Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: non-Cajun tunes for one row in C  (Read 2200 times)

Gyurme

non-Cajun tunes for one row in C
« on: September 18, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »

I have a 4 stop, one row cajun box in C, and just been playing the cajun repetoire. I thought it would be both fun and interesting to learn some other genre of songs that will work nicely on a one row in C.
I came across a guy on youtube playing an old pokerwork one row in C doing a version of 'The Sherbourne Waltz' which sounded real nice and I managed to find the notes for this melody online.

Would you be able to me have the names (and possibly links to online notation and/or performances) of other non-cajun songs ( Irish, Newfoundland, Scottish,etc) that might work nicely on a one row in C? Thanks!  :||: :|||:

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: non-Cajun tunes for one row in C
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:02:23 PM »

The East Anglian repertoire sounds really good on a 1 row in C.

This book would be good

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 07:04:51 PM »

A lot of things that can be played on one row of a D/G (of my own favourites, The Sloe and Princess Royal spring to mind) would work on a one-row presumably, although they'd come out in C rather than in D or G in those cases.  Do you learn by ear, sheet music or ABC?  Attached a link to a nice little app that'll take an ABC file and convert it into a different key for you:

http://www.folkinfo.org/songs/abcconvert.php
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

deltasalmon

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:12:14 PM »

Two Irish session tunes that I play on my B/C box without leaving the C-row are Britches Full of Stitches (in G) and The Lilting Banshee.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 07:33:02 PM »

You don't have to look for specific tunes, anything that just uses the notes of one major scale can be played on a C one row, in C.  You can also play any tune in G without F#s.  Lots of great tunes from Quebec designed for one row,  some of them very cleverly shift into other keys for part of the tune by using the notes that are there.  Minor tunes are also possible but will come out in either Dm or Am.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Gyurme

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 11:14:34 PM »

thanks guys. (:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal