Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Off topic stuff  (Read 2210 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Off topic stuff
« on: November 02, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »

Hi Theo and Clive,

I have just noticed that a poster got a gentle reprimand for asking about guitar strings because the topic is not relevant to melodeons.

I agree... but I would draw your attention to the fact that the general discussion board seems to be attracting threads on topics that are a great deal more irrelevant - sweets handed out to kids and Hallowe'en, radio hams, and so on.

Cheers
Steve

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Off topic stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 02:10:10 PM »

I agree... but I would draw your attention to the fact that the general discussion board seems to be attracting threads on topics that are a great deal more irrelevant - sweets handed out to kids and Hallowe'en, radio hams, and so on.
Ah - but that's all about reinforcing bonds and on-line relationships between melnet members, and so, bizarrely, is probably more relevant than discussing guitar strings.  ;)

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 02:21:06 PM »

I think it's a lot to do with virtually recreating the feel of a folk session, and the load of old toot that gets talked about in pubs.  :D
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 02:27:04 PM »

Should be resurrect the Thread Drift thread   >:E

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 03:12:25 PM »

I do think that the current off-topic threads detract from the ethos of melnet, but the OP of one of threads concerned cunningly wove melodeons into the initial posts making it difficult to decide to kill it at the start.

I think it's a lot to do with virtually recreating the feel of a folk session, and the load of old toot that gets talked about in pubs.  :D

I don't really agree.  Thread drift is one thing, and can add a sense of fun and playfulness,  but deliberately starting off-topic threads can be distracting, especially when the volume of posts is greater than on on-topic subjects in the same forum.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 04:33:24 PM »

I see no harm in the odd off-topic thread/post if people are having fun, as a social event, as long as it doesn't take up too much server space; deleting them when they have run their course seems to be the way to do that.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Andrew Shead

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 01:33:16 AM »

I think Steve Jones is correct, especially as I've just posted a couple of off-topic replies today when I should be spending my time practicing on my box. I'm going to try to stay on-topic from now onwards.
Primo D/G Scholar.

Tunes executed: any instrument convenient as a gallows.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal