Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Irish boxes from Pietro Mario...  (Read 7968 times)

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
New Irish boxes from Pietro Mario...
« on: November 14, 2008, 09:10:26 PM »

Seems to be a new brand on the block for Irish boxplayers - Pietro Mario.

Website states they are manufactured by Bompezzo Giampaolo, who I think also make Stelvio (check out the 'Kerry' model) and Parigi brand accordions. Two core diatonic models, 2 voice or 3 voice, with a variety of reed options. Only mentions B/C tuning  ::), but says custom orders are welcome...

Look a decent enough machine... R/H buttons seem comparitively small to me, but I 'spose they could fit bigger ones easily enough...

Ed J
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 09:20:50 PM by EeeJay »

upmine3

• Regular debater
    • Facebook
Re: New Irish boxes from Pietro Mario...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 09:28:25 PM »

What a design rip off they are exactly the same as the Castagnari Kriss III unless Castagnari gave permission.
Castagnari Kriss III B/C -  Hohner Double Ray De-Lux B/C Pokerwork (presswood) Pokerwork (Brown)

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 10:49:22 PM »

What a design rip off they are exactly the same as the Castagnari Kriss III unless Castagnari gave permission.

Bit harsh that. Can't say I'd agree either...

Using the same logic, isn't the Ciacy a rip off of the Irish Bouebe?  ???

Kriss is a nice enough box, but it's clearly taken design stylings off its peers and predecessors... Remember, Castagnari was a bit of a latecomer with specifically Irish models...

23 keys, recessed basses, curved grille - same as the Verde Cordoba really, and several others I could mention...

Ed J

upmine3

• Regular debater
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 11:07:22 PM »

A bit harsh maybe but lets get one thing straight here. Melodeons are an expensive instrument/Hobby/Addiction. So when you're forking out a lot of cash for a high end box you want something special. Now when you've got these high end instruments being made you expect them to have their own identity and originality and definetly their own sound. I mean if these instruments are an improvement over the Kriss then i'm all for it a bit like the Serenellini Cloud transormed into the Saltarelle Nuage with all it's add ons and such. Well lets see shall we i notice there's no price on the website i hate that what have you got to hide?
Let's compare:
Kriss III: http://www.buttonbox.com/images/abn1010b.jpg
Pietro Mario: http://www.pietromario.ie/models.html
Castagnari Kriss III B/C -  Hohner Double Ray De-Lux B/C Pokerwork (presswood) Pokerwork (Brown)

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 12:13:25 AM »

Let's compare:
Kriss III: http://www.buttonbox.com/images/abn1010b.jpg
Pietro Mario: http://www.pietromario.ie/models.html

In actual fact, the Stelvio Kerry predates the Kriss by several years - Pietro Mario seems to be a slightly revised Bompezzo clone (note position of bellows pins, grille/body 'scallop', etc.)...

I've tried a Stelvio Kerry (few years back now) - 'twas rather a nice box...  ;D

Ed J
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:01:59 PM by EeeJay »

finnhorse

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 02:05:14 AM »

I'd love to try one, flat keyboard and all.   ;D 

So what if it bears resemblance to the Kriss? (*admittedly, I haven't played one). 

The more competition in the high-end box market the better, I think.  And even if it doesn't amount to competition in the price tag then at least we get a wider array of boxes to choose from.  Although personally I think it would nicely with black pearl buttons instead of white.. 

upmine3

• Regular debater
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 03:41:15 AM »

So what if it bears resemblance to the Kriss? (*admittedly, I haven't played one).

The more competition in the high-end box market the better, I think.  And even if it doesn't amount to competition in the price tag then at least we get a wider array of boxes to choose from.  Although personally I think it would nicely with black pearl buttons instead of white..

Yes as you say my friend but would you buy a Volkswagon Golf that was exactly the same on the outside as a Ford Focus just for a different interior?

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 12:58:46 PM »

[Hobby horse]If Pietro Mario are really designing specifically for Irish musicians, why don't they use a longer inside row? The designers of the Stelvio Kerry had that figured out...[/hobby horse]

As for the outer resemblance to other boxes.... ??? They wouldn't be mistaken for each other, and to use your car-buying analogy, the insides would be much more important to me than the appearance. Ah - perhaps you'd like a different colour, upmine? ;)

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 02:55:35 PM »

[Hobby horse]If Pietro Mario are really designing specifically for Irish musicians, why don't they use a longer inside row? The designers of the Stelvio Kerry had that figured out...[/hobby horse]

As far as I can tell, I reckon they are essentially the same machine. Like it says, PM will do custom orders - so I'd assume a longer inner row is not a problem...

would you buy a Volkswagon Golf that was exactly the same on the outside as a Ford Focus just for a different interior?

If the interior is better, and improves upon the whole design, where's the problem?  ???

There are other boxes - take the Excelsior Bilbo for example, and several Lilly clones - that definitely imitate Castagnaris a lot closer. But are these any lesser instruments for that?

I recently tried a Bilbo against a Tommy (both D/Gs) - IMHO, the Casti came close second... :o

Ed J
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal