Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B/C to 1-row D  (Read 1342 times)

deltasalmon

B/C to 1-row D
« on: November 09, 2012, 03:40:54 PM »

This has probably been discussed before but I couldn't find anything.

I want to get a one-row melodeon and have been debating whether to get one in the key of C or D. I play a B/C now so a one-row C would be like playing the inside row. This seems like a good idea to me because I wouldn't have to learn a new system. However I'm much more limited in my ability to play with others if I have a C melodeon because of the lack of F#s and C#s that are common in Irish trad. This makes me think a D melodeon would be a better choice. My main worry is that once I get a D melodeon I would then want to replace my B/C with a C#/D. I'm not really interested in buying two melodeons right now so I would prefer this doesn't happen.

Does any one that plays BC and 1-row D have any problem switching between the two? Do you find it easy to learn a tune on one system and then carry it over to the other? Am I better off sticking with what I know and getting a 1-row C?
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
Re: B/C to 1-row D
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 03:44:17 PM »

My sense is that it depends on what you want to do with it.  If you're playing tunes in D on the B/C, then the fingerings won't be transferable.  If you've been playing along one row on the B/C than those fingerings will be transferable, but the key will shift.  One row D playing sounds great, but it's different from the B/C.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 04:21:49 PM »

If you're playing Irish trad on your B/C, I don't really see how you are going to be able to transfer much in the way of fingerings to a one-row instrument, apart from the relatively few tunes that don't require you to use the outer row on your B/C - mainly tunes in G with gapped scales (such as Out on the Ocean), tunes in D minor, or possibly tunes in C major, if you play any of those.

I think you should get a one-row in D. Yes you'll have to learn to play D tunes on the row, but that's pretty basic stuff. Minor brain-wiring will be required, but it will make you a better box player all-round. I don't see why this should set off a hankering for C#/D - there are lots of fine B/C players who also play one-row D boxes.

And if it ever did lead you to cross over to the C#/D side, well... what could I say then.  Congratulations? ;)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 04:23:59 PM by Steve Jones »

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 02:06:21 AM »

And I agree with Steve--except for the last line.
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en Ré
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal