Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bell Accordions  (Read 14476 times)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
Re: Bell Accordions
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 10:40:27 AM »

For twenty eight of your Scottish quids only! Somebody's got a bargain.  :D
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

pgroff

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 03:57:52 PM »

Re the above, this item, currently on ebay, may be of interest.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-Row-Button-Accordion-with-12-Bass-Shoulder-Strap-/300743824309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4605ba93b5

Hi all,

I contacted Mike about this brown Bell C/F box and he confirmed he wouldn't be bidding.  I did get it -- thanks Mike!  It turned out to reek of stale beer (but who am I to throw stones?) and may need a lot of attention to the action and pallets, but it's a very interesting accordion.  I'm not sure it was originally in C/F -- if so why would some of the basses/chords be C#/G#?  Maybe it was a C/C# or C#/D and someone swapped out the Irish (or British Chromatic) style melody reeds.  But the C/F reeds that are in it are decent and I'm hoping it will come back together as a playing accordion.  Will post some pics here, showing its Bell Accordion label as compared to another box sold or serviced by Bell, a lovely double-ray deluxe (ca. late 1950s or early 1960s?). 

Also will post a pic comparing this brown Bell with a mysterious blue 4-voice box that was found on a back shelf in the final years of Tosi Music, an important accordion dealer for many years in Boston's North End.  See this thread:

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,5861.0.html

PG
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 04:03:13 PM by pgroff »

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 12:55:04 AM »

Just imagine the excitement . Way before online purchases, to take the train up from Bournemouth to Surbiton and walk into that wonderful showroom where there were all those amazing machines that you couldn't afford. Walking away with a D/G polka work Hohner having parted with 67 Quid and not being able to resist the temptation to play it (Badly) on the train back again, AND collecting two quid from passengers for my effort. That was 1970.
Years later I returned to buy a Paolo Soprani, I'd grown up and the excitement was never the same.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

reelkidmusic

• Good talker
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2012, 08:43:31 AM »

I'm just going to add a Bell's story!

I play at a monthly session with an accordion player who bought a second hand dark grey Paolo from Bell's in July 1962.  He said he had spent months going up every weekend trying out the accordions until finally this particular one showed up.  He mentioned that there were two floors in the shop, 2nd hand downstairs and new stuff was upstairs.  He even has the receipt from the shop when he bought it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal