Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you know when it's time to get a new melodeon?  (Read 6847 times)

JohnnyMoncton

• Juneau Folk Arts, on Youtube
How do you know when it's time to get a new melodeon?
« on: September 28, 2012, 07:25:49 PM »

How do you avoid the natural impulse to skip to a new kind of box each time your skills plateau?

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: How do you know when it's time to get a new melodeon?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 07:32:25 PM »

Get a three row. Doesn't stop your skills plateauing - but endless possibilities to explore  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 07:39:20 PM »

Get a one row. Doesn't stop your skills plateauing - but endless possibilities to explore

And I case George is on a day off "What you really need is a B/C/C#"   ;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:43:51 PM by Lester »

LDbosca

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 07:55:14 PM »

What I always do with new instruments is use them as a reward for achievement. I wanted a 12 bass Gaillard years ago so I set a six month target for improving my use of the basses as well as my playing overall. Only then did I order one...which meant I'd another two years to wait.

There are too many players who manifest their enthusiasm for the instrument by buying instruments. It boggles my mind that anyone (disclaimer: who doesn't absolutely need more than one tuning) would have more than one box of a reasonably playable standard before they're pretty good at the instrument.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »

It boggles my mind that anyone (disclaimer: who doesn't absolutely need more than one tuning) would have more than one box of a reasonably playable standard before they're pretty good at the instrument.

They must be MAD >:E
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 08:22:54 PM »

When you start battling the instrument, rather than playing it. Your instrument should feel like an extension of your arm. My Bouebe at the moment is a source of constant irritation and the reeds just won't do what I want them to do. Solution is to buy a new box, but I really can't afford one right now :(
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

waltzman

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 08:30:52 PM »

How do you avoid the natural impulse to skip to a new kind of box each time your skills plateau?

Don't fight it. >:E

george garside

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:31:39 AM »

for  about 20 years  the only box I had was a hohner trichord  which I  more than happy with as it was what I could afford!.  I  think the urge to participate in MAD  may well be a by product of having the brass to afford to indulge in it rather than the need of a ?better/?different box & if I'm honest that has applied to me.  I am now in the process of'' reduction and simplification''  and to start the process I have   aquired a do er up er trichord - back to roots sort of thing

george ;D
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 09:39:46 AM »

Before deciding your old box is not good enough you should get it properly set up and tuned by your favourite box technician.  Even owners of posh boxes often struggle on for years with poor reed response and not quite in tune and are amazed at the difference when the box has been really well set up.  This applies to everything from Hohners upwards.
If after this you still want something better then it will be easier to sell if it comes with a recent invoice for a full retune and setup.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

george garside

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 11:30:14 AM »

old melodeon proverb!  ( just  thought up!!)    ''don't expect a more expensive box to play better if you can't!''

george >:E
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 12:50:17 PM »

No way am I about to part with my beloved Oakwood, but I can testify that it sounds (and plays) more nicely after he "fettled;) it earlier in the year.  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 01:11:51 PM »

I don't have a fixed opinion on this, but having far too many boxes myself here is my explanation...  Like many, I started playing a borrowed Hohner.  It was great fun, although as they're not noted for playing quietly I devised a rule at home not to play before 9am or after 9pm.  I also spent most lunch hours at work in a sound-proof room.

After a while, I found that getting ornamentations and runs fast and smooth was beyond me, although I could play them on other peoples' boxes, so the quest began.  I went through a number of different boxes, sometimes to get the three voice sound or because it had a faster action - although I'll never be able to play at the speed expected of an Irish session player!  I'm actually very happy with the current box (a Trilly) because I mostly play it in LMM mode, although it offers every possible permutation.  As covered in other threads, it isn't quite as good when playing MM or M as a dedicated box, but it covers playing for morris, ceilidhs and sessions and the action is lovely.

The journey has covered half a dozen boxes but the practice on a box with a better action has enabled me to play better on the Hohners' somewhat less sensitive action.  I have also blown out a couple of boxes from forcing them to unreasonable volume in accoustically challenging outdoor situations.  I believe the reeds are no longer optimally set, so the response is uneven across the scale.  The whole thing is rather like changing your car to meet your current needs whilst still  looking for a better driving experience.  Probably explains why you can buy a SUV from Porsche, although the 911 still appeals!

Rob.

MartinW

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 09:33:49 PM »

When is it the right time to buy a new melodeon ? Well, I suppose it would be if my wife was not watching. Other than that I have made it a rule only to buy melodeons on days that politicians and newspapers told lies.
Martin
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:36:46 PM by MartinW »

Jinkers1

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 09:37:21 PM »

...I have made it a rule only to buy melodeons on days that politicians and newspapers told lies...

So that would be any day, then?  >:E

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 10:01:24 PM »

Depends what box you're plateauing on.  If it's a chinese cheapie then you're probably right to trade up.  After that then I think (for most of us casual players) it's a question of when you want a new sound or keys that your current box won't give. I now have two boxes because the Loffet doesn't give me the Hohner sound that I sometimes want (and I'm not going to risk the Loffet in a tent or a narrow boat!).

Again (and this is possibly heresy) I think it's possible to have a box which is just too responsive for the level of skills that you have or are likely to attain and this can be as big a problem as plateauing on a lesser box.

Steve

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 12:26:38 AM »

Before deciding your old box is not good enough you should get it properly set up and tuned by your favourite box technician.  Even owners of posh boxes often struggle on for years with poor reed response and not quite in tune and are amazed at the difference when the box has been really well set up.  This applies to everything from Hohners upwards.
If after this you still want something better then it will be easier to sell if it comes with a recent invoice for a full retune and setup.

Agreed. I've had the Bouebe done over by both Mike and Martyn and both have done fantastic jobs on it. But although it is better, it still isn't as good as I want it to be :(
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 11:56:39 AM »

I realise I may have given a wrong impression.  I have bought boxes to try a different sound or action and it has proved beneficial when returning to a "lesser" box - but I've only sold two boxes in the whole process (of neccessity) so I do still use the old boxes when they are the appropriate one for the moment.  In many ways, among my favourites are the older Hohner Clubs.  These seem to have been designed largely for use in accordian clubs and marching bands so their basses can overwhelm the melody.  I wonder whether Theo ever succeeded in reaming out the treble end air hles to increase the volume?

Rob.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 12:00:46 PM »

I wonder whether Theo ever succeeded in reaming out the treble end air hles to increase the volume?

Still on the "to do" list.  :-[ :'(
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Ed Rennie

• Good talker
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 01:29:18 PM »

When you've played all the ones you have.
There's a lot more goodies in the pipeline ...

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 01:35:12 PM »

...or you see a blue Hohner on Ebay...
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal