Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Many Players ?  (Read 4843 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Re: How Many Players ?
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »

Me & chums were at Ingleton FF last w/end, plenty button  boxes there from both near & far

I was there in the session in the Wheatsheaf on Sunday.

Yes, there are a few melodeon players in that area, but none of them come from Wensleydale or Swaledale, which was the point I made.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Mr Happy

• Regular debater
  • Delicia D/G, Saltarelle ADG, Hohner Corona ADG
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 04:26:46 PM »

Couldn't get in Wheatsheaf sesh, but weather too good to miss had fab sesh in beer garden in warm sun!

Mr Happy

• Regular debater
  • Delicia D/G, Saltarelle ADG, Hohner Corona ADG
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 04:33:29 PM »

However [apols. thread drift] perhaps if we each added numbers of players we know of from our respective areas, estimates/ extrapolations could be made?

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2012, 09:40:57 AM »

But melodeonistas 'migrate'.  Some may only roost their own local session, others flit to and from the next town. Like John I've been up to Bob's do's up in Ingleton, even as far as Byker's famous Cumberland Arms .. (great session with 2 parishioners from here). We are rather like the Wild Geese of the famous song :-\

So I think RSPB methods become applicable, and that's what I was alluding to in my reference to the melnet badge earlier. Ornithologists ring the critters  :o recapture them  in various sites (which could be in central Finland*)  take the ring numbers and use statistics to estimate population and movement patterns. It's actually quite accurate!

So as my first contribution to melodeornithology .. how about us each asking local sessioners how often they'd got to Whitchurch, or the EATMT melodeon day in the past 3 years importantly "and has anyone else asked you?". Count the melodeons in the sessions, check out the numbers at the big events - if we're really lucky we might even get a list of their postcodes  :P

Bob isn't quite yet your mother's brother .. but it's a good start. I've noticed another PhD Professor has recently joined the group (hi Steve :D) - these guys'll have the maths to make it into a decent census.

Otherwise there's always the RSPB  :|glug
*Bin there too  ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »

Just musing as one does on a Saturday morning, or not as the case may be.
Anyone interested in the Guinness book of records? Namely the  biggest number of melodeon players ever assembled. Albert Hall anyone or a tiny room over a pub?
I'll bet us lot could fill the Albert Hall!
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »

.. or empty it?  >:E
  _       _    _      _ 

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 03:08:27 PM »

I have an anorak somewhere! Is there a breed of people that hang out at folk events taking pictures and notes. We could utilize The Melodeon Spotters!

Perhaps each new melodeon could be fitted with a GPS device or an RFID and we can track them to make sure they don't cluster into a mob!

Perhaps in the next census there should be some questions about melodeon ownership, although some may not own up!
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 03:18:25 PM »

I am constantly surprised by people who contact me about melodeon repairs and tuning who don't belong to melnet, and aren't connected to the folky world, but are happily just doing their own thing, sometimes alone, sometimes with friends.  So I think any sort of sampling exercise is only likely to be estimating a lower limit to the number of players out there.  A census question would be good, but I can't see it happening. ::)
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 04:34:53 PM »

a GPS device

That'll be a Pastourelle II, then.....? ;D 

Graham

(My Melnet ID is GPS because they happen to be my initials, in case anyone was wondering).

Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 05:39:36 PM »

This is quite a dangerous thing.
I was at a certain wedding in Finsbury Town Hall, many years ago. Several bands were there including Flowers and Frolics. We were all on the stage. There must have been at least 20 melodeon players and no leader/ conductor the " music" got so out of hand ,I decided to play "Marching through Georgia"  to every tune
AND nobody noticed.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal