Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: treble blocks on Hohner (1926)  (Read 3332 times)

KWIMER

treble blocks on Hohner (1926)
« on: November 17, 2008, 09:24:50 PM »

the top two notes on each of the blocks is without a valve.   Is it missing or was it left off intentio0nally?

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Re: treble blocks on Hohner (1926)
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 10:04:47 PM »

That's the way it should be. With smaller reeds the amount of air lost through the none playing reed is less than that required by the playing reed to open a valve so they are left out.

Pete.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

KWIMER

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »

Thank you.   It's nice to have someplace like this to get info on stuff I know very little about.

finnhorse

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 04:11:09 AM »

I'm curious about two things: 1) how did you arrive at that date for the blocks? and 2) it's hard to tell from the photo, but when I zoom in, the reeds look bronze, not steel?

KWIMER

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 07:09:37 PM »

inside the treble side there is a signature, and a date of 9/8/26   and yes the reeds look like brass.

finnhorse

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 09:54:42 PM »

It's fun when you actually get a date for the box, either service work or a production date.

Considering the bronze reeds + the date, is there any chance we can see photos of the whole box?  May be of help dating other instruments.. 

KWIMER

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 11:56:01 PM »

Here it is.   I am getting ready to strip down and rebuild the bellows, sand, and then stain the box.

I may need to replace some of the leathers if I can't get them straight.  Someone has patched with duct tape, electrical tape etc.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 12:08:39 AM »

Here it is.   I am getting ready to strip down and rebuild the bellows, sand, and then stain the box.

Ouch!!!  please don't sand down the woodwork, it looks like the original finish, and really in quite nice condition.  Old boxes like these need to be treated sympathetically pleeease!

The bellows does look in need of repair,

I may need to replace some of the leathers if I can't get them straight.  Someone has patched with duct tape, electrical tape etc.

There is little point in trying to straighten old leathers,  any improvement will be temporary.  Use new ones.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

KWIMER

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 12:21:56 AM »

The grill was sanded before I got it.  My sister found in in a second hand store in Grand Island Nebraska. I have been mixing stain trying to match it, but no joy yet.

the bellows is glued to the treble side, and I won't be able to remove it with considerable damage.  I have purchased new gussets, new corners, paper for the bellows and tape.  I replace the felt on the flappers and trying to straighten the leather valves.  Prior to taking off the duct tape I played it and it sounds pretty good, only problem was a couple of the leathers had fallen off, and they hare now reattached.

finnhorse

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 03:00:49 AM »

I have a similar box dating within 2 years of yours, but made by Koch.  Same keyboard and grille, different bellows. 

When you play (particularly the outer row) do the backs of the levers clatter against the grille?  The space allowed for the buttons to travel downward on the open keyboard allow the levers to lift too high and hit the grille. 

Thinking of an easy fix for this, somehow padding the undersides of the buttons to limit travel, or placing a soft strip on the back of the grille to cut down on the noise and impact stress.  Not like a new closed-keyboard Hohner where fixing button travel is easier.  Wondering if you had the same issue.   :-\

KWIMER

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2008, 04:46:44 AM »

When you play (particularly the outer row) do the backs of the levers clatter against the grille?

No.  Mine stops short of the Grille. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal