Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Never ever borrow or lend a box  (Read 8947 times)

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
Never ever borrow or lend a box
« on: September 29, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »

This topic may have been covered before. Here's some advice from an old boy. Never ever ask if you can borrow some ones melodeon,we're a lovely crowd and almost invariably say yes. DON'T.
 Example 1. The Ring O' Bells at St Issey 1972 and Bob Cann lived just up the road. There he was in the pub and I said "Bob, can I have a play of your box" Yes was the reply and I had a go, and then a reed broke! He was very gracious about it, it would have broken anyway but there was always that doubt that I caused it.
Example 2. Sidmouth Folk Festival 1976. Some one had the great idea of helping Sid reach the sea, Sid being the river. Removing stones etc. NO CHANCE.  A certain person came up to me and said " Nick, can I borrow
 your box? " I can't tell you his name bur his mother was called Mrs. T. Reynolds. " we are just going to do a quick Morris in the river" Oh great, he took two steps forward and went head first into the Sid, my box preceding him. It was clapped out and I nailed it to my garden fence where it stayed for thirty years..
So take heed. If anybody asks " may I  borrow your Dino Baffetti"  The answer will probably be yes but just sign here and read the small print!
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
Re: Never ever borrow or lend a box
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 09:26:08 AM »

I was one of the musicians for that Morris in the river in 1976, and so was Rees (of this parish) I think.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »

Brian, therefore we must have had a pint together. How did the box stand up?
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 11:35:07 AM »

In 1988 I was in a club in Crowley, Louisiana watching the Sheryl Cormier Cajun band. Word went round that there was a box playing stranger in the house so Sheryl asked to me to play a few tunes with her band. Half way through the Bosco Stomp I pulled the end off her accordion! Admittedly it was an accident waiting to happen as her husband Russell had used matchsticks in the screw holes but still embarrassing nonetheless. She's still my friend  (:)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 12:40:06 PM »

Brian, therefore we must have had a pint together. How did the box stand up?

I am sure we did, but it wasn't my box that went in.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 12:45:54 PM »

Oooo-er ::) I "lent" my Lilly to daughter Dolly last weekend .. I don't expect it back

Enjoyed Rees's experience of "pulling" above. Clearly innocently (especially after what happened)!  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 01:49:55 PM »

It's one of the consequences of MAD that there are always a couple of your boxes on loan to people who are trying to learn.  Trouble is, they always ask for your favourite spare, I guess because they have seen and heard them.  Why can't they borrow the ones in other keys, C/F, Bb/Eb, etc?  Yesterday I discovered one of mine had moved from the person I lent it to to another home - suppose I'll have to find out why and start recovery actions!

I was just thinking of reclaiming my HA114C with a view to selling it when the current keeper told me how much he was emjoying it.  Bearing in mind how many people borrow one and then don't admit they haven't really used it, that put paid to that plan.

One guy borrowed a box at a session and pulled the bass strap off, but all these breakages would have happened had I been using it, so unless it involves water sports, just get on and fix it.

Rob.

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 02:45:45 PM »

Yesterday I discovered one of mine had moved from the person I lent it to to another home - suppose I'll have to find out why and start recovery actions!

That`s so out of order it`s unreal ! . you lend someone a box and then they lend it on to someone else !

I was just thinking of reclaiming my HA114C with a view to selling it when the current keeper told me how much he was enjoying it.

Well you know who to sell it to !! . the free hire term is over - time to buy  >:E ..

One guy borrowed a box at a session and pulled the bass strap off, but all these breakages would have happened had I been using it, so unless it involves water sports, just get on and fix it.

Same here . also there are boxes you`d lend * and ones you`d not even let others play - if the Zupan was to emit the Helikon Death Clunk (reed breakages of those things is rather dramatic) , I`d rather it was in my hands .

* not always the old scruffy ones, it`d take some real abuse to kill a Baffetti black pearl but a much loved old Hohner with hard to get zinc reeds like a liliput could be another story.
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

LDbosca

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 04:09:22 PM »

" we are just going to do a quick Morris in the river"

Might this be a little bit your fault too for agreeing to this?

AnnC

• Succumbing to MAD 😊
  • Respected Sage
  • Forget the tea, just pass me a large Gin 🍸
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 04:43:21 PM »

(:) a friend lent me her spare pokerwork for Whitby Folk Week ( my melodeon's a GC and a DG was needed for the workshops) and I was quite paranoid about keeping it safe, taking taxis to and from workshops so it wasn't out of the house for any longer than it needed to be  :|||: (:)

... returned safely to owner at the end of the festival so I'll be able to to borrow it again ..... unless a case of MAD occurs and a DG joins the elderly Austrian  ;D :|||:

......that would make it 2 concertinas, 1 PA, 1 Appalacian dulcimer and 2 melodeons + red chinese toy one ...... the start of IAD (instrument acquisition disease) perhaps?
On the bracing North Yorkshire Coast :D

You hum it pet.......I'll play it......but not necessarily in the same key 🎶😊
 3 lovely Liliputs, a Preciosa, a Pokerwork & a C/G Anglo concertina :D

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 05:52:44 PM »

I borrowed a box for the Millrace Festival in Cambridge, ON last year (Hohner 4 stop 1 row in C). I'm hoping the kind lady who lent it to me will be able to do so again next year - she'd better not be reading this thread. It was returned unblemished as far as I know.
(we also borrowed a cello and a banjo...)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 06:25:25 PM »

I spent a month on leave  in New Zealand 3 years ago. A young whipper-snapper called Tim van Eyken borrowed my Oakwood at every folk club on South Island! And he played it better than me! Though he didn't look so smug .. when his fingers wandered onto the C# row  >:E

_       _    _      _ 

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 06:28:02 PM »

LOL !!!!!! . Expecting an A row (as you would)

mory

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 06:31:37 PM »

By the same token never leave your box or concertina with a repairman. An old boy (80) who I teach a bit, left a Wheatstone Anglo with Tommy Williams for repair and when the poor old sod heard Tommy had died he went to give his condolances and to retrieve his tina only to be told the lot had been bought by a dealer (possibly from Birmingham) any one know who? AtB mory

AirTime

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 06:40:54 PM »

Yeah, but what about all the GOOD that's been done by the lending of a box?!  (:)
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »

Once borrowed (due to my own box breaking) a Dino Baffetti in Sidmouth some time ago from the very, very nice man that is John Turner of the Music room ....
Lent a Saltarelle Connemara 3 to Jimbo ... prob about 5 years ago!... never seen it since  :o  but he does make a nice sound come out of it!!   :|||:

DTN
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Andy Simpson

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 08:08:52 PM »

Chances are that I'm going to be out of the country for quite some time next year and probably won't be able to take my boxes with me. Any volunteers to look after my Bergflodt?. ;D

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 08:16:31 PM »

they`ll have to get a time machine first - it arrives in 2003 by your tagline  ::) ..

Anyway when you get back and ask "Where`s my Bergflodt" and they say "Sorry mate, Bert Flogged it" you`ll know not to lend esoteric Norwegian melodeons to unscrupulous melnetters in future  :-[

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »

Can anyone lend me a nice old grey paolo in B/C tuning for a few months, I promise to look after it really well,really, really well.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 12:17:38 AM »

Chances are that I'm going to be out of the country for quite some time next year and probably won't be able to take my boxes with me. Any volunteers to look after my Bergflodt?. ;D

YES.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal