Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wanted! - Simon Melia CD  (Read 4061 times)

Hasse

• Respected Sage
Wanted! - Simon Melia CD
« on: November 20, 2008, 07:42:06 PM »

I've been for looking the Simon Melia CD "Last Nights Fun". As I recall there was a thread about him on the old melodeon.net, but I couldn't find anything when I went back looking.
I know it's possible to buy the CD from this Australian site http://www.acrosstheborders.com.au/cdshop-melia.htm, but they only accept Mastercard!?! Do anyone know of a European site that got this CD for sale??

I just can't stand not owning that CD anylonger.  :(

Had an other look around the old melodeon.net and found the nice thread about Simon Melia.
http://melodeon.aimoo.com/melodeon-net/Simon-Melia-Irish-music-on-a-P-1-700075.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 08:25:46 PM by Hasse »
Sweden, Skåne

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Wanted! - Simon Melia CD
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:14:21 PM »

Hasse,

Here's another sample while you're waiting:  http://www.rogermillington.com/steam/CalliopeHouse.mp3

On the Across the borders page you linked to there is the e-mail address of John McAuslan, old friend and bandmate of mine and Simon's, who pretty much runs the show there. Might be worth contacting him and asking whether there is any other way you could pay for the purchase - e.g. stuffing a few euros in an envelope. Tell him I sent you.

Steve

Don Roberts

• Good talker
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »

Very good Steve, thanks for posting  ;) Wonder what button box he's playing ?
C#/D CBA  PA  GBH  SSP CD DVD BVD LS/MFT

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 03:14:33 PM »

D/G Pokerwork. The successor to the one shown in the photo in the thread on the old forum that Hasse linked to - which as you can see there, was rapidly approaching the end of its useful life.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 03:35:13 PM »

D/G Pokerwork.

But considerably tweaked - dry tuned and I don't hear any Hohner percussion section!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:35:41 PM »

But considerably tweaked - dry tuned and I don't hear any Hohner percussion section!

I've often wondered who 'set up' Simon's Hohner polkerwork DG to give that smooth sound. Of course the fluency he achieved was all down to his own natural playing style! Does anyone in Melbourne still play his box?

Hasse

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 06:38:31 PM »

Hi Steve! Thanks for the tip and link to the sound sample, just making me want the CD even more!!!!  :)
Sweden, Skåne

Hasse

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 07:43:44 PM »

I've been mailing with John McAuslan, and it seems like its possible to pay with VISA after all. Now they have even put the VISA symbol beside the MasterCard in their online shop. So all you with a VISA cards go right ahead and order your Simon Melia CD, I just did!  :D

I really like what little I've heard from his playing, he seemed to have been really accomplished with a special soul and rough feel to his playing. What a shame he died so young.  If you still haven't heard any recordings with Simon Melia playing ITM on a D/G pokerwork, you should try the links from above. 

D/G Pokerwork.

Listen to the first soundsample in my link to Across the Borders and you'll hear some Hohner percussion performance!  ;)

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:27:42 PM by Hasse »
Sweden, Skåne
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal