Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally getting my Steirische  (Read 8688 times)

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
Finally getting my Steirische
« on: July 27, 2012, 09:20:03 AM »

This is fully on topic - this box is like a big Castagnari Tommy and fully qualifies as a melodeon, the only difference is that it`s got bass reeds like Stanley steel rulers with Flip-flops on for valves and two Gleichtons .

I really wanted a 4 Row but as most German E-Bay sellers (even ones who`ll ship to the UK) won`t take PayPal, I`ve been searching Shops like Mad, I`m not happy doing bank transfers for Large sums  to Private E-Bayers in far off countries as there`s no comeback .. I was Aiming for a Used Strasser 4 Row (about Saltarelle level in Melodeonspeak and sound) originally, they`re too much cash and hard to find  ..

I never thought I`d Land a Zupan (Castagnari, even Galliard level) from a dealer for an affordable price (£1200 to the door) - yeah seen cheaper ones appearing in adverts as private sales but not so far on E-Bay and this 3 Row was direct from a dealer (not E-Bay) who takes Mastercard and ships using DHL and is used to shipping to the USA etc .. the box is 15 years old and pretty well Mint, it`s the Alpe-III D , the same model which Alessandra Mignacca plays, has one of the fastest actions of any button box made.

Anyway wish me luck - Pic of the actual box below

Alessandra playing this exact model

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy6Af0vGM4I

Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
Re: Finally getting my Steirische
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 09:30:12 AM »

Oooo!!! Well done. Great box - good price.  8)
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 10:19:46 AM »

Awesome!  I look forward to some youtube appearances!
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 10:20:38 AM »

Please could you post details of the Dealer?

Ta

Pikey
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

george garside

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 10:36:05 AM »

I never thought I`d Land a Zupan (Castagnari, even Galliard level) from a dealer for an affordable price (£1200 to the door) - yeah seen cheaper ones appearing in adverts as private sales but not so far on E-Bay and this 3 Row was direct from a dealer (not E-Bay) who takes Mastercard and ships using DHL and is used to shipping to the USA etc .. the box is 15 years old and pretty well Mint, it`s the Alpe-III D , the same model which Alessandra Mignacca plays, has one of the fastest actions of any button box made.

Interestingly she seems to be using the thumb quite a lot. What keys are the rows tuned to   

george             
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »

Did your box come with a free shiny pink suit?!

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 12:01:35 PM »

I've noticed just recently on eBay Germany that it's possible to rent a Steirische for a few months with the option to buy (reduced price) or return after the rental period.  I think this is a great idea for trying out a box properly before you buy...just a shame that the Steirische is not really my cup of tea.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Steirische-Harmonika-Mieten-oder-Ratenzahlung-Karntnerland-3-reihig-/140802676127?pt=Tasteninstrumente&hash=item20c87e559f

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 01:01:31 PM »

Check these out:
http://www.jamnik-harmonika.at/index.php?id=22

I think that Jamnik is probably the Gaillaird of the Steirische! Zupan is more like Maugein -- nothing wrong with that!

When I first became interested in playing accordions, I wanted to play the Steirische. (I actually lived in Graz, in Steiermark, and many of my friends had taken lessons as kids and were still proficient players.)

It was taking me a long time to find an instrument that I could afford.  Most beginners (in Austria) start with a three-row, but even three-row, two-voice models were too expensive for me.  At some point, an Austrian friend advised me to check out the "cheaper" accordions from Italy, and told me to do a web search for Castagnari.  Finding the Castagnari website, I ordered the (at the time) "biggest" configuration (3 row, 3 voice) that was offered -- at just about 2/3 the price of the equivalent Steirische.

It just goes to show you how relative things are: what seemed to be a cheaper instrument from an Austrian perspective turns out to be a posh "Costalotti" from the perspective of many on mel.net!

Enjoy your Steirische -- I love the sound of those helikon basses!

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 06:20:45 PM »

Thanks Mike
Pikey - it was from here ..

www.harmonika-bauer.de

Alios Bauer speaks English and unlike most dealers doesn`t demand a Bank transfer (takes Mastercard & Visa) . he`s sent it already

George - the rows are G/C/F with Gleichtons on the C and F Rows (Hence why I wanted one on the outer row of my club) - the Basses are similar to a Corona apparently . the 4 rowers add Bb as the inner. Most play them with 2 Straps so can use the thumb.. the 3 Row boxes are far more compact so I`ll probably 1 strap it like other melodeons. as I said, I really wanted a 4 Row but thinking about it, the extra size would be less than ideal .

Scann - I`ve never seen anyone playing one with a shiny pink suit - and No I`m the last person you`ll fine wearing Lederhosen too ........ it`ll be Kilt`n`Sporran (ought to freak out the forthcoming local Morris side) . the rental thing is a good idea . they seem to be no ones cup of tea bar myself and a of course Suzanne-B who`s the only person I`ve ever seen in this country with one . considering it`s basically a big MMM Club box with sensible basses, an extra Gleichton and scary bass reeds , I wonder why - probably the lack of willing for the Bavarians to let the buggers out of the country

Zupan are at the very high end of the scale as are Novak build wise, Bayerland & Karntnerland are like the Hohners of the range, Strasser, Lantzinger, Muller etc in the middle covering cheap to high up . as I said, I wanted a Strasser Solist, I love the Brassy Strasser sound , though close to it may be a bit wide in the way that a Corso can be .  the Zupans are more refined like Italian boxes and MMM isn`t trying to tear your face off but fuller and smoother than 2 voice..

The Zupan Alpe-3 and 4 were Launched during the "Bell-Wars" era of Steirishes and with 12 Bells . it`s silly really, there was a 5 row Oberkreiner with 14 (and a price tag usually reserved for cars) which get dangerously close to the bass buttons - wanna lose a finger?  - LOL

I don`t think they play 2 Row boxes over there, the Czechs have 2 row Heligonkas (like Pokerworks with turbo-bass - I like the sound of that :) so a 3 row 2V would be the cheapest , a Heligonka would still be the cheapest option, especially used otherwise it`d be a tacky looking Weltmeister with wood style sticky back plastic on  (basically a club melodeon with helikon bass - I`m amazed they don`t do a "Weiner" with Helicon instead) ......

I never thought I`d land a Zupan, I was hoping for a well used Strasser at best - bit like someone poking around at Serenellinis and landing a Casta Lillium

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:26:03 PM by Adam-T »

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 09:37:55 PM »

One interesting thing - the 4 row version has only 8 more buttons .. when you consider that on the 3 row the rows are 12/13/12 + 1 Accidental (more buttons per row than most Melodeons) , the 4 Row must have shorter rows to allow the Bb Row to exist (Pallet board space) . the other odd thing is that when checking out Zupan on Youtube, Like Alessandra,  the faster players tend to play the 3 row versions (less confusing or faster action) not 4 or 5 , hmmm

I guess I`m trying to convince (Console?) myself that 3 rows are better than 4 - LOL - Price alone dictated what I could have but its nice to see there maybe more than weight advantage..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t5t58iZ0AU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M18TbLVTgu0&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCzeGJDOJd0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5s80PSvGXc&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MryAFZVN7jE&feature=relmfu

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
Well its ARRIVED
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 01:14:01 PM »

Ordered on Friday from Germany, Landed Today ! ..

First things noted ....... 

This is the first box I`ve played with Full A-Mano reeds and what a difference to air efficiency, they literally Sip air compared to my Hohners for the same volume level , they`re also 100% consistent (box is 15 years old) and smooth with a capital smoo. Bellows are ultra supple too, effortless

Never played an action anything like as fast no wonder Alessandra managed those button slides so fast .

Everyone mentions Helikon as its the big thing of these boxes but no one mentions the Chords which sound more like a Piano, Guitar, Dulcimer when struck fast than a reed instrument so what you get is a Tuba on the Um almost a guitar strum on the Pa . Sheesh man, the Roland`s guitar chord sample wasn`t a lot better (and it didn`t have a Helikon bass sample for some reason) . yess the bass is deep ..

Build is exceptional as you`d expect and it`s in better condition than I expected , the fingerboard around the buttons is plasic coated metal rather than wood . The extra button is a Gleichton BTW. the 4 row one has only 8 more buttons so must have shorter rows.. I have to say that I love the thing, my dream Melodeon with the only wish of a 4 Row version but I doubt I`d use the Bb Row much anyway and it`d likely be muted ....... I`ll put a sound clip up at some stage

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
Well its ARRIVED
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 01:37:11 PM »

Added Comparison pic

Corso - same size as a Corona-II
Liliput - Smallest 2 or more row Melodeon bar the Preccy which is only a hair smaller

pgroff

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 02:26:40 PM »

Congratulations Adam!

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 03:57:41 PM »

Thanks Paul !! Most on here will think I`m insane (I`ve been playing the Elizabethan Melody and the Blue Danube on it so I guess they maybe right) but I`m absolutely knocked out with the thing. Everyone has "Their Box", to many here, it`ll be a Costalotti with a big C on the bellows, others will prefer a refined on-off special from a cottage luthier or even a re-fettled 30s presswood - Give me a hand crafted noise monster with big Parpy basses and I`m happy .....

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 04:14:32 PM »

I am delighted for you, Adam. Great feeling, after all the expectation, when you play it and it is what you wanted/hoped for. Do you have in mind to play British folk stuff on it (as well as its "own" styles)?

Looking forward to some YT clips.
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 04:30:50 PM »

Thanks a lot Sandy . I was worried it`d be too wet or too mellow , it`s middle of the road everywhere like a Lanzinger - not as brash as a Strasser (which I like but can be too much) or as mellow as a Beltuna Alp-Star , as wet as the Atlantic PA or dry as the Beltuna. All going by MP3 cips I`ve heard of course.. there`s hardly a Steirische shop around the corner. I`m just hoping I don`t miss the Squeaky Bb Row but this has more buttons per row than the 4 Row boxes anyway

I hate doing YT Clips with a vengeance as the sound quality is naff and thet make me nervous doing them but I`ll have to do one or two with it .. Yeah, It`ll be Polka-ing good style but I intend to use it in the Church folk group on some pieces , for instance I`ve been playing "One mind, one body" accompaniments (chords and descants) and parpy bass runs, it`s not easy on a Diatonic box like it is with a PA but worth it..

I`ll be playing trad British as well, it handles well on the push and pull despite the size of the rear end (sounds Risque that I know  ::) ) those reeds are really efficient so playing for the forthcoming local side won`t be an issue past the usual learning the tunes and hiding the PA first  ::)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:38:05 PM by Adam-T »

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »

I'm insanely envious! I've wanted a Steirische box for a long while.

I hate doing YT Clips with a vengeance as the sound quality is naff

In my experience, which bears out something I read "on the internet" (so it must be true) you get better sound on YouTube if you send them a HD video, i.e. 720p or higher - it goes thought different processing.

Also obviously once you've done a tune or two on YT you can go for quality on Soundcloud, which I would imagine plays what you uploaded (or do really high bit rate MP3s get downgraded? I've never used them)

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 07:15:44 PM »

Thanks Anhata . when I do it I`ll give that a go - gotta get past the "Uuurgh, Video Cam" stage first - LOL

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 07:27:05 PM »

HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 07:57:32 PM »

I like the "Rare collectors item" tag - you can still buy it new, have been able to since the 80s - about as "rare" or "Collectable" as a Hohner Gola PA .. I like the "Slovenian" tuning too, LOL, its the same as all Steirisches and was developed in Bavaria, they all have gleichtons on all bar the outer row .. the tuning is the less desirable Bb/Eb range (rather than C/F) but the price looks good nontheless . they do have full a-mano reeds and it shows..

I  didn`t know how the 5th row works, he`s saying its Accidentals at one point but says the box is tuned  F,Bb, Eb, Ab, Db  = 5 normal Rows .

I always laughed at the model number of the 5 Row - Alpe VD ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 08:00:05 PM by Adam-T »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal