Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Closing Ceremony !  (Read 7824 times)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Closing Ceremony !
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 10:06:42 AM »

I only mentioned the Morris because I was glad there was some in, but generally it was a bit lame. Where were the Wurzels, Dad's Army,Fanny Craddock, Slade and meat-pie & a cup of Oxo at half time ?

At least we didnt get Sir Elton or Sir Cliff , and we'd already had enough of Sir Paul.

It could have been even worse, with Wogan as compere  :-[
Or Bruce Forsythe. lol! He's a legend..but does waffle so.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 10:32:18 AM »

Having spent time last summer in France talking over many beers with our next door neighbours, Belgians, there is a hwhole tv channel devoted to old Brit tv programmes, and they can't get enough of it!
I think the Python thing was spot on - yes we are anarchic, and I'm so proud!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 10:43:50 AM »

Having spent time last summer in France talking over many beers with our next door neighbours, Belgians, there is a hwhole tv channel devoted to old Brit tv programmes, and they can't get enough of it!
I think the Python thing was spot on - yes we are anarchic, and I'm so proud!
Q
yep python bit was my fave. :) All the audience seemed to be singing along.

Lyra

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »

For those of you like me "not able to view this link in your country", you can get a flavour here
You have to peer quite closely to spot the morris moments though

Endolf

• Dino Baffetti Black Pearl II, Beltuna Alex 3
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 01:14:51 PM »

Hi

We watched the closing when we got back on Monday (very AM) and we had to struggle to spot ourselves. I think I was on for maybe 2 seconds in total, and then I was just a blur in the background :)

Endolf (Rag Morris + Pigsty Morris)
Rag Morris
Pigsty Morris
Benfieldside Side (ex)
Gloucestershire Morris Men (once you're in, you can never leave)

Jack Entwhistle

• New Starter
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2012, 01:44:24 PM »

Well said!

Knowing Blackheath and their culture, I can just imagine what their response would be to a media type asking them to a) wear something different or b)  dance in a certain way   >:E

Well done that they didn't depart from their inimitable style!  Here's the link to see them do it again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19238439
[/quote]

This is true. The organisers were aware that we would not perform if the Morris was lampooned or, in our opinion, degraded. Fair play to them, this was never their intention and I think they hit the right spot.

I did feel a bit sorry for Rag Morris from Bristol, who put in a great deal of effort and were rewarded with very little camera time - this probably was not their primary objective, but it would have been nice to have seen more of them.

Jack
Bagman, Blackheath Morris

PS Thanks for your good opinions, btw.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2012, 01:50:31 PM »

Endolf and Jack: Well done to you both for making sure the morris was dealt with properly, and for getting in there and making a symbolic gesture that many of us would have liked to make to Seb Coe personally.

My gesture would have been somewhat less symbolic, but would have featured a stick and his eyes watering  >:E
Well done both sides
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Matthew B

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 02:42:45 PM »

Fo those of you like me "not able to view this link in your country", you can get a flavour hereYou have to peer quite closely to spot the morris moments though

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

NBC = "No B****y Coverage"
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

AirTime

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 05:44:01 PM »

As a 15 year old schoolboy in England I thought Monty Python was very funny, very clever & very subversive ... but, I also thought "If" was the greatest film ever made!  ;)

I think the problem with the closing ceremonies was that (even for me) it was very hard to distinguish the knowingly ironic from the straightforwardly tacky. It was to "cultural events" in general, what a Vegas wedding is to "weddings" in general.

Incidentally, there was a lot of Mod & "Neo-Mod" culture on display - but where was the Punk?
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2012, 09:31:28 PM »

We were shouting - Ni - at the teachers for weeks, didn`t get a Shrubbery though (a Board rubber around the ear'ole isn`t the same)
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 09:36:05 AM »

Nice one Jack!

Plese give my best to Nodge, Geva, Doug Adams, and Stu Conney, and anyone else that remembers Pikey.

Byron and Rick would indeed have been very proud of what you did.

I had the great honour to first meet Blackheath culture when I was an impressionable 17 year old Ebor Morris man, at a weekend ale (and lots of it!) in Streatham (via Midhurst, a number of rural pubs, and Clapham Common), with Blackheath and Bampton. I found out later that it was Nodges first dance out!

We then had lots of dance (and drink) outs with your lot over several years, in London and York, one highlight being when you turned up uninvited to my wedding, in a variety of posh evening wear, in the converted green ambulance  ;D

Keep up the Blackheath tradition!

(do you still do the Ptomanian?)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 01:09:05 PM »

I bet the Whitby Closing Ceremony will be more fun!  :M :||: :|glug :Ph :|bl
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2012, 01:26:11 PM »

How would you know? I thought you were boycotting anything Olympic??   ;)
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2012, 04:57:52 PM »

This side of the pond (at least at our house) the opening ceremony was the strange one.
We found ourselves constantly saying "well, maybe this makes sense to the Brits".
(and we are relatively anglophilic, so it really was mystifying)
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2012, 05:27:51 PM »

I must admit we spent quite a bit of time saying, "Well, I've no idea what this bit's about, so what on earth do foreigners make of it?"
Marje

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2012, 10:36:26 PM »

I went a-sessioning instead.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

birchy

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2012, 10:53:21 PM »

It was a fantastic experience. As a relatively new Morris dancer with Blackheath I felt incredibly privileged to have taken part. It wasn't immediately obvious on the telly but we did a "routine" based on Upton stick, with heys and back to backs etc which took a lot of working out.  Bristol rag did fantastic work, four groups of six doing a sort of Bampton.  Of course it wasn't a "Morris dance" but we did dance morris. And the director, Kim Gavin, had morrised in his younger years, so didn't take the piss.

Of course, on the telly, you only saw a small part of it, but the athletes and 80,000 crowd would have seen it all.  I think it was wonderful, and I wouldn't have had that experience if it hadn't been for Blackheath. And I've started playing melodeon!  :||:  :M  (:)

David

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2012, 11:46:48 PM »

It was a fantastic experience. As a relatively new Morris dancer with Blackheath I felt incredibly privileged to have taken part. It wasn't immediately obvious on the telly but we did a "routine" based on Upton stick, with heys and back to backs etc which took a lot of working out.  Bristol rag did fantastic work, four groups of six doing a sort of Bampton.  Of course it wasn't a "Morris dance" but we did dance morris. And the director, Kim Gavin, had morrised in his younger years, so didn't take the piss.

Of course, on the telly, you only saw a small part of it, but the athletes and 80,000 crowd would have seen it all.  I think it was wonderful, and I wouldn't have had that experience if it hadn't been for Blackheath. And I've started playing melodeon!  :||:  :M  (:)

David

My goodness! Where's the 'Like' button on this forum?   ;D

Endolf

• Dino Baffetti Black Pearl II, Beltuna Alex 3
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2012, 09:02:11 AM »

And the director, Kim Gavin, had morrised in his younger years, so didn't take the piss.
Both Kim and Gareth (choreographer) were supportive, it was quite refreshing from what we are normally used to in the morris.

And I've started playing melodeon!
Not another bl**dy box player!!

:D

Endolf
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:04:32 AM by Endolf »
Rag Morris
Pigsty Morris
Benfieldside Side (ex)
Gloucestershire Morris Men (once you're in, you can never leave)

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2012, 10:21:09 AM »

...But Blackheath box players are different.........
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal