Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Atherfield  (Read 2842 times)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
Atherfield
« on: May 12, 2012, 03:15:37 PM »

I really like this tune as recorded by Andy Cutting and I've found an ABC of it.  Can anyone tell me if it is an original Andy Cutting composition or traditional?

Many Thanks

Les
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
Re: Atherfield
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 08:50:18 PM »

It's an Andy Cutting original . Mike McGoldrick plays flute . It has a lovely tempo .
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 08:08:39 AM »

It's an Andy Cutting original . Mike McGoldrick plays flute . It has a lovely tempo .

Thanks for the info. Yes the tune has a beautiful feel to it. I'm working on a dumbed-down version of it for my novice fingers.
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Roger Howard

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 10:53:18 AM »

What a lovely tune .... thank you for bringing it into focus. I've heard it on Andy Cutting's cd, but never really concentrated on it. A nice start to Sunday.

Roger 8)
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Andy Cutting

• Good talker
    • Andy Cutting
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 01:54:40 PM »

Hello. Since recording it and quite a deal of research over several years (I could remember making the second part but never the first!) I discovered that the first part was in fact composed by Terry Mann (a tune he calls The Skittery Jig. I had learnt it subliminally from his band Saxophony) on re pressing my record the sleeve notes will reflect this discovery. He's a great multi instrumentalist, composer and musician.
http://terrymann.net/
Play the same but better.

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 02:09:20 PM »

Hello. Since recording it and quite a deal of research over several years (I could remember making the second part but never the first!) I discovered that the first part was in fact composed by Terry Mann (a tune he calls The Skittery Jig. I had learnt it subliminally from his band Saxophony) on re pressing my record the sleeve notes will reflect this discovery. He's a great multi instrumentalist, composer and musician.
http://terrymann.net/
Hi Andy

Thanks for the information. This gives me the opportunity to say that since I bought your album on iTunes a few months back it's been a constant source of inspiration and pleasure to me.  I've only been playing melodeon a year having been a pro guitarist all my working life.  I really appreciate the way the box blends with/compliments the acoustic guitar on the tracks.  It's a bit of a shame that you don't get any "sleeve notes" with downloaded albums as it would be really interesting to know who the other musicians are on the album and who wrote what etc.

Anyway, suffice to say I love it!!

Best Wishes

Les
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal