Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Right hand chords?  (Read 2259 times)

911377brian

Right hand chords?
« on: October 31, 2012, 04:25:28 PM »

My left hand was crushed many years ago but being young at the time it mended reasonably quickly. Now that old age has me firmly by the throat the only digit that works properly is my thumb, so playing the bass end is well nigh impossible.I really miss the grunters and wondered if there was a system of playing chords on the right hand to keep some 'depth' in the music ? [Deeply frustrating as it took a long time to get used to the bass end.]I play one rows in A and D.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Right hand chords?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 05:27:48 PM »

(Vaguely remembered) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiMzATQ-1I0 a lot of it is hearing chords that aren't really there "quickness of hand deceives the ear" but it's certainly effective. Some of the "broken" chords he demo's seem to involve suck/blow in the same harmony!  And i do think breaking them is important somehow. Rees and co, or East Anglians/Québécians will know more.

True chords? Well, technically a very limited palate .  A 2-row is  better, 3-row best (look at what those TexMex'res do). But its amazing what y'can do with just one row ....  Good luck and sorry to hear about the arthritis :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

911377brian

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 09:25:01 AM »

Thanks for that Chris.There are times when I ask questions on Melnet  when I wonder just how obvious the answer is to the more experienced members, but I've always found the answers helpful and never dismissive or patronising. Your answer makes perfect sense...

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 10:43:53 AM »

RH harmonies are very much part of my 1-row style.

I suppose THIS is an example of the the kind of thing I mean. Especially second time through the tune, when I've added harmony but only on the right hand side.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

george garside

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »

I think there is much to be said for playing on the row on 2 row boxes as there is a great deal of harmony waiting under the fingers so to speak.  ( as demonstrated by Anahata on 1 row)  It is for that reason that I prefer staying on the row much of the time ( but there are times when I prefer to cross row)  .  Virtually any on the row handful on the push will harmonise and most but not quite all will on the pull.  Following the same procedure it is quite easy to add an extra layer of right hand rhythm by tapping another button or buttons (other than the ones in the tune) rather than holding down as a chord.

Playing in octaves can also be very efective   as on the row   push notes repeat every 4th button and pull notes every 5th  so for example if the 1st finger is playing G the pinky should be dangling somewhere in the region of the next G up the scale.    I have had my lilly converted to 4th button start  with the low notes keeping in line with the 4 art push & 5 apart pull

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal