Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Listen to what you are playing...  (Read 1301 times)

arty

Listen to what you are playing...
« on: September 09, 2012, 07:26:46 PM »

Who was it that said you should play the melodeon with your whole body?

As a relative beginner, (I bought my first melodeon on the 1st May), I have been concentrating on my fingers, hitting the right buttons, the bellows, making them go in and out at the right time, the air button, reading the music and trying to keep time. I feel I have managed to play a few tunes reasonably well and decided, some weeks ago, to try something faster and more rhythmical. I chose Princess Royal.

Playing it through slowly at first, I got the fingering ok and the basses seem to work well but when I tried to speed it up, I got in a bit of a mess. I could never manage to play it all the way through without making stupid mistakes all over the place. Like, concentrating so hard I would leave out a note or two simply because I forgot to reverse the bellows. So annoying! But, I have been practicing it every day for several weeks and then today....eureka!

I finally let myself go and I could feel the rhythm right through my body, I didn't have to think about my fingers or the bellows, I just felt it. And what's more, I was able to listen to myself playing. Fantastic...and a great lesson learnt. I only hope I can still do it tomorrow!

I know from the past, while learning other instruments, teachers have stressed the importance of listening to yourself play, which means knowing a tune and your intrument so well that you don't have to think about what you are doing. Just listen.

I'm so happy with my practice today!  ;D
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
Re: Listen to what you are playing...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 08:23:25 PM »

Its a great feeling when you get there with a tune. Just keep it in mind when you hit periods of when you think it is never going to gell.
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

Chris Brimley

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 09:38:12 PM »

Many people think the 'push-pull' pattern of a melodeon is what gives it it's distinctive rhythm, but I'm not sure that's the whole story.  Equally important to my mind is the way you can easily emphasise the rhythm in a piece of music by variations in volume, following, (but also as a result of) body movements, and maybe that is what those teachers had in mind.  It really is amazingly enjoyable to strike up a dance tune with the right infectious emphasis, and watch the audience smile, clap, and jig about!  It's difficult to explain what happens, but you immediately know it when you hear it!

ocajun

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 10:16:10 PM »

I think we managed a bit of that last night. Audience response just feeds back into the mix and lifts the whole thing. Very enjoyable indeed. Doesn't feel like you're having to work too hard and you can feel like you're listening to what you're playing along with your audience.
Music from the swamps of Louisiana, the bogs of Ireland and the Moss of Balloch!

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 11:08:27 PM »

I think I learnt more about making music by watching Ali Anderson (Ok so I know it's not a melodeon) than anyone else.  He moves his body with the music in a way that makes total sense when you see it and adds to the music (IMHO).  Jacqueline Du Pre was the same with the cello.

Steve

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 11:14:29 AM »

I know when I'm enjoying playing a tune I tend to 'sway with the music'.  :|bl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal