Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1960s Busilacchio Reed Organ  (Read 6685 times)

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
1960s Busilacchio Reed Organ
« on: November 22, 2012, 05:32:15 PM »

Amazing what a Tenner will get you, got this last week, couldn`t resist , had to take it apart to see what makes it tick (though had a good idea) ..

Badged Lorenzo but made by Busilacchio, interesting because rather than the usual 8 or 12 chord buttons (or if you`re very lucky, 16 button stradella with basses) , it`s all keyboard and 4 octaves worth .. the reeds are decent quality, on individual aluminium plates and glued in which is a good idea as it only plays in one direction and cuts the need for servicing (no wax to change). there`s no grille for the air input, just relies on the case letting in air , makes it a lot quieter (relatively silent)

Anyway here`s the pics , there`s even a webpage on these organs..

Q: How do you cure MAD?
A: Take a Break from Mel-Net. (IF YOU CAN)

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
Re: 1960s Busilacchio Reed Organ
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 05:34:15 PM »

Note the typically Italian styled plastic pallets and the concertina like reeds (bar shape) . the Organs I`ve seen before have been brass reeds riveted straight to the main frame of the organ (early Magnus) or entire moulded strips of plastic reeds glued to the plastic soundboard  (Bontempi)  ... steel reeds on individual plates is a big deal here I guess

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:38:04 PM by Adam-T »

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 06:47:06 PM »

Very nice indeed - my little Hohner Organetta 3 has a really noisy blower.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 06:50:53 PM »

Great purchase. I must confess a genuine liking for these things. I used to play one in a band set up. No analogue output, but a mic overhead picks up not just the rattle and clack of an accordion, but the motor noise and organ blower too !!!
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Mike Hirst

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 06:57:11 PM »

Very nice indeed - my little Hohner Organetta 3 has a really noisy blower.

I had great fun explaining to sound guy that the clack and the wheeze were in important element of the sound when we appeared as the last band on the main stage on the last night of the very last Elephant Fayre>:E
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 07:05:35 PM »

Rees, I nearly got one of those green  plastic organettas off E-Bay for a fiver + postage and if it had more keys I may have bidded ....

I always liked them too Mike, this one sounds like a harmonium on one stop, the Magnus I had was noisy and short of breath (the Brass reeds wouldn`t have helped that) . shouldn`t be too hard to put accordion mics inside this one but Miking it up is simpler.. could always put a hole in the bottom or rear to add bellows when the power goes out ;-)

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 01:44:33 PM »

I've got one very similar that I've had for nearly 50 years!  The blower sounds like a Hovercraft  ;)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 02:52:47 PM »

I've got one very similar that I've had for nearly 50 years!  The blower sounds like a Hovercraft  ;)
[/quote

Well, you obviously never slept with my Missus.
( acknowledgements to Eric McGill, seaside postcards)
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Adam-T

• Hohner Club-Too
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 03:17:39 PM »

this one is quite silent (so's the Missus thankfully) ..

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 08:06:54 PM »

Amazing what a Tenner will get you, got this last week, couldn`t resist , had to take it apart to see what makes it tick (though had a good idea) ..

Badged Lorenzo but made by Busilacchio, interesting because rather than the usual 8 or 12 chord buttons (or if you`re very lucky, 16 button stradella with basses) , it`s all keyboard and 4 octaves worth .. the reeds are decent quality, on individual aluminium plates and glued in which is a good idea as it only plays in one direction and cuts the need for servicing (no wax to change). there`s no grille for the air input, just relies on the case letting in air , makes it a lot quieter (relatively silent)

I've got one with 48 Bass stradella, the blower's a bit noisy however.  Four quid at the local car boot.

Steve

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 04:10:20 PM »

I've got one with 48 Bass stradella, the blower's a bit noisy however.  Four quid at the local car boot.

Steve

Thats cheap for a Missus   ;)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Mike Hirst

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »

A friend of mine got a goldfish for his missus last time the fair came to town. Fair swap.  >:E

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 10:17:23 PM »

A friend of mine got a goldfish for his missus last time the fair came to town. Fair swap.  >:E

Oh God!
I was in court today .  Result?
15 love.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal