Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Assessing reed response  (Read 1567 times)

TomB-R

Assessing reed response
« on: November 13, 2008, 10:50:02 AM »

I put new reeds in a little old grey Double Ray.  Lots was learned along the way (I think,) and I was very chuffed to find the thing playable!  After that initial excitement I found whilst playing that the speed of response felt just a bit uneven.

Okay, next learning stage, that's fine, but how to measure or assess the unevenness?

What seemed to work was playing repeated notes, two fingers on a button as fast as possible, press or draw.
On most buttons I found I could get a nice fast "stutter" and doing this seemed to highlight the slow ones quite nicely.

Is this a good method or are there better ways? Is it likely to be leading me astray in any way?
Cheers
Tom

RGF

• Regular debater
Re: Assessing reed response
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 03:01:56 PM »

I've got in the habit of taking a two-part approach for each individual reed. First, I will press the button and then very gently begin to draw (or compress) the bellows. In a quite room, with my ear towards the box, I listen for audible "breath sounds" that might occur before the reed starts to sound. If this is the case, I lower the reed tongue a bit towards the plate to get it to sound sooner. Part two is to apply a fairly good pull on the bellows, and then attack the button -- if it chokes, or does not sound, I raise the reed tongue a bit higher relative to the plate so it doesn't get sucked down into the aperture and freeze there. Someplace in the middle there is (usually) a position that will somewhat satisfy both tests.

Maybe not ideally "zeroed in" for a certain style of playing, i.e. mostly loud or mostly quiet, but it seems to work for me. Bear in mind that I'm a beginner at this, and better advice might come along any instant!

Bob in Minnesota

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
Re: Assessing reed response
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:54:08 PM »

Spot on description Bob. It takes a bit of practice to find that sweet spot and quite a lot of time and patience.

You do need peace and quiet though and take extra care with the smaller reeds
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal