Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: M@W music  (Read 6816 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: M@W music
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 07:06:12 PM »

But all the music is printed sideways. Do we have to play it lying down?
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 07:08:19 PM »

YIPPEEEEEE! I am thrilled to bits we will be doing 'To the Edges'. I love it and have wanted to learn how to play it. Mind you it's not a beginner piece, is it? If I can get my head...not to mention my fingers...round it I will be a very happy woman indeed!

Erm, le canal en Octobre?   L'encanneau? (sp?)  Oyster Girl ?  Old Tom of Oxford (I get tied up with this one) ?I don't actually play many session tunes..I can't noodle 'em on box as with my fiddle. Your list is fine Liz, I can fiddle 'em but can't play them on box. Oh! Mount Hills?  Ring o' `Bells? erm the one that goes with it...something like Hammers of something-witch?

I LOVE to go to an English session but they are few and far between, hence my total lack in this area! Hoping you can help me remedy that perhaps........
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 07:13:17 PM »

I LOVE to go to an English session but they are few and far between, hence my total lack in this area! Hoping you can help me remedy that perhaps........
Wot? Is there nothing in King's Lynn Lynne?
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

oread_uk

• Regular debater
  • Baffetti/Oakwood SuperII D/G; Manfrini 3 voice D/G
    • Music related blog
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 07:19:08 PM »

Just stand your laptop sideways  >:E

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »

But I'm using a 27" iMac.

Rob Phillips

• Good talker
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 07:31:02 PM »

Doesn't work with an iPad. Every time I turn it sideways the music rotates......

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 07:36:50 PM »

Just in case we are not all taking the micky

On-line PDF Rotator

Jinkers1

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 08:15:07 PM »

Doesn't work with an iPad. Every time I turn it sideways the music rotates......

Double-click your home button and swipe left to right past your home screen to access the rotation lock button.  My wife has the iPad today, but here's a screen capture of my iPhone with the rotation lock button in the lower left:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:21:59 PM by mglamb »

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 08:26:11 PM »

Double-click your home button and swipe left to right past your home screen to access the rotation lock button.  My wife has the iPad today, but here's a screen capture of my iPhone with the rotation lock button in the lower left:

Or; somewhere in settings, for the iPad, you can change the mute button on the side of the iPad to be a rotation lock button.

Jinkers1

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »

Or; somewhere in settings, for the iPad, you can change the mute button on the side of the iPad to be a rotation lock button.

Correct, the iPhone doesn't have that feature.

Rob Phillips

• Good talker
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 08:52:19 PM »

Correct, the iPhone doesn't have that feature.

Complete and utter thread drift, but I can play "Apples in Winter" on the D/G melodeon app for the iPad  --  albeit  very, very slowly

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »

Yes, mine's 'on the Huh' too (it's a Norfolk expression, I think, I'd never heard it til we moved here.) I shall just wait til the 'big computer upstairs' is back from the menders and print it all out. Which will be a complete waste of time anyway as I won't be looking at them. 8)
Steve, the only sessions within half an hour's drive are Irish/mixed bag. I've just started to go occasionally to a session near Norwich but in the wilds...a good hour away. I'm hoping to pick up a few tunes from there as it is mainly English tunes of all kinds, a really nice set-up, just a bit of a trek!
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2012, 04:22:08 PM »

Hey guys, isn't this thread supposed to be about M @ W music, or have I wandered into the wrong room?  ???

I have just been trying to work out how to play Christian Maes' tunes for B2 and C2 and have been puzzling over Valse de Morvan, which covers three entire octaves from a low F# to a high F#. I happen to have low notes going down as far as that low F# on my customised Benny, so I can play the tune as written (with difficulty!), but I suspect most people won't have those low notes so it will be interesting to see how other course members adapt the tune to get round this problem.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2012, 04:24:55 PM »

Hey guys, isn't this thread supposed to be about M @ W music, or have I wandered into the wrong room?  ???

I have just been trying to work out how to play Christian Maes' tunes for B2 and C2 and have been puzzling over Valse de Morvan, which covers three entire octaves from a low F# to a high F#. I happen to have low notes going down as far as that low F# on my customised Benny, so I can play the tune as written (with difficulty!), but I suspect most people won't have those low notes so it will be interesting to see how other course members adapt the tune to get round this problem.

Noticed that a lot of Christian's tunes need the low B that not everyone will have  ???

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »

I'm finding it very hard, as someone who is pathetically inept at reading music very effectively, to hear the actual tune to Christian Maes' La Crouzade, as it appears to be hidden in his recording behind a welter of ornaments.  It's a shame he didn't record something for numpties like me.  Que faire?
Steve from Wakefield

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2012, 04:56:20 PM »

I'm finding it very hard, as someone who is pathetically inept at reading music very effectively, to hear the actual tune to Christian Maes' La Crouzade, as it appears to be hidden in his recording behind a welter of ornaments.  It's a shame he didn't record something for numpties like me.  Que faire?

I've sent you a PM

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2012, 05:15:38 PM »

I agree that the tune is hard to decipher from the ornamnetation. I typed the notation into Personal Composer and played it back as a midi file, which I found much easier to follow. I would have added it to this post as an attachment, but I have just discovered that you can't attach midi files for some reason.  :o
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

oread_uk

• Regular debater
  • Baffetti/Oakwood SuperII D/G; Manfrini 3 voice D/G
    • Music related blog
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »

Ignore the below - think I've managed to fudge it....

Sorry - I'm not normally a computer numpty - but I am really struggling with these sound files.

I use a MacBook-  I've downloaded them as a 'linked file' as instructed.  Got them into a playlist - all good.  Then went to play them a minute ago and realised that I've simply set a link up to that file on the website, so every time I want to play them I have to put the password in.  I can't work out how to download the actual file into itunes, rather than the link, so that I can make a CD to listen to (repeatedly) in the car over the next two weeks  :o

I'm not as good with MacOS as with Windows but if anyone has managed to do it using MacOS and has an idea what I'm doing wrong, could you point me in the right direction.

Thanks.... (I'm really not as neurotic or stupid as I must come across on the Melnet forums... ::)  )

Liz
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:25:48 PM by oread_uk »

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2012, 05:23:44 PM »

I have just been trying to work out how to play Christian Maes' tunes for B2 and C2 and have been puzzling over Valse de Morvan, which covers three entire octaves from a low F# to a high F#. I happen to have low notes going down as far as that low F# on my customised Benny, so I can play the tune as written (with difficulty!), but I suspect most people won't have those low notes so it will be interesting to see how other course members adapt the tune to get round this problem.[/color]
Yes - for Valse de Morvan you need either a 4th button start box, or a 3rd button start with no chin-end accidentals, to get down to the low F# (F#, in ABC-speak). In the absence of these, I can suggest three compromises:
1. Substitute a D instead of the low F#,. So in the penultimate line, bar 4 becomes DA, DA, DF#.
2. Play the low F#, an octave higher instead: DA, F#A, DF#
3. Leave out the low F#, and substitute a crotchet low A: DA, A,4 DF#

Any of these three variants ought to work. (Haven't actually had a chance to try it myself on the instrument yet).
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2012, 05:32:17 PM »

Sorry - I'm not normally a computer numpty - but I am really struggling with these sound files.

I use a MacBook-  I've downloaded them as a 'linked file' as instructed.  Got them into a playlist - all good.  Then went to play them a minute ago and realised that I've simply set a link up to that file on the website, so every time I want to play them I have to put the password in.  I can't work out how to download the actual file into itunes, rather than the link, so that I can make a CD to listen to (repeatedly) in the car over the next two weeks  :o

I'm not as good with MacOS as with Windows but if anyone has managed to do it using MacOS and has an idea what I'm doing wrong, could you point me in the right direction.

Liz - I assume you are using a trackpad and not a mouse with your MacBook...
From the HoM web page with the tunes listed, hover your cursor over the mp3 file link and hold down the trackpad button - don't click it (which streams the file in a new window - not what you want). You should see a dialogue which gives you the option to 'download linked file'. Do that and save the file somewhere convenient. You will still need to enter the User ID and password first, but once the file is saved on your computer, you should be able to open it in iTunes or whatever.

If you've got a mouse which you can attach to your MacBook, then it's easier. Just hold the right-button over the file name and the 'download linked file' option should appear, as before.

The key thing with either option is to download and save the file on to your computer first, don't download it directly into iTunes.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:35:10 PM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal