Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing B/C melodeon in other keys  (Read 8704 times)

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
Re: Playing B/C melodeon in other keys
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2012, 08:00:21 PM »

I don't think it's helpful to categorize anyone's point of view on the subject of fingering as dogmatic. People who say avoid using the little finger are really only trying to pass on something that has proved helpful

Well said Steve. As with the Perl motto TIMTOWTDI (There's more than one way to do it) flexibility is an invaluable rubric.

With specific reference to the current discussion, I have found it a useful exercise to restrict the number of fingers used, rather than defining the limit by excluding certain fingers. By which I mean that in excluding the little finger, one is effectively limiting the number of available fingers to three. The reverse of which might be to exclude the index finger and then to articulate the chosen melody using the middle finger, ring finger and little finger. Not necessarily something that I would advocate in public performance, but a good exercise for breaking bad habits, strengthening weaker fingers and freeing mental restrictions.

This can be extended to practicing using only the middle and ring finger or the ring finger and little finger, in exactly the same way that the index finger and middle finger can be used as a symbiotic pair.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:19:42 PM by Mike Hirst »
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2012, 09:32:49 PM »

I leave dogma to priests

but I suppose a box playing vicar will now post telling me I really must play with my little finger or I'll not go to heaven
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

FlatNote

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »

I leave dogma to priests

but I suppose a box playing vicar will now post telling me I really must play with my little finger or I'll not go to heaven

Isn't the harp the instrument of choice in Heaven?  I believe the old Irish harpists often used to cut off their little fingers so that they didn't hinder their playing.  Perhaps they were thinking along the lines of "And if thy little finger offend thee, cut it off and cast if from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast down into the hell reserved for those who use the fingerings of others"!

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »

perishing members indeed

everyone knows that the accordion, along with the banjo, provides the mood music for Lucifer's place.  Warmer, and more interesting company than the other place I hope

see you there when I finally join the house band
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

george garside

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2012, 07:22:44 PM »

>:E
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

eric

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2012, 12:09:07 PM »

I've finally realised what my problem is with playing D major on the B-C melodeon. By the way, thanks everyone for all the useful tips and encouragement, also the self-indulgent irrelevances and hectoring diatribes. Can't have too many of those, can we? I also play a C=G 20-button anglo concertine (don't laugh), but  being just a, what was the phrase, "dabbler in bisonoric two-row land", Ive got used to playing the two major scales as push-pull-push-pull-push-pull-pull-push etc. exactly as on the melodeon in fact, though even on the anglo changing rows out of convenience or necessity is quite the norm - sorry, I mean default sesh paradigm. Coming suddenly to playing D major on the B-C I find I have to go pull-push-push-push-pull-pull-pull-pull, which for a while seemed quite ab(default sesh paradigm)al. I'm getting used to it, though, with practice, and don't worry about how many fingers I'm using. At the moment however I'm playing a bit like (Default sesh paradigm)an Wisdom.

Eric

Johnf

• Regular debater
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2012, 04:25:36 PM »

I have been playing a one row 4 voice Lousiana made Cajun box for some years now, but have just acquired a BC Double Ray. I see one problem in learning the B/C is playing single notes as cajun music involves quite a few chords (many of them discordant) as well as different rythmns.  I can see how playing mainly with two or three fingers can be an advantage. Also, not using the thumb strap in order to free your right hand to move up and down the keyboard. (I now know why the Double Ray has that rough black button on the B row). All the above advice is very much appreciated.
Austin Texas
C "LeCapitaine"
B/C "Double Ray"
Mandolin
Pennywhistle

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2012, 03:05:14 AM »

Too late to contribute anything useful but if I may restate Steve: "le doigté des autres, c'est l'enfer." That should be a book title (I speak as an inveterate believer in the pinkie. To restate George Orwell: Four fingers good, three fingers bad.)
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en Ré
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal