Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wyper brothers' melodeon tutor for download!  (Read 7548 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
Re: Wyper brothers' melodeon tutor for download!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:13:12 PM »

http://www.thesession.org/discussions/display/30387

Wow!!! I've been after a copy of this for some time.  (:)

BTW I believe there are other Scottish melodeon tutors which pre date this publication, copies of which are held in Library collections North of the Border.  :P
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:47:31 PM by Mike Hirst »
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 12:53:41 PM »

A fantastic resource! Three pages appear to be missing (pages 13, 28 and 32), but even without these, it is a very interesting tutorial and tune collection. Does anyone know when it was published?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 10:09:49 PM »

Thanks for the link Steve....that's a real gem!

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 07:14:57 PM »

I have an LP with the Wypers Brothers on it - look out for Melodeon Greats.
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

george garside

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 10:09:47 PM »

great tune book ( and well worth printing off for that) but only about one and a half pages of melodeon specific tuition material plus the usual couple of pages of 'music theory'.

Interestingly the Wyper brothers consider the 2 row CC# semitone boxes to be melodeons rather than button accordions  . Also at a quick skim through) the tunes seem to be in CGDA. 

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 10:58:38 AM »

I've printed it out and it's a great resource. I'm using it for learning the C# row on my B/C/C# which I haven't used much as the outside row is what I'm more at home with. There are a couple of odd note positions .in the Wyper book such as a high B natural is shown on the C# row. And there are several tunes I've never come across before.

Many thanks to Nigel Gatherer for making it available

Nigel

Peadar

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 11:41:49 PM »

Does anyone have a pdf of this they would like to share?
The original link doesn't find the page...no real surprise 7 years on.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

NickF

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 08:35:54 AM »

Thank you for this sir  (:)
Serenellini 233, Streb, D/G Pokerwork, D/G Liliput, Bb/Eb Liliput, Bb/Eb Comedy Wardrobe (Hohner Model X), Bb/Eb Accidental Erika

If you can smile when things are going wrong, you must have someone else in mind to blame

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 08:41:45 AM »

Thank you Stiamh.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 08:47:01 AM »

Thanks. I haven't looked too closely yet as I'm on site in the van, but I can't find the high level. My favourite.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 12:44:11 PM »

I've just checked through it and I can't find the High level Hornpipe either.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 01:33:36 PM »

I've just checked through it and I can't find the High level Hornpipe either.

There is a page missing, which is the page with the High Level Hornpipe, Tune 26 on it.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Peadar

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 08:40:17 PM »

Does anyone have a pdf of this they would like to share?
The original link doesn't find the page...no real surprise 7 years on.

Try this link. 43 MB! I'll leave it up for a couple of days.

Ceud Mille Taing!

This is quite some resource!

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 08:42:15 PM »

I've been trying to determine the date of this publication. While Peter Wyper died in 1920, some of the recordings by Daniel Wyper included in the Regal Records advert on the final page were made in 1921. This suggests that the book was published post-1921, but, of course, this may not be the first edition, so it may have been earlier. Can anyone cast any further light on the date of publication?

Peadar

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 09:20:40 PM »

I was wondering about the date too.... presumably predates Peter Wypers patenting of the B/C since it refers specifically to C/C#  19 key instruments....though the instrument illustrated is clearly an International. Publisher is given as Peter Wyper, Hamilton NB. I am not sure when the term NB (North Britain ) went out of fashion.

The tunes included are a very interesting selection and a real insight into popular Central Belt  music of the time: Lowland, Highland (read Gaidhealach) and Irish. "Let Erin Remember" is a song which might not have been universally admired in Hamilton (then or now), on the other hand neither would Hearts of Oak.

One tune (title) really stuck out for me "Paddy was up to Ganger".  I first read it as Paddy picking a fight with the ganger.....then I realised it meant Paddy was promoted to Ganger.

A pity that page 28 is missing...It would be very interesting to see the Wyper transcription of the Pibroch of Donald Dhu.

I don't suppose anyone out there has the missing page (s)?

(Edit of 11-11-2019 : Strike out "Peter Wyper Patenting of" the B/C. He didn't patent the B/C - what he did patent in 1915 was a modification to the treble keyboard layout  that made a C/C# fully chromatic down to G below middle C, thus giving it the same floor as a fiddle or a pipe chanter.)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:07:09 PM by Peadar »

Emily Peabody

• Good talker
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 08:07:33 AM »

Thank you, I can see this will be very useful.

Peadar

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2019, 09:51:20 AM »

This tutorial is for C/C# melodeon.

Interestingly the  actual teaching methodology of this tutor designed for C/C# chromatic instruments instructs beginners that they can read the inner C# row as C and uses this throughout the book in all the tunes with sharps in the key.

All tunes in the tutorial are marked (I) for playing on the inner row and (O) for those to be played on the outer row.
The button for each note on the row is numbered, draw notes indicated by a bar over the number and notes taken from the opposite row- i.e. the accidentals relative to the row being played on. Are shown by a + sign after the number.

So here we have the evidence of the Wypers as originators of inside out playing, at the cost of playing many tunes a semitone sharp, an issue later adressed by Peter Wyper's invention and pateting of the B/C tuning.

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2019, 01:34:10 AM »

Is there a workable link or a PDF you can share? The original one doesn't work.  Thanks in advance.
MAD: Oakwood Baffetti Super II, Loffet Pro, Oakwood 3-voice, Castagnari Sander, Salterelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2019, 06:54:51 PM »

Was it up for a limited time? I downloaded it , Pm me your Email and I could send it.If its not put back up.
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal