- 13 (16.3%)
Glory of the Sun
- 24 (30%)
Septembre
- 29 (36.3%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: November 30, 2020, 05:55:17 PM

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Tune of the Month for December 2020  (Read 4517 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Poll: Tune of the Month for December 2020
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2020, 10:00:39 AM »

How you approach a tune depends on where you are on the learning curve.... which I think is what Clive is saying.
As a learner, to be able to play Flatworld reasonably well using Andy's chords is a goal which many of us wish to achieve. Mimicking an accomplished musician, using their way of tackling a tune and understanding their thinking is in itself a learning objective. To play it in such a manner is another goal to be achieved.

A more advanced player could do this and take it to another musical place, their spin on the tune, their interpretation etc which again is yet another goal.
..... which only goes to reinforce that ToTM can be approached from all points of the compass!

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

CAB

• Mass Debater
    • Somerset Russets Village Band
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2020, 12:48:00 PM »

Yup.  The ultimate aim is to combine learning from various players and weave it into a personal style.  Slavish imitation of a master is an important step along the way but not the destination.
Pas de lieu Rhône que nous

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2020, 01:09:00 PM »

'Zackly  (:)
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

arty

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2020, 01:37:39 PM »

I am amazed at the amount of interest in this Tune of the Month....3 pages of comments before the last vote has been cast!  There are some good tunes to choose from though, which is great!

I consider myself lucky to have all 4 of Stéphane Delicq’s CDs and I was surprised, this morning, to see that he didn’t actually record Septembre on any of them. As already discussed, he did record Septembre 2 on the Aquarelle CD.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2020, 04:16:11 PM »

I consider myself lucky to have all 4 of Stéphane Delicq’s CDs and I was surprised, this morning, to see that he didn’t actually record Septembre on any of them. As already discussed, he did record Septembre 2 on the Aquarelle CD.

There's 5 if you count his first album, released on record - it's on that. It predates his more well known repertoire and style by quite a lot of years, and as I remember the album art features him playing a Handry. There was a discussion on it a month or two back on this forum, presumably in the Recording and Videos thingy.

Here it is: http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,25305.msg301452.html#msg301452

[[[ In fact, it's your thread, silly me! :-) ]]]

arty

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2020, 04:27:28 PM »

OMG...I’m getting old and forgetful! Thank you Clive...and I started that discussion too!!!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2020, 04:31:41 PM »

You're not the only one. 'a month or two' = nearly 8 months. Time and memory are very strange things.

arty

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2020, 11:07:55 AM »

Re Septembre, just a quick note....a long time ago, when I was looking at this tune, I had a message from Massimo Craveri, telling me to play the basses 'Bass, Chord, Bass' and not the more usual Bass, Chord, Chord.
Try it - it's tricky!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 11:22:21 AM by Clive Williams »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal