Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wyper brothers' melodeon tutor for download!  (Read 7566 times)

Peadar

Re: Wyper brothers' melodeon tutor for download!
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2019, 10:48:25 PM »

Interestingly the Wyper brothers consider the 2 row CC# semitone boxes to be melodeons rather than button accordions  . Also at a quick skim through) the tunes seem to be in CGDA. 

george

I think that was a slight mis-understanding. In Scotland at that period Melodeon and Accordion appear to have been completely interchangeable terms.
Peter Wyper's patent 7983 AD1915 is titled "An Improved Melodeon or Accordion". The 19 key Melodeons that the Wyper brothers tutorial was written to were branded "International Accordeon" - The crossed key trademark is visible on the accordion illustrated on page 3 of the Wyper Tutorial. As late as the mid 1930's Chambers Encyclopedia (effectively Scotland's answer to the Brittanica) contained the entry " Accordion, or MELODEON, ....."

There are a couple of tunes in C and F - to be played on the outside row- i.e. at pitch as written.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 09:56:37 AM »

Was it up for a limited time? I downloaded it , Pm me your Email and I could send it.If its not put back up.

Mark, if you can send me a copy I can add it to the forum.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 10:56:47 AM »

I've now acquired a copy of the pdf.  It was a very large file - 1120Mb, now compressed to 5Mb and available on melnet here http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/page,catalogues.html
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 11:17:10 AM »

I've now acquired a copy of the pdf.  It was a very large file - 1120Mb, now compressed to 5Mb and available on melnet here http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/page,catalogues.html

That's a lot slimmer, but it seems to be missing 6 pages of tunes and two of advertisements compared with my download (43.5Mb, but I don't have the acrobat compression tool).
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2019, 11:30:13 AM »

Those pages must have been missing from the uncompressed version too.  I've just compared before and after and they both have 29 pages.

BTW I don't have Acrobat tools either, I just found an online PDF compressor.  I used https://www.ilovepdf.com/
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

The Oul' Boy

• Respected Sage
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2019, 04:42:26 PM »

I think that was a slight mis-understanding. In Scotland at that period Melodeon and Accordion appear to have been completely interchangeable terms.

My father, from Tyrone, has always referred to his 2-row semi-tone box (which he got about 1950) as a melodeon (sometimes pronounced 'melodyum') or accordion interchangeably, not sure if that's the case across the rest of Ireland too.
Warren M (Edinburgh, formerly Tyneside and Tyrone)
Hohner Pokerwork D/G

Peadar

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2019, 08:13:54 PM »

I have just amended my reply No.15, of 7 September. Subsequent research (of patent records) indicates that Peter Wyper's only patent was of a modification to the low end of the keyboard- which could be applied to a melodeon of any key- though he explained his patent with reference to C/C# instruments. He may or may not have invented the B/C, however he definitely did not patent that particular innovation. Unless someone can find a patent record to the contrary.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2019, 09:53:47 AM »

I have the 37 page version of the Wyper book available, should anyone be interested.

The additional tunes are: Lady Ann Hope; De'il Among the Tailors; Robin Adair; The Tenpenny Bit; Green Fields of America; Rakes of Kildare; Biddy the Bowl Wife; Paddy Whack; Roaring Jelly; Pet of the Pipers; Lannagan's Ball; The; Blackthorn Stick; Stool of Repentance; Captain White; Off She Goes; The Punch Bowl; Nannie Wilt Thou Gang With Me and Her Bright Smile.

The other two pages are an advert for a Scottish song book and an advert for "Scotland's Greatest Accordion Players-Peter and Daniel Wyper-Only On Regal Records-Over 70 Records-Can Be Played On All Gramophones". I would love to get my  hands on some of them.

I have compressed it to 8.15 Mb, which is fair quality and emailable. PM me if you would like a copy..
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2019, 10:45:28 AM »

Is the high level hornpipe there? It is in the index, but that page is missing.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2019, 11:04:14 AM »

Is the high level hornpipe there? It is in the index, but that page is missing.

Sadly, no. Page 13 (#25, The Drummer; #26, The High Level Hornpipe; #27, Old Bog Hole) seems to have been missing from the original posting, at the time I saved it.

Edit
As is page 28 (#47, Landlubber Hormpipe; #48, Pibroch of Donald Dhu and #49, Flowers of Edinburgh)

Otherwise, it seems complete.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:12:47 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal