Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Box playing friend with a problem needs help  (Read 3657 times)

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
Box playing friend with a problem needs help
« on: November 21, 2008, 05:22:31 PM »

Hi everyone,

I got an email from a friend in Hatsings today. Her husband who has been playing box for over 30 years has just badly injured his shoulder. This is the email I got today-

"We are desperately trying to access a streb eMelodeon, yes an electronic
job!! Stop shuddering!
 Will has got a nasty shoulder injury and needs something PDQ which doesn't
need an almighty push to it. Chap on line says he's got an 18month waiting
list.............have you seen anything like that, has anyone got one to be
begged, borrowed or stolen up your end of the worl? Any ideas very
gratefully received, all the best, Jane, & Will too."

Can anyone help/suggest anything to help with this. I've sent them as many suggestions as I can think of, including talking to us lot on here, Peter Hyde's boxes, Castagnari lillys, Hohner Lilliputs etc

:-\
Faversham, Kent

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
Re: Box playing friend with a problem needs help
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 01:56:01 PM »

I have a Streb; they come with regular Pokerwork bellows and it's the bellows action that determines the volume of the note. I'm not sure that it's actually a solution to the problem of someone who's injured his shoulder as my Streb is not by any means the easiest box I have to play. (My just-overhauled-by-Theo Liliput is very easy to play, as is my now-neglected Serenellini). The advantage of the Streb is that they can be set so that a very small push generates a sound, but even so I'm not convinced, because if you set the control so that notes come in instantly, you get unintended bellows reversal noises. 

And as for the substantial query; I'm sorry, but I can't let mine go.

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 07:08:48 PM »

I know. I've played a Streb so I know they're not the easiest way round this problem. I have already mentioned this to Will, who is suffering with te problem. But I'll put any interesting developments on this on here here as the situation progresses.
Faversham, Kent

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 01:53:24 PM »

I've been thinking more about this. Is the problem a volume one, or can he not play his existing boxes at all? Because if the former, then amplification might be the way to go.

And what does he want to do that's so urgent? If it's just that he's going bonkers not being able to play, then I truly think that getting a Theo-overhauled Liliput (or Preciosa) is the way to go; mine is really light and incredibly smooth to play. It's a far cheaper option than a Streb, too! But if he's essential to the functioning of a morris side or similar, then I'm not sure the Liliput will deliver the volume (or rather, not without the almighty push referred to below), and I am just not sure there's going to be an easy answer apart from time.

Matthew B

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 01:59:10 PM »

My Liliput is pretty loud: I don't know if it would meet the needs of Morris playing, but it carries pretty well outdoors.  It's very light, and has a very fast response.  Played very quietly a couple of the lower reeds "misfire" a little, so that might be a problem, but with a little volume this difficulty vanishes.  And the original strap system might need some modification, depending on the location of the injury.  I would say it's certainly worth a try, though.
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 04:15:32 PM »

A Lilliput in good nick is plenty loud enough for morris, and a Preciosa even more so, I can't think of many louder two row boxes bar the 4+ voice ones sometimes used for Irish music.

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 01:11:30 PM »

I've been thinking more about this. Is the problem a volume one, or can he not play his existing boxes at all? Because if the former, then amplification might be the way to go.

And what does he want to do that's so urgent? If it's just that he's going bonkers not being able to play, then I truly think that getting a Theo-overhauled Liliput (or Preciosa) is the way to go; mine is really light and incredibly smooth to play. It's a far cheaper option than a Streb, too! But if he's essential to the functioning of a morris side or similar, then I'm not sure the Liliput will deliver the volume (or rather, not without the almighty push referred to below), and I am just not sure there's going to be an easy answer apart from time.

The latter. Can't play at all at the moment. And he plays (and runs) an Irish session on wednesday nights and has at least one ceilidh (with amplification) every weekend, sometimes two. So he is in a bit of a rush for a box, and I have already suggested a Lilliput.

The reason the doctor has given for his problems is that he's played at the Irish session and at least 1 ceilidh pretty much every week for 30 years. He has always held his box on 1 strap, and the doc thinks this is whats caused the problems. I believe there's a thread around about this at the moment to...
Faversham, Kent

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 01:14:58 PM »

Well perhaps his next step should be to try using two straps.  It certainly means you have to use your arms/hands/shoulders in different ways. There is no waiting list for straps!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Jeff

• Salterelle Pastourelle II & Hohner Erica, both D/G
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 06:32:44 PM »

Katie Howson related at Witney how she saw someone who put their right leg through the shoulder strap, pulled it up under their bum, so that the box sits in the usual place on the left leg.  This way there is no pull on the back at all.

Sounds odd.  Feels odd.  But it might work.

Cheers
Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal