Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: old please delete  (Read 3258 times)

Winterisle

• New Starter
old please delete
« on: October 09, 2012, 06:26:55 PM »

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:32:03 AM by Winterisle »

pgroff

Re: Serenelli in old box found, cannot find any info on
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 07:07:56 PM »

Hi,

Yes, it's an Italian-made button accordion.

I have one of these in G/G# and have seen a couple more in recent years (some with 8 basses), I think mostly listed for re-sale from Australia and New Zealand. I suppose they must be 50 years old or more.  Larger than normal distance between the two rows of melody buttons on the ones I've seen.  Insufficiently large air-pallet hole.  But worth restoring and tweaking to play better IMO.

PG

Winterisle

• New Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 07:12:42 PM »

Excellent! Thank you PG, yes I am in Australia and that's where it was found. I am looking for somewhere local to take it to see if it needs any repair etc. Thanks again  :)

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 10:28:48 PM »

It seems strange that these old Italian boxes are so common in the Antipodes. Someone showed me a similar vintage Serenelli C/F 8 bass in red that they hoped could easily be modified to B/C. I didn't think it would be worth the hassle, but what do others think about such a project on a Serenelli in good playing condition.

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 02:31:19 PM »

Of these small 1950s (?) 2 voice Italian boxes so often found in Australia and NZ, and having had quite a few through my hands, I would rate the Serenelli as superior in build quality to the equivalent Scandalli, Settimio Soprani and Frontalini models, but not as good as the Busilacchio (or, needless to say, Paolo Soprani) brands. Probably about the same quality as Casali.

Of course, just one man's opinion....

Aaron, whereabouts are you? Will pm you in case I can help.

Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 12:11:30 AM »

Serenellini state that they were founded in 1978, so unless someone else was using the name ...

edited: typo

pgroff

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 12:25:53 AM »

Serenellini state that they were founded in 1978, so unless someone else was using the name ...

Hi Andrew,

This is a confusion that has come up before. The box in question is a Serenelli.  That is a family-named business that goes back to early 1900s if not earlier.  I once had a lovely early-20th-century Serenelli piano accordion that resembled some of the earliest Dallape and Paolo Soprani piano accordions (flat hand-worked metal grille, pearl-inlaid wood marquetry casework, small ivoroid and ebony keys,  bone bass buttons, etc).  Then these mid-20th century boxes, also labeled Serenelli as discussed above, are fairly common.  Malcolm Clapp wrote me that he has seen S Renelli or S E Renelli boxes, and Malcolm knows his stuff so I assume these were not simply SERENELLI boxes with letters missing or misread.  Maybe those were other names that were tried by competitors of Serenelli or even by the firm itself. 

Serenellini is a name that has been used only more recently.

PG
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:28:21 AM by pgroff »

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 12:46:10 AM »

Hi Andrew,

This is a confusion that has come up before. The box in question is a Serenelli.  That is a family-named business that goes back to early 1900s if not earlier.  I once had a lovely early-20th-century Serenelli piano accordion that resembled some of the earliest Dallape and Paolo Soprani piano accordions (flat hand-worked metal grille, pearl-inlaid wood marquetry casework, small ivoroid and ebony keys,  bone bass buttons, etc).  Then these mid-20th century boxes, also labeled Serenelli as discussed above, are fairly common.  Malcolm Clapp wrote me that he has seen S Renelli or S E Renelli boxes, and Malcolm knows his stuff so I assume these were not simply SERENELLI boxes with letters missing or misread.  Maybe those were other names that were tried by competitors of Serenelli or even by the firm itself. 

Serenellini is a name that has been used only more recently.

PG

Heh, I shouldn't be skimming through forums whilst getting bored renewing server certs late at night ... ah well  ::)

You're right, "Serenelli", I've seen one or two around in the past.

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 07:37:33 AM »

And to further confuse matters, the Serenelli name has recently been used on a line of cheap(ish) Chinese made melodeons....  :-)
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 07:48:08 AM »

I was amazed to see a 1930s Scarlatti PA (definately not Chinese) so quite a few of these italian names once were used in their homeland , much the same way that once hi-end German and Japanese camera names such as Rollei and Yashica are used on chinese garbage cameras and once respected British names such as HMV, Bush, Ferguson etc are now used on chinese garbage consumer electronics... Rollei was the saddest downfall of a name when you look at the rubbish the name appears on now compared to the Classic TLRs they once graced.

Thankfully the Italians have managed to keep most of the classic names within the country and didn`t sell Scandalli, Settimio Soprani, Crucianelli etc names to the Chinese badging companies.
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal