Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner Vallenato  (Read 1500 times)

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
Hohner Vallenato
« on: November 05, 2012, 02:12:08 PM »

I`ve just got a used F/Bb/Eb Vallenato to give me the key I`m missing for Alpine music and also to play along with the woodwind in the folk group - Firstly apologise for believing internet misinformation and saying they were plastic cased, of course as theo and others said, it`s painted wood.. Painted Wood opens up opportunities for easy customization whether back to natural wood or re-painting, Blinging or wild colours etc.

It sounds excellent , the bass end could benefit from a tuneup but it`s close enough for Jazz - what I can`t understand is their almost limiting this model to the south american market - why didn`t they cover it in Alpine Flowers, give it two Gleichtions and call it the Alpina Mini for their home market ? (ideal for playing in bands with a Bariton Horn where the Steirische`s Helikons aren`t used) . it plays well too and doesn`t suffer the Pokerwork/Erica dissappearing buttons issue. it could do with real bellows tape but the adjustable bass strap is a big bonus ! .

Just thought I`d start a thread on this box which over this end of the planet is more use as a makeshift Shand or Steirische treble end wise - Stick the bass end off a Student (or whatever) PA on it and the BCC# version would be a superb entry level for Scottish music too !, the 12 basses of the Stradella trichord I`d imagine were limiting anyway and 3 voice trikes aren`t exactly poking out of skips.

Anyone else have one ? done any mods to it ? found a cheap source of ADG ones (though a compadre would be more Morrisable thesedays)
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
Re: Hohner Vallenato
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »

Quite frankly I didn`t think there`d be a lot of interest as its hardly Morris Material but thought I`d post a Follow up .

Build doesn`t seem that much different to the recent (non Classic or Extreme) Corona models, in fact the plastic fingerboard has a metal base unlike the Classic`s wooden one which has a plastic base..

the pallets and soundboard under the grille aren`t as finished as well, the mech looks the same. the Grille is Aluminium (and screaming out for a Silver or white grille cloth)..

Things I`m going to do - replace the typical pokerwork bellows straps with the Baffetti style swivel type, replace the bass strap with something nicer and adjusts better, try and remove the thumb strap without making a mess, get the bass end tuned - miraculously the treble end IS tuned but then it originated from Rees (he sold it new, it wasn`t one of his boxes) which may explain that  .....

Things I`d LIKE to do but won`t get around to  ::) - replace the bellows with lovely old Super-Supple Club-IIB ones if possible - the stock ones work but are cheap & papery - recent corona ones aren`t as cheap but are stiff, I loved the ones on my Club-IIIBS . at worst I`ll just get them re-taped with Charlies stripey Italian tape. I`d like to put a Corona Classic type fingerboard and Xtreme style black pearloid buttons on both ends and a Corona Xtreme Grille .... Nope It`ll never be an Xtreme-IIIV but it`s close enough for the severe cash diff

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 06:43:24 PM »

Nearly bought one but went for the Xtreme IIIN instead.  More money but I'm really pleased with it.  I was worried that the Vallenato might be too wet with three reeds of slightly different tuning.  How do you find it Adam?
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 07:00:20 PM »

It`s funny really, one thing I almost added to my "to do" list was to have it tuned WIDER - it`s not got that famous wetness a Shand or 4 voice Paolo has (which I love) let alone the almost Vulgar wetness of a Corso but I do like its almost Strasseresque tuning (which was unexpected) ..

Of course the Xtremes are the ultimate Hohner melodeons thesedays (anacletos are made by Piermaria (IMC) not Hohner so don`t count), I`d love an Xtreme-IIIV non-coupler version with Helikon bass in ADG but it ain`t gonna happen.. the IIIN Of course has the flexibility of the couplers, the ability to select single voices .

I have to say that I`m really liking the Vallenato, it`s way exceeded my expectations in playability, I expected diving buttons, slower action than the Coronas and air hungry reeds, thankfully this isn`t the case -sound was as expected, It`s a recent MMM hohner with (what I'd call) relatively conservative tuning..
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 07:01:57 PM by Adam-T »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal