Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Audacity  (Read 6794 times)

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
Audacity
« on: March 09, 2010, 02:32:36 PM »

Can anyone tell me how to put a tad of reverb on a track in audacity? I can get to the effect but there are several factors you can change. Whatever I change makes it sounds like I'm in a big toilet  ::)  Just experimenting with the sound really.

cheers Sandy
 (:)

jb

• Respected Sage
Re: Audacity
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 02:46:11 PM »

Hi Sandy
I guess you have the default Gverb plugin effect, in which case you might find some of this helpful:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/GVerb#Instant_reverb_settings
More generally if you google something like audacity reverb you will find lots of stuff e.g. on other discussion forums.
there ain't no such thing as a free reed

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 03:04:35 PM »

Hi Sandy
I guess you have the default Gverb plugin effect, in which case you might find some of this helpful:
More generally if you google something like audacity reverb you will find lots of stuff e.g. on other discussion forums.

Thank you jb. Problem solved. Got a 'one take' of Plane Tree to play with and think it's even managed to mask some my son's x box noise in the background  ::)

Cheers
Sandy
 (:)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 03:21:34 PM »

Ooh - thanks for that link. I've only started using Gverb recently, and so far it's sounded horrid and metallic like a cheap reverb box. I'll give those a go and see if it's any better.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 03:25:25 PM by Anahata »
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 10:58:45 AM »

I am glad i found this reverb-thingy here, it indeed sounds a lot better :-)

Is there something like that for the rest of the effects as well in audactity?
In other words, what effects do you use after recording in audacity and what numbers do you use?
bassboost? compressor? echo? delay? (what TH is Nyquist?)

Do you guys use any of that stuff for your melodeons to sound nicer on recording?
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »

"Nicer"  ???
  _       _    _      _ 

deltasalmon

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 12:42:52 PM »

Autotune
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 12:43:53 PM »

All my videos etc are "Straight from Camera" none of your messing around. Mind you they could do with sounding nicer  ;)

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 12:16:15 PM »

"Nicer"  ???
ain't that the correct word?
Autotune

What is that, or wht do you mean?
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 12:34:42 PM »

"Nicer"  ???
ain't that the correct word?

Perfectly good word and in context. Think Chris was just being Chris  ;)

Autotune

What is that, or wht do you mean?
W

Autotune is a system used by 'pop stars' to alter the pitch of their singing if they go off key or are just rubbish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 01:06:47 PM »

Autotune is a system used by 'pop stars' to alter the pitch of their singing if they go off key or are just rubbish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Tune
a.k.a. the Cher effect (see link)
The free version available as an Audacity plugin is called Autotalent and is crap, or at least I couldn't get it to do anything nice to the sound.
In contrast, Celemony's Melodyne is an expensive software package that does the same thing really well. I don't have it, but I've seen and heard it used in a studio.

None of which is needed for melodeons, unless to transpose something into an entirely different key, which they can also do.

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 04:31:30 PM »

Audacity has some wonderful features, although it takes a bit of trial and error to work them. One of my favorites is the ability to change pitch without changing the speed of the recording. If you wish to play along with a tune which happens to be in, say, F#, and all you have is a G box, you can easily "transpose" the recording so that you can play along for practice.
   One can also change the tempo, by a certain percentage, useful for slowing down to learn ornaments or difficult passages.  The noise reduction feature is also useful when mastering. However, as yet there is no feature to remove Hohner 'clack'  :(

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 05:50:52 PM »

I could do with a plug in to take the bum notes out of recordings but I don't see one for that  ;D

Has anyone found a foolproof way to get Audacity to record stream music in Windoze7 which does not have the stereo driver thingy? I've read that I can use previous windoze drivers but don't know where or how to find them, or what they're called. Even if I found one, how would I go about replacing the existing driver?? If anyone can explain this in simple English, I'm sure many people would find it useful. I've read reams of 'help' files from various places, none of which are much 'help' to someone who doesn't understand in the first place.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »

I could do with a plug in to take the bum notes out of recordings but I don't see one for that  ;D

Has anyone found a foolproof way to get Audacity to record stream music in Windoze7 which does not have the stereo driver thingy? I've read that I can use previous windoze drivers but don't know where or how to find them, or what they're called. Even if I found one, how would I go about replacing the existing driver?? If anyone can explain this in simple English, I'm sure many people would find it useful. I've read reams of 'help' files from various places, none of which are much 'help' to someone who doesn't understand in the first place.

Here are the v simple instructions, with pictures for the techo-fearful

Andrew Shead

• Good talker
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »

(what TH is Nyquist?)

Do you guys use any of that stuff for your melodeons to sound nicer on recording?
W

See this link for more about Nyquist Prompt...: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/Nyquist_Prompt.

The only effect that I use after every recording is Normalize, which adjusts the amplitude of the signal to take full advantage of the available range between the upper and lower limits +/- 1; it is the audio equivalent of applying colour leveling to a picture in Photoshop or GIMP. The only other things I might do to an audio recording is trim the ends to shorten the silence, use the noise removal filter,  join clips together, or transform audio from one data format to another.

By the way, your English is good.
Primo D/G Scholar.

Tunes executed: any instrument convenient as a gallows.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 01:17:49 PM »

Lester's spot on - "nicer?" was about whether special effects add anything - Wouter's English is as ever pretty good!

I'd like to thank this thread which has inspired me to install audacity - it really is excellent - uitstekend even! Lame/MP3 also seems to work. Unlike my poor Olympus which someone spilt beer onto at Bromyard :'(
  _       _    _      _ 

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 04:12:15 PM »

Just pick the bloody box up and play it. If it's any good it wil sound good.
What's next? Photoshop to make me look better when I'm playing?
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 04:50:13 PM »

Might have missed the point here!
It's age thing
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 04:59:38 PM »

The most useful way to improve a performance with electronic trickery is to edit out wrong notes - with folk tunes it's easy because everything is repeated - just find a place where you played it right, copy and paste over the place where you played it wrong. Some judicious messing with the timing of the edit points so you can't hear the joins, and you can turn a good performance marred by the odd bum note into a good performance that's mistake-free.

Unfortunately Audacity's not very good at that kind of editing. I use Ardour for all my recording - much more powerful. Apart from better editing, Ardour also handles the whole multi track recording process effortlessly and is based on non-destructive editing (you can undo anything and save snapshots) - it has full mixdown automation and it's free! There are also some professional quality plugins available for Linux that you can't get even for Windows - see linuxdsp.org - not free but well worth the low cost.

Overkill for a Simple YouTube recording, of course, but because it's there (for bigger projects) I might as well  use it.

And Photoshop? Well, why not? Some sort of video editing equivalent, anyway.

penn

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 06:06:27 PM »

The most useful way to improve a performance with electronic trickery is to edit out wrong notes....
Where do people think you should you draw the line?
Editing together of good takes has been standard on records for years. These days single notes can be edited in position and pitch to improve the 'performance'. A classical CD may have 600 or more edits. Records of the last 30-40 years have been tweaked to remove all errors of timing and tuning, and naturally, ones own home recording will be compared to that sort of perfection.
Personally I wouldn't feel right about editing TOTM recordings to improve the playing – for me this is supposed to be a learning process, warts and all, on the other hand I would like to present the most professional sound quality possible.
But is there so very much difference in publishing the single best (and complete) recording out of 20 or so takes, as opposed to compiling the best 20 bits of those recordings into a single video?

Reverb....personally I have a bit of a thing about reverb. I think “space” is a very important feature in the sound of an acoustic instrument, and to me, if there's too much reverb and I can plainly see it's in a garden shed, not St Paul's Cathedral how it actually sounds, then it feels unnatural and takes the focus off the music. But it can sound great if it's used with care.
Steve
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal