Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: New Roland MIDI Melodeon  (Read 56001 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Re: New Roland MIDI Melodeon
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 09:08:21 AM »

Probably won't have to wait as long for one these as one would for a Streb.   ;)

I'm wondering if Steve Rowse has something to do with this, actually. Does anyone know why he stopped making Strebs? And many of the features of this are the Streb features.

Perhaps Steve'll pop along and tell us definitively, but I doubt it too. Steve has (or applied for) the patent on internal speakers on emelodeons, and if he'd been involved I think we would have seen some internal speaker capability on this thing. The Roland looks a seriously impressive bit of kit, but the lack of internal speakers rather kills its use for sessions (I do use the Streb for this quite a bit, since it's key shifting ability is invaluable).

As far as I know, Steve is still making/delivering Strebs, and working his way through the backlog (source = Mudcat a month or so back, where a poster says he had one delivered in December). I don't know what his plans are once he clears the backlog - whether he intends to stop, keep going, or work on a new model first.

Cheers,

Clive

Keithypete.

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 09:11:47 AM »

I'm sure you won't have any trouble selling your Streb.

I think I would prefer the Streb on the grounds that it is smaller. It would almost certainly do everything I would want it to.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 09:24:28 AM »

I have to say that Roland's claim "world's first digital diatonic accordion" is a downright lie  - by at least a decade!  Whilst the Streb is well known, there have been others that have come and gone.

Has anyone actually tried one of these?  Does it have pressure sensitivity for bellows dynamics?  What is the best comparison of action against a reed based manufacturer - Castagnari, Saltarelle, Hohner, Chinese?

Interesting, but it's a long way to Leeds to try one since they closed the Oxford shop (only an hour or so away).

Rob.

Jon Loomes

• Performer, Recording Engineer, Luthier.
  • Regular debater
  • Non plaudite. Pecuniam jacite.
    • www.jonloomes.com
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 11:29:09 AM »

"I have to say that Roland's claim "world's first digital diatonic accordion" is a downright lie  - by at least a decade!  Whilst the Streb is well known, there have been others that have come and gone."

This is true.  There's the Meloodeon which I personally think is fantastic, but it's not a production model.  There's Streb, except I understand you'll have a lot of difficulty getting one.  I think Roland's rather bold claim is aimed at the world wide market, and doesn't really account for the odd one-man-in-a-shed makers.

"Has anyone actually tried one of these?"

Yes.

"Does it have pressure sensitivity for bellows dynamics?"

Yes.

"What is the best comparison of action against a reed based manufacturer - Castagnari, Saltarelle, Hohner, Chinese?"

A good question.  It's kind of hard to compare because the whole thing is so fundamentally different in construction to a traditional box.  It's a bit like asking how does the action of a DX7 compare with a Boesendorfer, Grotian Steinweg, et al.  In short, it's slightly different, and you will find yourself adapting your playing style slightly in the same way that a pianist has to adapt when playing a synth.  It's a lot nicer than the Streb action and a lot easier to control, in my opinion.

"Interesting, but it's a long way to Leeds to try one since they closed the Oxford shop (only an hour or so away)."

We will be taking these things to the festivals this year, so hopefully everyone should get an opportunity to try them.

Cheers,
J

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 12:11:28 PM »

We will be taking these things to the festivals this year, so hopefully everyone should get an opportunity to try them.

I have painful memories of the first year that the Roland midi piano accordion appeared in the trade fair at Whitby.   I had a stall in the same hall, and my main memory of the week is of everybody and his dog playing the thing and filling the hall with all the daft electronic sounds. 

The year before it was Bridge electric fiddles!

Please can you supply headphones to customers trying it?    Less background noise will be better for them too. (:)
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

nemethmik

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 12:17:31 PM »

playing the thing and filling the hall with all the daft electronic sounds.  
Please can you supply headphones to customers trying it?    Less background noise will be better for them too.
Last year I visited an instrument fair in Regen Germany, and I really was annoyed by the loud noise made by the guys selling Steirische MIDI accordions. Noone can convince me that the sound coming from these electronic gizmos can be regarded as music.

Pushpull

• Regular debater
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 12:26:26 PM »

If I read the blurb right there seems to be no reason why you can't configure the right hand to B/C/C# and a limited stradella (reconfigure according to key) on the left.
Steve

The brochure says:

"In addition, you can create your own tablatures with a PC/Mac software app (available via free download). With this software, the FR-18 diatonic is truly an open instrument with customizable layouts for the keyboard and bass buttons. Thanks to USB compatibility, it’s easy to transmit and receive custom tablature sets between computer and accordion."

The video shows a bit of the configuration program interface.

So using that software (nice to see serious manufacturers embrace mac) perhaps it could be programmed as a CBA too? Hmm  >:E

Oh from The Music Room's website - one man ceilidh band?
http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/4780?mrSid=c941d25be13c4f9fc9867903f77e47f1

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 12:38:49 PM »

- one man (electronic) ceilidh band?

Noooooooooooooo!

Unless its one of these
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 12:53:18 PM »

Unless its one of these...

Or one of these?    (:)

"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 01:02:57 PM »

Even better! ;D
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2011, 01:26:30 PM »

... which leads me to think a B/C/C# based stradella bass subvariant would be feasible... :|glug

Ed J

If I read the blurb right there seems to be no reason why you can't configure the right hand to B/C/C# and a limited stradella (reconfigure according to key) on the left.

Steve

Except that there is no button rake on the LH, which would make things trickier.

Oh, and brilliant GbH ;D
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Gandy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2011, 02:20:52 PM »

I wonder why it has to be so big
Tony S

rmenhinick

• Regular debater
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 03:50:17 PM »

I wonder why it has to be so big

Probably because they've got loads of spare V-Accordion shells to use up  :D

It's not a melodeon ... its MELODENSTEIN!  ;D

BTW: 20% off during January at The Music Room Online makes it £1,349 .... mmmm
Old G Poker, New DG Poker, ADG Compadre, DG Sandpiper, CF Erica, GC Delicia Popular, DG Dino Baffetti Black Pearl 3, Casali Verona 48 bass PA, (Squeezebox Squirrel :D)

summerstars

• Respected Sage
    • UK Surnames Genealogy Contact Site
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 04:17:53 PM »

Nope - unfortunately not - read the very small print under the discount offer on the shops home page and you will see that the Roland FR-18 is specifically excluded from this offer!
Dino Binci D/G, Sandpiper 3v D/G, Sandpiper C/F, Hohner Bb/Eb, Pariselle 1 Row in D, Streb

rmenhinick

• Regular debater
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 05:33:25 PM »

Nope - unfortunately not - read the very small print under the discount offer on the shops home page and you will see that the Roland FR-18 is specifically excluded from this offer!

Damn! Another dream shattered ... >:(
Old G Poker, New DG Poker, ADG Compadre, DG Sandpiper, CF Erica, GC Delicia Popular, DG Dino Baffetti Black Pearl 3, Casali Verona 48 bass PA, (Squeezebox Squirrel :D)

streb

• Good talker
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2011, 09:52:46 PM »

Thought I would post here and head off a couple of rumours.

I decided recently to stop taking any more orders for eMelodeons for a number of reasons: 1) I felt that demand had tailed right off and therefore anyone who wanted an electronic melodeon had already got one or was already on my waiting list for one. 2) I am a full-time schoolteacher and I got to a point where I and my long-suffering wife/melodeon widow were feeling swamped. I also feel rather guilty that people have had to wait so long. 3) I have become disheartened by having to weave my way around an ever increasing number of EU regulations (read impediments) regarding the making and selling of such items. I am convinced that eurocrats are lobbied or bullied by big business to make life difficult for cottage industries such as me. Maybe I am just cynical. I intend to complete my list of orders, now down to seven. In the light of the Roland offering (see below), if anyone still waiting wishes to cancel then by all means let me know. On the other hand, anyone hammering on my door demanding an eMelodeon will receive a sympathetic ear...

As to why I never licensed the technology or outsourced production to China, I have no head for big business, legal battles with Roland, trips to China to bang heads over quality control issues, going limited liability, employment law issues, sleepless nights, banks refusing cashflow credit etc, etc. I think you get the idea. I just wanted to make something useful and attractive in my spare time that people could enjoy and would furnish me with a modest return if not a fortune.

The Roland: good luck to them. I am surprised it took them so long. I think they have a cheek claiming it is the "world's first" but I have neither the will nor the wherewithal to argue (see above). I looked at the youtube video on the Music Room website and I was surprised at the size of the thing! It looks like a steroid pumped Trichord to me and it still doesn't seem to have internal speakers for all that bulk. The reed growl synthesis thing and USB programmabilitysound quite clever and probably beyond my wit so I will concede defeat on the technology. Still, big and plasticky while mine are small and wooden. And made in England by me.  ;)

Thanks to everyone who showed faith and bought one of my instruments. I will continue to keep supporting you with help and fixes (not that there has been much need).

I intend to concentrate on acoustic instruments. I make rebecs as a second sideline so some fiddles may be forthcoming if I find the time. I also keep getting regularly pestered to make an eAnglo..........

Regards,

Steve

ps. see you at Straw Bear tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:03:01 PM by streb »

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 01:04:09 AM »

Nice one Steve, thanks for your post.

Having just started gigging with a band which currently requires the following melodeons F/Bb, G/C, A/D, Bb/Eb, C/F and D/G plus various one row, four stops, I am very tempted by the new Roland.
There are two things that immediately put me off buying one, even though it would make touring life much easier.
IT'S TOO BIG and THERE ARE TOO MANY BUTTONS!
I very much doubt if they heard me  :'(

Good luck with all your endeavours and thanks for your work so far.  :|glug

Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

george garside

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2011, 10:48:49 AM »

perhaps somday somebody will make an electronic 4 voice 1 row programmed to play in any desired key & with a bit of ersatz accompanyment of one sort or another available for when the drummer , bass player or whatever doesn't turn up or when you want to save paying another wage!.  ? the ultimate compact one man band - but then would such a contraption really sound like a proper 4 stop  box with decent reeds.

As to the Roland   - it would  weigh no more if fitted with 60 little switches to provide 60  arteficial stradella bass within which those prefering push/pull bass could  adjust to  use their prefereed 8 to 18 buttons as 'melodeon' bass. 

Does anyone know if the Roland is self sufficient or does it need external speakerss & power to play - the one on the utube clip definately has a witre of some sort going to somethig (or coming from something)

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2011, 10:58:26 AM »

Does anyone know if the Roland is self sufficient or does it need external speakerss & power to play - the one on the utube clip definately has a witre of some sort going to somethig (or coming from something)

Going by the specs, it has it's own internal power source, but no internal speakers.  Optionally, it can be upgraded to being fully wireless.

Maybe they've missed a trick by not releasing an additional model, with speakers included.  This is what they've done for some of their other PA/CBA models.  Having the internal speakers isn't necessarily a good thing, though, as I mentioned recently on another thread.
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

george garside

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2011, 11:12:34 AM »

I was thinking in terms of suitability for session playhing  where wires & plugging in etc  are generally not on - particularly if the session is in an electicless  tent or a number of session at a festival  where recharging batteries is impossible for many.  I would therefore see built in speakers and  say a 6 hour battery capacity (3 x 2 hour sessions?) as   minimum requirements.  If the batteries are easy & quick to change - and reasonably priced I suppose you could carry a couple of spare sets but thats more weight to lug around.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal