Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Fairly) New keyboard layout  (Read 2242 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
(Fairly) New keyboard layout
« on: November 17, 2008, 10:57:58 AM »

A few years ago, I devised a new layout for a three-row melodeon that has generated quite a bit of interest. A few people have asked me to post it here, so I have attached a PDF file to this posting. I think it is fairly self-explanatory, but the main reasons for devising it were
  • to include the main accidentals encountered in D & G;
  • to have three full octaves in D and G;
  • to have all the notes in the middle octave of D & G in both directions to make it easier to play triplets and right-hand chords;
  • to include the accidentals required for playing in such keys as C, F, Gm, etc.
The anxiety I felt when waiting for the prototype to arrive from Castagnari about whether this layout would work proved unfounded.  :D I find it a considerable improvement on standard configurations - especially the C, C#, D and E notes in the opposite directions, which I use frequently. I have two boxes with this layout and for the last three years have used them exclusively, having now sold my other boxes. Others who have bought boxes with, or converted boxes to, this configurations have been similarly enthusiastic, although I am sure it will have its detractors. C'est la vie!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

george garside

Re: (Fairly) New keyboard layout
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 12:43:55 PM »

A few years ago, I devised a new layout for a three-row melodeon that has generated quite a bit of interest. A few people have asked me to post it here, so I have attached a PDF file to this posting. I think it is fairly self-explanatory, but the main reasons for devising it were
  • to include the main accidentals encountered in D & G;
  • to have three full octaves in D and G;
  • to have all the notes in the middle octave of D & G in both directions to make it easier to play triplets and right-hand chords;
  • to include the accidentals required for playing in such keys as C, F, Gm, etc.
The anxiety I felt when waiting for the prototype to arrive from Castagnari about whether this layout would work proved unfounded.  :D I find it a considerable improvement on standard configurations - especially the C, C#, D and E notes in the opposite directions, which I use frequently. I have two boxes with this layout and for the last three years have used them exclusively, having now sold my other boxes. Others who have bought boxes with, or converted boxes to, this configurations have been similarly enthusiastic, although I am sure it will have its detractors. C'est la vie!

Hi Bob

Looks very interesting  and obviously does what you want of it.  However  a  BCC# would do it in a much more logical way  as learning to play in 5 scales (keys) including 3 on the row so really only 4 for anyone converting from a Dg,  will give you  12 keys so 7 come free of charge!  /also  accidentals are readily available in either direction should they be needed 'out of key'.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Re: (Fairly) New keyboard layout
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 02:10:43 PM »

George wrote
a  BCC# would do it in a much more logical way 

You are probably right George - I wouldn't know because I have never played a B/C/C# box - but playing in D or G on a B/C/C# box would require learning a different fingering pattern, whereas moving from a standard D/G box to my system has required fairly minor adjustments.

Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal