Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hmmmm .... Crisis!  (Read 7857 times)

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
Hmmmm .... Crisis!
« on: September 28, 2012, 10:12:19 PM »

Not taken a melodeon out of the bag for 4 weeks now!.... not like me! ... longest layoff other than injury for 18 years! ..... need to re-excite the need to play a tune!     :-\ :-\ :-\
DTN
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Andy Simpson

Re: Hmmmm .... Crisis!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 10:27:31 PM »

I'd say stop worrying, take your mind off it and wait for the muse to return in it's own time.

That or just buy an expensive new box that you'll feel obliged to play as much as possible to get your money's worth.  ;D

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 07:41:43 AM »

My advice,for what it's worth is to find one of Bob Cann's tunes from, for instance "West country melodeon" and go for it trying to put the nuances into the tune that he did. Totally infectious.
He had a band called The South Devon Pixies consisting of himself a mouth organist and a saw player.
Calling and playing at the same time was to my mind utter genius, including (during a very complicated piece) saying " Would you mind being quiet at the toilet end please" and no change to rhythm at all .
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Gary

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 10:24:36 AM »

Wow, that is shocking news Derek. You are still active in the virtual world  however, every week I dip back into your  u tube postings ,listen, practice and then try not to run away from my box muttering.." No way, how on earth does he play that fast ? "

The urge will return, I get the similiar ebbs and flow with my desire to dress in female apparel.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 10:59:44 AM »

Maybe you can compete with lester and challenge yourself to a tune a day?

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 11:03:27 AM »

The urge will return, I get the similiar ebbs and flow with my desire to dress in female apparel.

warning .. severe thread drift ... that wasn't you who strolled into a session in Whitby wearing a fetching outfit of short black leather skirt, high heeled black leather boots, black tights, red satin ladies blouse and little black jacket just as we were singing " My proper name is Clarence .... but you can call me Clare"  was it?   ;D
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 11:14:12 AM »

DTN the gods are trying to tell you something - this just appeared on my YouTube Recommended Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RyY7WDmkog&feature=g-vrec

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 12:46:32 PM »

DTN the gods are trying to tell you something - this just appeared on my YouTube Recommended Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RyY7WDmkog&feature=g-vrec

That is probably still my most favourite clip, I started a thread a few years ago with it.

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,2192.msg23218.html#msg23218
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 01:27:38 PM »

OK.... I put my original status up because i simply got lazy .. couldn't be bothered to get the box out ..I hoped someone would reply and just tell me i'm stupid (often done)  .. so reading the replys this morning made me realise i am being stupid!... so i got thinking ... Wife and daughter have gone out for the day! ... To visit Leicester University  (De Montfort) ... and i need to make a pasta dish for when they get back! ... its over 2hours each way from me ... so (stick with me) ... Got me thinking of "Bourrée "De Montford" from the youtube playing of Marinette Bonnert & Stephan "Stoney" Steiner who are both melodeon gods to me!...So .. back to the pasta .. 2nd tune .... "Spaghetti Panic"  what else!

So here is my quick attempt of both .. but more importantly i got my lovely LOFFET AD back out of the box to play them! :||:
Thanks for your support and advice.

http://soundcloud.com/dtn-1/bourr-e-de-montford-spaghetti

Cheers Derek

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 01:40:33 PM »

Del,

What do you mean, get a box out?  I've never got into your place without tripping over a couple!

You could always come and play with HEMM...  We have an invite to join Kennet at the 20th birthday party for the Hogsback Brewery coming up soon!  I can give you a lift so you can follow your natural tendencies - at a brewery that doesn't even require a suspender belt.  We had a gig at Bramshill College last night - free food and drink and an opportunity to bad-mouth senior coppers to their faces!

Give us a bell sometime,

Rob2

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 02:24:22 PM »

The urge will return, I get the similar ebbs and flow with my desire to dress in female apparel.

Gary, does this mean that instead of getting your box out, you are coming out of it?
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »

There was a suggestion a while back on Facebook, that you and I should get a trio together with Simon Ritchie. That should give you something to think about.  ;)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 03:14:37 PM »

There was a suggestion a while back on Facebook, that you and I should get a trio together with Simon Ritchie. That should give you something to think about.  ;)

Now that I would like to hear.  8)
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 03:29:09 PM »

That sounds like an interesting project! ... I'm in! ;D

Jinkers1

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »

That Loffet A/D sounds fantastic!  I just got my old Castagnari Rik A/D/G back after several years absence and am really enjoying having the A row and chords.  BTW, this is the same box you played when you were visiting Shepherdstown, WV with Hook Eagle a dozen or so years ago.  Welcome back!

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 10:40:53 AM »

That sounds like an interesting project! ... I'm in! ;D
I'd like to hear the result. ;)

paulq

• Good talker
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »

OK.... I put my original status up because i simply got lazy .. couldn't be bothered to get the box out ..I hoped someone would reply and just tell me i'm stupid (often done)  .. so reading the replys this morning made me realise i am being stupid!... so i got thinking ... Wife and daughter have gone out for the day! ... To visit Leicester University  (De Montfort) ... and i need to make a pasta dish for when they get back! ... its over 2hours each way from me ... so (stick with me) ... Got me thinking of "Bourrée "De Montford" from the youtube playing of Marinette Bonnert & Stephan "Stoney" Steiner who are both melodeon gods to me!...So .. back to the pasta .. 2nd tune .... "Spaghetti Panic"  what else!

So here is my quick attempt of both .. but more importantly i got my lovely LOFFET AD back out of the box to play them! :||:
Thanks for your support and advice.

http://soundcloud.com/dtn-1/bourr-e-de-montford-spaghetti

Cheers Derek

Wow. Love the Spaghetti Panic, been learning this recently and I like especially the way you start it in that set - it's kind of a brutal tune to just plunge straight into so the chord vamping works really well. Also the first tune is fab, if it's OK I'll learn as a matching pair meself. There you go, you're not just getting your melodeon out of the box, you're inspiring others too.

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 04:07:47 PM »

Get your box out for the lads!
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 05:24:06 PM »

Not wanting to get off track, but thanks to everyone who is using Soundcloud, the MP4's are super compared to cutting the audio tracks out of YouTubes.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

deltasalmon

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 06:24:41 PM »

Not wanting to get off track, but thanks to everyone who is using Soundcloud, the MP4's are super compared to cutting the audio tracks out of YouTubes.

Agreed. I'm also just a big fan in general of soundcloud. They make it very easy to record tracks and post them.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal