘sure-fingered’.

I have to admit that I don’t really read music, however for a series of rising notes as shown in your sheet music, I will often shift my entire hand up to finish the sequence (ie I start with fingers one and two and then jump my first finger to the next note and carry on from there, or do the first three and then back to one, or sometimes the first two notes with the first finger, sliding them up and so on...)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 03:00:31 PM by mselic »
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2020, 12:02:05 PM »

Theo thinks the latest replies to this thread have somehow become corrupted and have had to be removed.
Following his advice, I will try to recreate my posts using a 'clean copy' of my replies via a basic plain text editor. Please bear with me while I do this...

Hopefully I've recreated my replies and the corruption problem (whatever it was) has been solved...
Thanks for your help, Theo.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:32:42 PM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal