Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 melodeons...and hi :-)  (Read 3029 times)

jasminesknight

2 melodeons...and hi :-)
« on: September 12, 2012, 11:41:42 PM »

hi there new to site. am a regular around folk fest and scene in suffolk and recently aquired a hohner erica and a regal melodeon. both are in great condition. the erica has a small scuff on the bellow wrapping but doesnt affect pressure and both may need tuning and have one reed that is a bit...whistley?!? other than that seem in tip top condition.
i really dont know what i have here and am looking for some advise, if there is anyone in bury st edmunds area that knows/repairs/tunes these instruments i would love to find out more. i would like to sell one on to a good home and keep one to learn to play.
there are no dates although am sure are at least 30 years old. any help would be amazing, was recomended your site from guys from ely folk fest group on facebook

can email photos of these boxes to you if you would like to see
the regal came with a back story, that although it says made in germany was made in australia by by a member of the familly that constructed them out of materials available (so made with tin plate not brass) was owned by a member of the lord nelson training ship and after a motorcylce accident lost an arm and gave it to ken stephens (spinners)(spindrift) who then gave it to the lady i got these from. not validated but good story lol

thankyou
neil

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
Re: 2 melodeons...and hi :-)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 07:27:06 AM »

i really dont know what i have here and am looking for some advise, if there is anyone in bury st edmunds area that knows/repairs/tunes these instruments i would love to find out more.
neil

Is Chelmsford near enough? Then Martyn White ('Martyn' on this site) is your man. Some recent comments about quality of his work posted under thread title White the Wizard.

Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 10:41:08 PM »

It might also by worthwhile contacting Katie Howson at East Anglia Traditional Music Trust. (www.eatmt.org.ok)

They run regular melodeon classes in Stowmarket and will know all the local contacts.

Andy
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

jasminesknight

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:02:56 AM »

wicked thats great working in stowmarket restoring a farmhouse atm so quite handy, will do :-) thanks guys

911377brian

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 09:10:07 AM »

What is the difference between 'Pressed Wood' and 'Pokerwork'? I'm assuming that my old 1040 [black bellflowers on a gold base] is pokerwork, so what does pressed wood look like? Hope I've put this in the correct place....

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 11:01:15 AM »

LOL technically it's the wrong place, an new thread in 'makes and models' would perhaps be better. Anyway, yes, the gold and black is normally called "pokerwork".
"Presswood" is a honey coloured wood effect with a (very) broadly similar pattern in a darker brown. The box is otherwise very similar, with most parts interchangeable-ish. I don't think Presswoods have been made since quite a long time.
Mostly seen in two row but I think I've seen a couple of one-rows.

I will see if I can find a link to one on Ebay, there is at least one there at present.
Added: photography is a bit dark, but you get the idea.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Hohner-Wooden-Wood-Accordion-German-C-F-NICE-/130765250243?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e72375ec3#ht_884wt_754
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:05:07 AM by malcolmbebb »
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

911377brian

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 11:06:33 AM »

Thanks Malcolm; it's been niggling away at me for years...

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 11:18:35 AM »

Continuing the thread drift - why break with tradition?  - I have recently bought a couple of wrecked Presswoods with the medium term (!) aim of getting at least one playable box out of them. Personally I like the look better than the black and gold.
Fortunately my good lady seems to do likewise. After teasing me for sneaking another box in, she examined it and declared it "pretty".  :Ph
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 12:32:34 PM »

I think that may be something to do with newbie perception.  The Pokerwork seems to be a favoured beginner box and is very distinctive, so if a manufacturer can make something that to the untrained eye looks like an old Pokerwork and writes Hohner on it, people will buy it.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

jasminesknight

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 08:35:59 AM »

hi there done some more research and got in touch with martyn white and eatm guys.
i went to see martyn and had mixed results. the erica was c/c# which is not popular however is sold but the regal i thought was worthless, i was told is over 100 years old and is the best example of one he has ever seen, so came away very happy only thing is i dont know if i want to learn to play with one so rare lol

thanks for your help
if anyone is interested in a top quality regal let me kn
neilow :-)

Martyn

• Respected Sage
  • Hohnerohner
    • Martyn White Melodeon Tuning and Repairs
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 10:49:09 AM »

hi there done some more research and got in touch with martyn white and eatm guys.
i went to see martyn and had mixed results. the erica was c/c# which is not popular however is sold but the regal i thought was worthless, i was told is over 100 years old and is the best example of one he has ever seen, so came away very happy only thing is i dont know if i want to learn to play with one so rare lol

thanks for your help
if anyone is interested in a top quality regal let me kn
neilow :-)

I can indeed confirm the Regal is in virtually mint condition and looks like it has hardly been played from new.
It has 3-voices, 3-stops LMM and is in G. The reeds are brass and are on single long zinc plates.

So Neil you need to learn to play it!   (:) :||:

Martyn
'Anything from a small repair to a full restoration'.
www.melodeonrepairs.co.uk

jasminesknight

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 06:23:15 PM »

yup on it getting half hour in each morning :-) famillies ears cant stand much more than that  >:E

well hopefully ill be hitting reels like theres no tomorrow or at least be able play along in the session tent at ely, booya

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 06:30:45 PM »

Only three months to Christmas; time to get practicing some carols.  :)

I started in October last year; loving it.  And you have a virtual folk club here of people to help you along the way. 

Perhaps you might like to come along to Playgroup?

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,9754.0.html
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal