Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing old bellows tape  (Read 11070 times)

WendyG

• Good talker
  • Castagnari Clovis DG
Removing old bellows tape
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:42:29 PM »

Is there a trick to this, or is it just the most awful job you can think of? :'(.  I have managed to remove the worn tape from some of the folds (trying not to damage the bellows papers, easier said than done), and thinking that I should do the job properly am now trying to remove the slightly scuffed tape, nigh on impossible.  How do other people go about this, what tools do you use, can you avoid damaging the papers?  I am slowly losing the will to live, it is taking me ages just to do an inch or so.  I tried slightly dampening the paper after scraping off the top layer, but all it does is to make a black sticky mess, so I am not trying that again.  Any tips will be very much welcome.

Wendy

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Removing old bellows tape
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 01:19:30 PM »

Is there a trick to this, or is it just the most awful job you can think of? :'(
You are indeed correct it is the most awful job you can think of  ;D

I have managed to remove the worn tape from some of the folds (trying not to damage the bellows papers, easier said than done), and thinking that I should do the job properly am now trying to remove the slightly scuffed tape, nigh on impossible.  How do other people go about this, what tools do you use, can you avoid damaging the papers?  I am slowly losing the will to live, it is taking me ages just to do an inch or so.  I tried slightly dampening the paper after scraping off the top layer, but all it does is to make a black sticky mess, so I am not trying that again.  Any tips will be very much welcome.

Wendy

What I use is a scalpel, firstly I strip off as much of the top layer of the tape by easing the scalpel under it and lifting it off, sometimes it comes off in long strips  (:) sometimes in tiny little bits  :(, continue until all of the top layer is removed. Then I gently wet what remains on the bellows, one fold at a time, and, using the back of the scalpel blade, scrape off the tape backing and any glue.

But it is the most hateful and least satisfying job in the the whole of melodeon maintenance  (:)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 01:54:52 PM »

I tried slightly dampening the paper after scraping off the top layer, but all it does is to make a black sticky mess, so I am not trying that again. 

I have now fully read your post. Is the tape that is on there original bellows tape or some nasty replacement with electrical or gaffer tape, if it is the latter it is a real bugger to get off and to clean up afterwards.  :(

WendyG

• Good talker
  • Castagnari Clovis DG
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »

Lester it is the original bellows tape, but by wetting the the tape it dissolves the glue and then makes the bottom layer very tacky, and as the dye comes off the tape it stains the bellows.

Wendy

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 03:32:21 PM »

No getting awaw from it it can be a horrible sticky, messy, dirty job!  Some bellows are easier - if the tape has a woven fabric base it usually comes off easily.  If it is the paper tape used on Hohners then it is as you describe.  It can help to wet the whole of the tape, then close the bellows, wrap it in a plastic bag and leave for an hour.  Then test to see if the glue has moistened, if not apply more water and leave for another hour.  Before applying the water it is a good idea to abrade the surface of the tape with coarse sandpaper to speed absorption of the water.   If you get the balance of water and time the tape should come off in satusfyingly large strips.  Then it's just a matter of cleaning off the glue with a cloth dipped on hot water and wrung out.
Im not keen on using a scalpel, too much chance of slipping and cutting the bellows, or your fingers.  The soaking method is quicker too,  if you don't count the waiting time.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

WendyG

• Good talker
  • Castagnari Clovis DG
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 03:37:40 PM »

Theo do you wet several strips of tape at a time, or do you wet all of the tapes on one side of the bellows and then wait?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 04:49:58 PM »

I wet all the tape in one go.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

East Clare Box Player

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 05:04:42 PM »

I simply take a microfiber towel, soak it in water, wring it, microwave it and then drape it between the folds of the side of the bellows I want to work on.  Works like a champ.  The tape (in the most recent case, a 1960s Paolo Soprani Irish box) simply flies off the bellows.  Not too much for too long with the moist heat.  You can end up loosening things that you didn't want to.  About a minute or two for each application--and don't forget to make it hot.  That really does the trick.

I suppose with animal-based glues, it's just a matter of simulating the conditions inside the host animal to get the glue flowing again.  Cows are, if I recall correctly, hot and moist inside.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 05:48:10 PM by SFO Box Player »
Your mileage may differ.  Mine does.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 11:20:44 PM »

I've only done this job three times and the very first time I came across the the kind of horror that WendyG is now faced with. I favour the scalpel blade like Lester, slide it under the shiny top surface of the tape and try to tease the tape off in long strips leaving the paper backing behind which will quickly succumb to dampening and scraping away. Very often though the top layer disintegrates quickly and you are left with hours of stress inducing picking off of fragments.

Time to dig in your heels and get on with it and there's nothing for it but a long, mindless, thankless slog. Suddenly it's done and you almost miss it immediately because the sheer tedium of this odious task has numbed your ability to be bored and the glazed expression you have worn for so many long hours has cleansed you of all cares and you feel remarkably refreshed and delighted with your achievement.

If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this post or recognise any of symptoms described above I would urge you to seek psychiatric treatment forthwith.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 02:10:42 AM »

But it is the most hateful and least satisfying job in the the whole of melodeon maintenance  (:)

Removing silicone sealant, applied as a de facto bellows gasket, comes a close second....   >:E
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 08:32:32 PM »

Removing silicone sealant, applied as a de facto bellows gasket, comes a close second....   >:E

Nah, just buy one of those fancy do-hickeys that slices through silicone joints then tease it with a scalpel. BUT, if it's managed to squeeze up between the end box inner profile and the inside edge of the bellows frame you are, as they say, very much on your own!  >:E
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 10:33:19 PM »

BUT, if it's managed to squeeze up between the end box inner profile and the inside edge of the bellows frame you are, as they say, very much on your own!  >:E

That's about the size of it   >:( >:( >:(
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 08:20:32 AM »

I suppose with animal-based glues, it's just a matter of simulating the conditions inside the host animal to get the glue flowing again.  Cows are, if I recall correctly, hot and moist inside.

I won't ask how you know this fact.......   >:E

Btw, now I know why Lester winces at my liberal use of carpet layers tape on my pokerwork bellows. I suspect it would never come off !
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 09:02:18 AM »

NO! I'm not connected with this either. 8)
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »

Quick question, what glue would you recommend to put bellows edging ON so it can be easily removed when it needs replacing ? PVA?
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 11:39:43 AM »

There is a new product on the market. Reversible PVA. Available from craft shops Hewitts etc
It seems to work like PVA but can be removed by dampening . As the above posts say.
I can't give any links but a google search will bring results (:)
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »

Conservation Resources is a good place to start. Their product has a neutral Ph which means it won't perish anything. The Ph scale is too complicated to explain here, but a web search will reveal everything.

MikeK

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 11:58:04 AM »

I use Titebond liquid hide wood glue for applying bellows tape.

I found that if I place the glue container in hot water, it thins the glue to a good consistency, making it much easier to spread.
I always respect my elders but they are getting fewer in numbers.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 12:15:56 PM »

I use THIS - hi grab and quick drying.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 04:07:41 PM »

I just use ordinary white craft PVA. Mind you, I haven't yet had to remove any tape I've stuck on......
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 04:49:01 AM by GPS »
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal