Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zinc repairs  (Read 1505 times)

OldDog

• Good talker
Zinc repairs
« on: September 07, 2012, 11:25:32 PM »

I recently got an old Koestler (post-war made in the DDR for Koestler) one row melodeon. It is in practically mint condition. The only thing wrong is that one of the flapper type bass valves (looks like the kind found on Hohner H114 melodeons, for example) is cracked and almost falling off. The crack is right where the lever part widens out to become the valve. It is made of zinc. It is not magnetic and I can see (with a loupe) the base metal around the edges of the crack. It is white. Brass would be dark. Anyway, can zinc be soldered? If I remember correctly, the melting point of zinc is rather low, so I doubt if it can be. It won't take the heat required to solder it. Is there any kind of glue that can be used? Superglue is strong but brittle, I believe. Can anyone suggest a repair that might work other than finding another box with a valve I could use? 

Thanks for your help.
Paul N.
Tonawanda, NY
Over the hill? What hill?! I didn't see no hill!

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
Re: Zinc repairs
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 12:27:14 AM »

Epoxy? A picture would help.
Is this one of the "spoons" you are talking about? Then why not get two of them from CGM or elsewhere, and replace them both?

Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

OldDog

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 01:45:14 AM »

Yes, they're the spoons. I couldn't think of the name. Who is CGM, and can you get them in different sizes? This is a small box.

Over the hill? What hill?! I didn't see no hill!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 07:38:20 AM »

Yes, they're the spoons. I couldn't think of the name. Who is CGM, and can you get them in different sizes? This is a small box.
CGM is Charlie Marshall based in Scotland. He is a well known and most trustworthy source of spare parts for melodeons. He ships overseas too:
http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Welcome.html

See here for Hohner spoon-bass keys:
http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Hohner_Parts.html#48
Charlie also stocks similar items for other makes of instrument, so you could well be in luck. Give him a call/e-mail.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal