Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capturing youtube vids - Firefox playing up?  (Read 1980 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Capturing youtube vids - Firefox playing up?
« on: October 29, 2012, 02:24:13 PM »

Hi All,
Just trying to download the wonderful Andy Cutting videos as per Gary's 'Spagetti Panic' thread.
I've sometimes found firefox + free video download facility to stumble a bit, but get there in the end.
I tried to get these vid's, both yesterday and today but without success. They start off too fast with intermittent sound and are unwatchable.
Has anyone had problems with a previously reliable Firefox set up?

I find with broadband variable, the only safe way to watch properly is to donload and convert to ipod compatible.
.....p'raps I'll try again tomorrow :=(
Q
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:48:45 PM by Thrupenny Bit »
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Thrupenny Bit

Re: Capturing youtuve vids - Firefox playing up?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »

from the deafening silence it must be only me......
Just deleted 17 attempts from my Trash. None work properly.Either too fast, sound dropping out, no picture, or often a combination of all.
Have just taken an update from Firefox, and a new download helper, but still nothing.
It always used to work well....  >:(

So, if the firefox downloader is temporarily or permanently borked, anyone out ther use a reliable downloader to download and convert to an ipod compatible video?
In the past I have used the Firefox method to allow me to watch using a permanent copy of a vid on my ipod so therefore unaffected by busy times, like evenings, when I find Youtube stutters and is unwatchable. It's been a great learning tool so feel a bit a frustrated...
Q.
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Graham Collicutt

• Regular debater
Re: Capturing youtube vids - Firefox playing up?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 02:07:33 PM »

I use realplayer: the video downloader installs in IE ( not 64 bit versions ). When you view video or listen to mp3s in IE an option to download pops up. Videos are saved in Realplayer library.

The other benefit is that it will find most cd track titles which Media Player refuses to find.

Video download is not an option in Chrome ( against Google's terms. )

Graham

Jinkers1

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »

You don't mention what platform you are using.I use a Mac and have always had good results with iTubeX.  I have made a download of the video in question and put it up on Dropbox if you'd like to see if it works for you:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61700296/Andy%20Cutting%20a%20Bricherasio%202.m4v

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 03:51:31 PM »

Hi Graham,
thanks for your help.
I'm using Vista with Office 2010 on top and have used Firefox browser successfully for downloading as previously stated.
In between posts I've uninstalled Firefox then re-loaded. I pasted one of the Cutting vid's into the new browser, got a page of script and an error code with a message that a load of monkeys were currently trying to resolve the problem!!
I've just tried again, at least got the vid up and playing, and am attempting a download and conversion.

I can't open Dropbox, sorry, especially after you've gone to the trouble of copying it there.
I could load Realplayer as IE is what I normally use to browse. Will Real player also convert to .mp4v ( ipod compatible)?
.....cos that's what i really need to do, then can listen and watch, headphones on, sat beside the fire whilst the family watch something else on the telly!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Jinkers1

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 03:59:24 PM »

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »

I tried generating another link, if you'd like to try again:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/780dox7ngfdjaoq/-EFXDAhq-n/Andy%20Cutting%20a%20Bricherasio%202.m4v

I can view it on a Nexus tablet under Chrome  ;)

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 04:45:23 PM »

Arghhh.... got sidetracked.
All is now calm, especially as got a nice cup of tea with me  (:)

I've followed Graham's advice - downloaded Real Player, installed it, went straight to the first Cutting vid - success!
It downloaded and i asked it to convert to ipod which it did quite happily and i can view it in iTunes so that'll  get loaded up when I syn my ipod.
I'll now happily ditch Firefox and stick with IE + Real Player
It also looks like I can open Dropbox, thanks for your trouble, but I'll now go straight to RP and start downloading.
Thanks again for all the advice.
.....and it's a nice cup of tea too  ;D
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 05:20:11 PM »

The Firefox YouTube download plug in works fine on the Mac when you download as MP3.

Does not work so well for MP4 and other formats.  If MP3 128 bit sound is good enough, not a bad utility.

Though I have found it reduces Anahata's (nice) Oakwood sound to nothing special.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »

Though I have found it reduces Anahata's (nice) Oakwood sound to nothing special.

I think there's something about the sound of that Oakwood that really messes up MP3 encoders...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 10:25:02 PM »

To conclude:
Thanks to Graham I've downloaded Real Player and successfully got all the Cutting vid's on my ipod, and can listen and watch whilst toasting tootsies beside the woodburner.
....bliss!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal