Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: first time playing at a ceilidh  (Read 1823 times)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
first time playing at a ceilidh
« on: August 04, 2012, 03:33:09 AM »

Hello fellow mad men and women,
thought I would post a video of my first time playing at a ceilidh
on Prince Edward Island. I had a great time played at three different ceilidh's
the video is a little rough as is my playing since I was a little nervous.
I not sure if this is the right place to post it but since I'm learning I thought it should go here?
maybe I could inspire others like me to get out and play even if your not where you want to be yet.

first tune is a mother's love is a blessing played at a dance night and I was surprise they were dancing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAbKyZ2PbkU&feature=youtu.be

second tune O'Donnell abu
http://youtu.be/svwIA5u2saw

Michael
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

george garside

Re: first time playing at a ceilidh
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 10:44:24 PM »

nice rendition of a lovely waltz tune -   they got up and danced so it must be right!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 11:16:53 PM »

nice rendition of a lovely waltz tune -   they got up and danced so it must be right!

george

Thanks George
It was fun, but nerve racking waiting to play but in the end the people did dance and were all very nice and on the second tune I posted I got to play with a wonderful & funny lady Margie Carmichael a good musician and singer songwriter who made it easy to relax and have fun. I think she has played in your area too.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 11:25:36 PM by boxcall »
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 02:46:58 PM »

It's a slippery slope - how many people do I want in the band?  How often do we want to play?  Playing for dancing is just so satisfying!

In the UK, the expression "ceilidh" has come to be used for a barn dance.  It's really nice though when the break is used for other performers to have a go.  The only fear is that a brilliant box player will step up.  It has happened, but it still doesn't matter.  Dance music is, in my opinion, better without too much clever playing - many exceptions though, but that doesn't detract from a workmanlike job.  Your audience enjoyed dancing to your playing!

Rob.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:38:15 PM »

Your audience enjoyed dancing to your playing!

Rob.

And I enjoyed playing to their dancing!!  (:)
I was wondering how many times though should you play with a tune like this ?
I only went though three times . and felt after like it was to short (I think I was afraid I would screw up )
Thanks
Michael

george garside

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 11:46:15 AM »

opinions vary widely on this  and also on whether to play one tune  x many for a dance or a medley of 2 or mote.  It also depend on whether a dance is of indeterminate length eg  a simple waltz or th gay gordons  or if the dance requires a set number of bars. 

With the indeterminate ones its just a question of playing untill the ancrs look as if they've had enough & if one tune doingit over & over. If playing a medley  I personally would go through a tune twice & then change but there is no hard & fast rule on this.  If playing for a dance of fixed length  its a question of how many bars worth of music are required divided by how many bars in  the tune(s) you are using,

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 12:10:42 AM »

Your audience enjoyed dancing to your playing!

Rob.

And I enjoyed playing to their dancing!!  (:)
I was wondering how many times though should you play with a tune like this ?
I only went though three times . and felt after like it was to short (I think I was afraid I would screw up )
Thanks
Michael
If a tune's worth playing, it's worth playing at least four times through :-)
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal