Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: single row in G resource  (Read 6404 times)

jasminesknight

single row in G resource
« on: September 25, 2012, 07:21:21 PM »

hi there am a total beginner and have had a crash course in the mechanics of a melodeon however am still confused about multi row vs single row etc.
where can i look for resources specifically for single row as from what i can work out two row doesnt transfer to single row?! also i only have two bass keys. chose this over the erica so i can practice basics, mechanics and hopefully play a tune, when i get those down could upgrade but got enough to be going on with.
any direction appreciated

thanks
neil

deltasalmon

Re: single row in G resource
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 07:28:30 PM »

I don't play a 1-row melodeon (except when I happen to play tunes on my 2-row that never stray from the C-row) but here are some links that might help:

http://forum.melodeon.net/files/site/Gonerow.gif

http://melodeonminutes.blogspot.com/2011/06/one-row-tunes-for-beginners.html // this link doesn't seem to have much info...

https://picasaweb.google.com/116957848454049017486/TuftySwiftMelodeonTutorBooklet?feat=directlink#5410292091447060034

also if you look into Cajun accordion, that's most often played on a 1-row melodeon
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 07:33:30 PM by deltasalmon »
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 07:30:52 PM »

Now if you have a 1 row with only two basses I assume it is a 2/3/4 stop and if it is in G it is pitched an octave down on the G row of a D/G so you are correct the two row style doesn't really copy across. You really need to play in the upper octave (Buttons 5-10) otherwise you will be missing the E below the G which appears in many tunes.

Layout if you haven't already found it

Sage Herb

• Steve Harrison
  • Slaithwaite, UK
    • The Black Box Band
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 07:48:21 AM »

I don't play a 1-row melodeon (except when I happen to play tunes on my 2-row that never stray from the C-row) but here are some links that might help:

https://picasaweb.google.com/116957848454049017486/TuftySwiftMelodeonTutorBooklet?feat=directlink#5410292091447060034

also if you look into Cajun accordion, that's most often played on a 1-row melodeon

Thanks for the link to Tufty Swift's little book, which I hadn't seen before. Tufty was the complete one-row player and is greatly missed. I think that his recordings are still available from Free Reed.

Steve
Hohner Erikas & Club 2s
Hohner gob-harps:
Vega Senator 5-string banjo; Alex Burns plectrum guitar

Black Box Band - www.theblackboxband.co.uk
Annie Dearman & Steve Harrison - www.dearmanharrison.co.uk
Phoenix - www.phoenixdanceband.co.uk
http://soundcloud.com/sage-herb

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 07:55:09 AM »

Thanks for the link to Tufty Swift's little book, which I hadn't seen before. Tufty was the complete one-row player and is greatly missed. I think that his recordings are still available from Free Reed.

Steve

Tufty's book available here as a PDF

Martyn

• Respected Sage
  • Hohnerohner
    • Martyn White Melodeon Tuning and Repairs
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »

Now if you have a 1 row with only two basses I assume it is a 2/3/4 stop and if it is in G it is pitched an octave down on the G row of a D/G so you are correct the two row style doesn't really copy across. You really need to play in the upper octave (Buttons 5-10) otherwise you will be missing the E below the G which appears in many tunes.

Layout if you haven't already found it

It's a Regal so it's pitched the same as a normal G box. Not an octave down like a Hohner one row in G.

Martyn
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:33:04 AM by Martyn »
'Anything from a small repair to a full restoration'.
www.melodeonrepairs.co.uk

jasminesknight

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 12:19:42 AM »

thanks for the links am checking those out and downloading tuffty's book for a little shoofty.
confused again by the technical talk lol once i have cracked what each button does and how to string a few together i am sure i will be able to pick up the applicable musical terms for the box :0)
do you have just one octave on a single row? as if memory serves me an octave is 8 notes right do re me etc so then as you work down the keys you get to another octave?!?!

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 01:09:55 AM »

Hi Jasminesknight,

You should have 2 octave on a 10 button one-row plus a bit more at the top and bottom as each button plays 2 notes.

Cheers

Squeezy
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

old geezer

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Melodeon
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 03:12:05 AM »

welcome to the forum

the blue words are a click-able link to another page
if you where to click on Lester's link it will take you to this

edit to add
for other keyboard layouts, click on <Home> then under Keyboard Layouts select one of the options
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:22:47 AM by old geezer »
Jack Murphy    beyond the black stump

jasminesknight

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 08:03:27 AM »

sweet i think i got that :-) so thats all the notes. next thing is i dont read music....is this something i should learn too....when i failed to play guitar they use tabs. i have seen something about abc on here and am looking into it...you have to download a program to use it?
again i appologise for my ignorance im a total noob but gimme a month and ill be on it.

neil

old geezer

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Melodeon
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »

here is a simple tune starting on button 6 going in with the bellows
using only buttons 5,6 &7. pls insert your own timing

gagf#ED
abag
gbba
gagE
EDgbag

I accept no responsibility for annoying the neighbors (e&oe)
Jack Murphy    beyond the black stump

Howard Jones

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 12:42:55 PM »

abc is a system for writing musical notation using ordinary text.  It is possible to read and play from it straight off the page, but I imagine most people use a program to convert it to conventional notation, and also to play it back.  There are several free programs, I use ABC Explorer but others have their own preferences.

The most common tab system for melodeon is CADB, which can be adapted for any number of rows.  Most of the resources seem to be French tunes for 2-rows.  This website explains how it works:

http://diato.org/exptab2.htm

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal