Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Melnet Album (possibly iTunes)?  (Read 9463 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Melnet Album (possibly iTunes)?
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 01:21:45 PM »

Let's see what others say, but a CD implicitly involves selection and we have at least one member who could fill it twice over in a month ;) 

Good music often 'evolves' in response to feedback (explicit  or otherwise) from others.  The massive (50+) Chavanée group must average a 'new' tune each in a year. Most of these have quite a brief existence. A few go on to become classics. I think the same actually applies to arrangements/styles/reinterpretations and there is actually a lot of musical DNA being recombined here.

IMHO melnet has become another 'cultural hot spot'  :|glug

_       _    _      _ 

Andrew Shead

• Good talker
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 02:48:05 AM »

Isn't this what we already have?

Yes and no: Yes, a themed collection exists on the Melnet forum, linked to YouTube or elsewhere; and no, Melnet doesn't have the kind of collection afforded by a Melnet group on SoundCloud from which users can download tracks to build their own mix. As another post said, the traditional distribution of music has changed; now people pick-n-choose the tracks they like to build their own mix of music.

I see the SoundCloud group as an adjunct to the Theme-Of-The-Month, where a contributor uploads to the dropbox a good quality recording of a performance, Listeners then choose which ones to download. In this way the editing process is a matter of personal choice instead of being imposed by a third-party with whom not everyone will agree.

SoundCloud has the potential to enhance the Melnet experience. Also, SoundCloud statistics will add an interesting dimension in terms of what are popular downloads. And who needs another CD to add to their  "compact" disk collection? Recorded music now seems to reside on smart-phones, digital players, and computers.
Primo D/G Scholar.

Tunes executed: any instrument convenient as a gallows.

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 12:08:25 PM »

I think my take on the Soundcloud idea is that it would be a free choice of song - perhaps you have recorded something you like, of which you are particularly proud.  It doesn't fit in with TOTM or ThOTM, but you want to get it "out there" to see what people think of it.  So it would be a sort of organic "Best of Melnet".  I like that idea.

Obviously TOTM and ThOTM are irreplacable, as far as workshopping a particular tune or group of tunes goes, but Soundcloud would be a good resource for us to show outsiders and each other what Melnet is all about, and also an automatic playlist for me to listen to at work.  :D
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 12:51:35 PM »

I think my take on the Soundcloud idea is that it would be a free choice of song - perhaps you have recorded something you like, of which you are particularly proud.  It doesn't fit in with TOTM or ThOTM, but you want to get it "out there" to see what people think of it.  So it would be a sort of organic "Best of Melnet".  I like that idea.

Obviously TOTM and ThOTM are irreplacable, as far as workshopping a particular tune or group of tunes goes, but Soundcloud would be a good resource for us to show outsiders and each other what Melnet is all about, and also an automatic playlist for me to listen to at work.  :D

Now that does sound like a good plan........
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 12:55:04 PM »

Which is one of the reasons why we have this "recordings and videos" section.   Members already use it as a way of showcasing their recordings,  the recent post by Martin Ellison being a good example. 
So it would be a sort of organic "Best of Melnet".  I like that idea.
Which kind of gets us back to the question of who decides on what is "best"
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Graham Spencer

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 12:59:59 PM »

Which is one of the reasons why we have this "recordings and videos" section.   Members already use it as a way of showcasing their recordings,  the recent post by Martin Ellison being a good example. 

Well, sort of....maybe "Best Of" isn't the most appropriate title, but the principle seems pretty sound.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 01:12:07 PM »

The users!
Anyone can upload, and anyone can choose what they download in to their personal favourites collection.

I agree that the recordings and videos section more or less does that job already, except that possibly a more compact table of links with only essential information (who, what, link) without any attached discussion would be useful.

Alternatively, the "best of" scoring could be done in the same way it is on YouTube and elsewhere - every melnet member has a "like" vote per recording and you count the votes; then someone compiling a collection can list them ordered by number of votes and choose from the most popular. Not perfect but it means no individual has to take responsibility for making what's always going to be a subjective judgement.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 01:21:28 PM »

More or less what I envisaged - if this is going to be a recreational facility - or source of good playing style - some sort of guidance would surely be valuable in a set of (probably) 1000 or so recordings?  A 'like' count could do it. 

I suspect an 'unlike' button might adversely affect the esprit de corps melodeonista  .. though, I s'ppose we could get Simon Cowell to comment?  >:E
  _       _    _      _ 

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 01:59:16 PM »

Heh, this is sounding like it's turning into a Melnet version of X Factor. 

Okay, yes there has to be an editorial component, but as Anahata points out, firstly the uploader makes the decision to upload, and secondly, the listeners have the option to add a "like" to it.  And the other point to make is that if recordings are being added, then we have volumes 2, 3, 4 etc. etc.  Now That's What I Call Melodeon to infinity.  This is not a bad thing.

And yes, there is a recordings section, but this site does not host, whereas Soundcloud does.  In the same way that Melnetters upload a video to YouTube and post the link here, I would imagine that people would upload a tune to Soundcloud, put it in the Melodeon.Net Group there (is there one yet?) and post a link on the forum under Recordings for people to go and have a listen to.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »

How about everyone uploads their favourite recording onto Soundcloud? One track each, can't say fairer than that.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Graham Spencer

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 02:19:28 PM »

Heh, this is sounding like it's turning into a Melnet version of X Factor. 

Strictly Come Squeezing...

Jinkers1

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 03:19:48 PM »

I guess what's confusing me is this - now that the original idea of an album has apparently morphed into people uploading sound files into Soundcloud (which they already do), what is the advantage, if any, over the existing forum (as pointed out by Theo)?  Or is this becoming just another project to organize?  And another question - if an album is no longer part of the plan, then why audio files versus videos?  I always find the videos much more interesting and instructive than just the audio alone.

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »

Well, it doesn't really need organising other than a Soundcloud group making.  People upload their own tunes as they please.  If it takes off it does, if it doesn't it doesn't.

There's a big advantage for me in that I can listen to Soundcloud at work but I can't watch YouTube.  But I admit that's not likely to be a big plus for most people. The big difference is that you can group a whole lot of things together into a playlist and just press "play" which you can't do with forum links.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Jinkers1

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 04:53:52 PM »

Strig-

Good point on the playlist, I use the videos more for learning and the idea of a playlist to listen to for entertainment sort of slipped right past me...   :P

I'm a quasi-luddite in the sense that I almost never listen to recorded music for entertainment or recreation - even though I have a pretty good-sized collection of it!

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 05:14:35 PM »

That was sort of my point I suppose.  Videos are great for people wanting to be melodeonists, but how about people who don't know they want to be melodeonists yet?  I suppose my target market for this was for people who might hear a melnetter play somewhere and want to hear some recordings, or perhaps they just randomly surf for a nice tune or style of music to listen to. 

I think because squeezing is such fun in and of itself, we do sometimes forget that the listening and the dancing to is what it's actually all about.  :D
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Graham Spencer

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 05:22:31 PM »

That was sort of my point I suppose.  Videos are great for people wanting to be melodeonists, but how about people who don't know they want to be melodeonists yet?  I suppose my target market for this was for people who might hear a melnetter play somewhere and want to hear some recordings, or perhaps they just randomly surf for a nice tune or style of music to listen to. 

I think because squeezing is such fun in and of itself, we do sometimes forget that the listening and the dancing to is what it's actually all about.  :D

I absolutely agree.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 09:48:13 AM »

My issue is...I don't think I could choose anything I've recorded unbiasedly. I always think I don't sound good enough.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 10:50:35 AM »

Rubbish - you've made massive progress in the short time I've watched your stuff.

Well into "competence" and getting better all the time  :Ph
  _       _    _      _ 

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2012, 10:57:26 AM »

I would be happy to contribute,
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 11:02:41 AM »

Rubbish - you've made massive progress in the short time I've watched your stuff.

Well into "competence" and getting better all the time  :Ph
I can hear *every* mistake I make in recordings...and cringe every time I hear them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal