Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: using just the c row on a b/c  (Read 4513 times)

bagaspuds

using just the c row on a b/c
« on: October 31, 2008, 02:50:34 PM »

I've been playing a b/c cairdeen for about 4 years now, mostly reels and jigs and am even getting the
basses going, but a cajun tune caught my ear, and i looked into that style since I have a C row.  It
seems that there is a lot more push and pull, and I need to know if that is normal for the cajun style
or is that normal for a one row, or both.

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
Re: using just the c row on a b/c
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 03:19:13 PM »

There are many traditions that still retain one row melodeons, Cajun being probably the most well known and widespread.  All the notes of the tune are on the C row and accompanied by the C and G Bass/chords therefore you'll need to waggle the bellows to get the D, F, A and B notes.  Whilst your box can play the cajun style (G tunes on the C row)  if you stick to the C row it will not sound quite the same but I'm sure you'll have lots of fun exploring the possibilities of one row playing.
Ciao Bellow

Darren

bagaspuds

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 04:32:33 PM »

If I only play the inside row, aren't I limited to just C tunes?

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 04:54:09 PM »

If I only play the inside row, aren't I limited to just C tunes?
No - not at all. As Darren has pointed out, players in Cajun style on a 1-row box in C will play in the key of G major, but using a flattened seventh, i.e. F-natural instead of F-sharp. It's partly that which gives Cajun tunes their flavour anyway. Also you can play in a modal D minor as well, and a certain amount of A minor too.  You need to be prepared to do a certain amount of fudging of some tunes in order compensate for notes which you do not have, such as F-sharp and C-sharp, but that's part of the fun and creativity of playing a melodeon with a restricted palette of notes. 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

bagaspuds

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 05:26:02 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  I think I'll look into this a little further and maybe
get an instruction book.  I appreciate the feedback.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 07:12:05 PM »

Many of the older players e.g. Dolly Curtis from East Anglia, played all their tunes in C, either on a B/C box or a C/C#.
They generally stuck to the C row but grabbed odd accidentals from the other row.
This style has long faded, which is a shame as it had a unique flavour. Perfect for Music Hall type tunes and the like.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

TomB-R

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 01:04:56 PM »

Many of the older players e.g. Dolly Curtis from East Anglia, played all their tunes in C, either on a B/C box or a C/C#.
They generally stuck to the C row but grabbed odd accidentals from the other row.
This style has long faded, which is a shame as it had a unique flavour. Perfect for Music Hall type tunes and the like.

I can think of a player in West Cork (can't remember his name though,) who does just that.

Decent player though, plays for Irish sets, and you know the speed they go!
Tom

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 01:02:36 PM »

Most players at our Sunday night session play only on the C row. They ARE limited to C tunes only that way though.
Can it be common in West Cork? It would be interested to know the name of that other West Cork player... Maybe someone I know!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 01:12:54 PM »

They ARE limited to C tunes only that way though.

Not really,   many G tunes will work too, as will Am and some in Dm modes.   You have to learn new fingering patterns though, and that is too much of a barrier for some people to cross.  I always get beginners on a D/G box playing in A by the second lesson, just so that they never see that apparent barrier.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 08:36:05 PM »

Interesting. You should come to West Cork and give these old fellas a lesson then... 8)

TomB-R

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 12:19:25 AM »

The elephant in the room surely deserves a quick nod!
Playing tunes on the inside row of a half step box is "playing tunes on the inside row of a half step box!"
That playing method is the main thing from the player's own point of view, matching the key of the music with other player's expectations is separate thing.

Do it on a C#/D and you've joined the ranks of C#/D players. Do it on a B/C and that's fine if other people are happy to play in the keys that come out, (or to re-tune.) Do it on a D/D# and you'll maybe get everyone to tune up a semitone for a brighter sound (and you might even end up sounding like Mairtin O'Connor!)

Then again while you're on the B/C you'll be able to play happily with all the C/F Club enthusiasts on this forum!

But there's nothing unusual about it.
Tom

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 02:55:13 PM »

I always get beginners on a D/G box playing in A by the second lesson, just so that they never see that apparent barrier.
Hurrah for A on D/G boxes.  Sounds great, the fingering is easy and the chords lie naturally.  Many of my local players think you've grown a second head if you play in A at sessions.

Back to thread.  If it's on your box, use it.  Italian Organetto put three extra buttons as an inside row and there are just reversals of the three buttons they sit along side, makes for great playing.  ie. http://www.nme.com/video/id/Xp71KKBTz78/search/organetto

Ooops - he's got four extras
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 02:58:06 PM by No Strings Attached »
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal