Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A holiday in Recanati and Castelfidardo  (Read 7603 times)

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
A holiday in Recanati and Castelfidardo
« on: October 26, 2012, 07:05:45 AM »

As I am not sure how to write up/present my photos etc form my recent trip (I'm not a blogger) I thought I would start with this picture from the office at Castagnari.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
Re: A holiday in Recanati and Castelfidardo
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »

That's a good start, we'll look forward to more!

I just wonder how thick the cardboard in those bellows are?  Is there a weight restriction for those sitting on it?

Rob.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 03:37:23 PM »

Rob! You're as bad as Pikey!
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 03:38:28 PM »

No. Worse.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 03:52:11 PM »

I was wondering if the seat played more notes the heavier the sitter!!
More please ;) Bob
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Nick Collis Bird

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 04:19:21 PM »

No matter what you all say, it does look like solid Wall nut !

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 07:39:10 AM »

A couple more random pictures, the Castagnari tuning bench and a statue of Paolo Soprani that is outside the Accordion Museum in Castelfidardo.... more to come.

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 12:18:35 PM »

... and here is how we did it (family of five)
Ryan Air - Stanstead to Ancona Airport
Bus to Recanati (1 hr approx)
Stayed in The Gallery Hotel (beautiful and 5 mins. walk to Castagnari)
Trips to Loreto, Castelfidardo and Porto Recanati (seaside) on the bus. The buses (coach really) to/from Recanati are not that frequent, especially in the afternoon, but are cheap and stick to the timetable.
The weather was fine (late October), 20 in the day down to 14 in the evenings and very comfortable for walking around in.
It was a real joy to discover Recanati and the surrounding towns as it is a beautiful area and well worth a visit.
More later...if anyone ever wants more specific details, pm me.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 01:47:02 PM »

I love the way it's in "Rione Castelnuovo" - new citadel district - while the place looks like its brickwork* hasn't been re-pointed in 200 years! However one  could say the the same about the corresponding bit of "Newcastle/Tyne" ;) 

This is lovely, please keep it coming. (My sympathy about having had to fly Ryanair)  :P

[edit] whoops  - nice new mortar up that ginnel in picture number 2!  :|bl  I was referring to my visit long ago
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 01:49:24 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 02:53:18 PM »

Sorry Chris but its gotta be sad when you can remember the state of the brickwork at the end of some remote ginnel in an Italian town you`ve not visited for years  ::)
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 02:57:14 PM »

OK Chris,
when was this last re-pointed? (my favourite wall in Recanati and there are some very big ones!). Promise my next post will be more box related. Ryanair was ok, except when you arrive on time they play a fanfare. My sleeping 10 year old did not find it amusing (I did!).

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 03:18:03 PM »

Sorry Chris but its gotta be sad when you can remember the state of the brickwork at the end of some remote ginnel in an Italian town you`ve not visited for years  ::)

Dunno .. had you noticed the walls on all the Blowsabella covers, and Andy's solo album for that matter?  We were well struck by the paradox between "new" town and its generally crumbly architecture. Judging from Tim's pic above he's tuned in to similar aspects 

The other things I remember strongly were a tiny, tiny (2x8cm) F.Castagnari sign on the door, and that I should never again knock back two Adriatic caffè lungos in a row!  They looked tiny too (hence the second) but I was soon "all a tremble" ...
  _       _    _      _ 

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 03:29:22 PM »

I`d definately remember the tiny castagnari sign on the door . Very humble for a great Melodeon builder
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 11:36:14 PM »

... and here it is. Just above the buzzer on the rhs of the front door. I'll write up a bit more about the Castagnari visit tomorrow.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 11:42:27 PM »

That's not a tuning bench - more of a DIY harmonium!  What a wonderful piece of kit!

Rob.

KLR

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 01:34:22 AM »

How does it work?  I see the treadle, is that connected to a sprung bellows which we can't see?  So as you work the treadle up and down the rod pushes the bellows up and down providing a steady (we hope) stream of air to sound the reed.  The only kind I've ever seen is the bellows you lift by hand for testing, or kick up with the knee.  What I'm guessing is at work here would be a lot more convenient.  I've only seen a pair of repair setups though. 

Thanks for the snaps!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 08:55:08 AM »

Ryanair was ok, except when you arrive on time they play a fanfare.

Last time I was in Stockholm .. we turned up and there was no flight at all!  Ryanair hadn't bothered in any way to use the email and mobile phone number these pirates voleurs noble aviators insist you provide before they "charge you for paying"!  There was a later flight, we'd been rebooked en block and  all just sat at the airport for 4 hours .. having had to leave one of the best capitals in Europe just before lunch time to catch the s0dding plane.

I digress :|bl in my day the CASTAGNARI sign was totally plain and half the size of the on in Tim's photo.  Guess planning regulations have changed?  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Tamba

• Respected Sage
  • Busilacchio
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 09:13:46 PM »

OK.... my visit to Castagnari.
I 'm not going to post a lot of pictures, the ones on the Castagnari website are much better and I don't want to spoil it for anyone who wants to see it with their own eyes. I spent a fascinating, exciting and inspiring hour being shown around by Sandro, who is a gentleman. I was taken throughout the workshops, introduced to everyone and was overwhelmed by the skill and attention to detail that I witnessed. The whole place smelt of wood and glue and there were bits of squeezebox piled high all around, I think that is what heaven must be like. I had a good look/squeeze at the Mas (lovely box and lovely grain to the wood) it was also the first time I had seen/heard the mute feature in the grille. I feel privileged to have had this opportunity and yes, I am saving up for a new box (so is my daughter who came with me and wants a Lilly). If anyone is thinking of visiting Castagnari then I would totally recommend it. So, just a few pictures, my daughter's favourite vintage box, Massimo finishing a box for the Basque market, waxing in the reeds (this lady was so skilled, no spillage, so even and so neat) and a PA that deserves an appearance on Melnet.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:27:42 PM by tamba »

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 10:37:15 PM »

Envious! How much did the tour cost?
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

KLR

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 01:20:10 AM »

Love the decor on that PA - looks like the facade of a Holiday Inn from the 1960s.   8)

Now, please tell me they were building a bunch of Riks.   ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal