Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Hohner"? Pokerwork on e-bay  (Read 4252 times)

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
"Hohner"? Pokerwork on e-bay
« on: November 05, 2012, 07:51:44 PM »

Is this genuine - the pokerwork and body looks a bit "different"?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hohner-D-G-Melodeon-/150941161571?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
Re: "Hohner"? Pokerwork on e-bay
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 07:53:28 PM »

Looks like a Saxony pokerworkalike to me , there are quite a few different ones - it`d be interesting to see what it`s like inside and how it sounds / plays .
Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 07:55:03 PM »

Looks like a Saxony pokerworkalike to me , there are quite a few different ones - it`d be interesting to see what it`s like inside and how it sounds / plays .

Someone will have to travel to Kettering to find out!!
Brian Read
A STREB!!,
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 07:56:49 PM »

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 08:53:30 PM »

The one in the original post looks to be a Weltmeister.

Rob.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 09:03:39 PM »

Rob.

Similar maybe, but not branded so may not be up to Weltmeister quality.   Almost certainly from the GDR era when some of the worst boxes were made.  They can be even worse to play than the cheapest Chinese boxes being produced today.  Can also be ok, but a wise buyer will arrange to try before bidding.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

brianread

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 09:36:21 PM »

I've got this back from the seller:

"Hello,
We had researched the instrument and believed it to be a Hohner. It has a very small plate on the back saying 'Made in German Democratic Republic'. I do not wish to make any attempt to dismantle it and risk damaging it. As stated, we inherited the instrument and have no detailed knowledge beyond the research we carried out.
Hope this helps.
".
Brian Read
A STREB!!,

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 07:24:06 AM »

Well that says it all . they`ve looked into it and because its goldbrand "it`s a hohner" despite being made in the GDR .. I guess the next move is for someone to tell them "it`s not a Hohner and if you persist in selling it as Hohner then don`t be suprised if you get it back". 

brianread

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 07:37:41 AM »

I've sent them a link to this thread.
Brian Read
A STREB!!,

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 10:06:57 AM »

A while ago a friend gave me one of these to try and to see if I could improve the response. I can honestly say it was the worse melodeon I have ever played. The reeds were stiff and unresponsive and fitted with thick leather valves. Changing a couple of the valves to vinyl didn't make much difference. The reeds were still unresponsive and with a relatively large gap around the reed tongue, used a lot of air for not much sound.

The action was heavily sprung and noisy. The interior casework looked as if it had been made of old orange boxes and which had never even seen a single sheet of sandpaper.

Altogether very horrid and as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I think it could have gone on the fire without a moment's hesitation.
The only thing really worth salvaging was the bellows which weren't too bad and could have been usefully converted into a tuning bellows.

My friend got rid of the instrument soon after (and bought a PA  :o, but that's another story).

Avoid these instruments like the plague!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 10:47:37 PM »

A while ago a friend gave me one of these to try and to see if I could improve the response. I can honestly say it was the worse melodeon I have ever played. The reeds were stiff and unresponsive and fitted with thick leather valves. Changing a couple of the valves to vinyl didn't make much difference. The reeds were still unresponsive and with a relatively large gap around the reed tongue, used a lot of air for not much sound.

The action was heavily sprung and noisy. The interior casework looked as if it had been made of old orange boxes and which had never even seen a single sheet of sandpaper.

Altogether very horrid and as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I think it could have gone on the fire without a moment's hesitation.
The only thing really worth salvaging was the bellows which weren't too bad and could have been usefully converted into a tuning bellows.

My friend got rid of the instrument soon after (and bought a PA  :o, but that's another story).

Agreed..... I one bought one of these  :|bl

But only for 75 quid as I needed a decent set of bellows for a proper old hohner restoration, and the ones on these GDR boxes do the job quite nicely!. Most of the rest got stripped and kept for spares, or binned!
Faversham, Kent

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 11:46:00 PM »

I agree, Steve. Neil had one identical to this, think he'd paid about £50 for it - horrible, and the buttons kept getting caught under the fingerboard, so unplayable to me. Certainly not a Hohner - nothing like, in finish.

Diane

Martyn

• Respected Sage
  • Hohnerohner
    • Martyn White Melodeon Tuning and Repairs
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 12:36:08 AM »

And if they break a spring you might as well just salvage the few parts that might be useful one day and bin what's left  :(

Martyn
'Anything from a small repair to a full restoration'.
www.melodeonrepairs.co.uk

Christopher K.

• Content Manager
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 07:51:09 AM »

Rob.

Similar maybe, but not branded so may not be up to Weltmeister quality.   Almost certainly from the GDR era when some of the worst boxes were made.  They can be even worse to play than the cheapest Chinese boxes being produced today.  Can also be ok, but a wise buyer will arrange to try before bidding.

Not that everything Weltmeister produced back then was great, either. I once bought one of those big red celluloid Weltmeisters with white buttons. It was left near mint for a reason - the worst accordion I've ever played.

Def play before buying!

Gyurme

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 05:10:57 PM »

This one really IS a Hohner but is badged Beaver ..... Confusing aint it  ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEAVER-BUTTON-ACCORDION-ACCORDIAN-/251179221991?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item3a7b72c3e7

can anyone shed any light on why this goes under the guise of 'Beaver Brand'? :|glug
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 05:26:38 PM by Uncle Matt »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 06:00:09 PM »

It is one of several "own brands" that Hohner made instruments for.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal